System hangs during Windows Install

BestLaidSchemes

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Hello,

I bought several new parts for my computer a few months ago, and had them all working perfectly with Windows 7 up until a few days ago. I put the computer to sleep one day, and when I tried to wake it up I found that it appeared to be on, but was completely unresponsive. I had to hold the power button to shut it off. Then, I began to see random blue screens occasionally when starting up, but usually it would work fine.

Well, after a while it wouldn't start up at all, giving me blue screens 100% of the time. I had to format, and when I tried to reinstall Windows 7 I got a new problem all together.

Right at the beginning of install, I would click "install now" and when it progressed to the next page I would get an error saying "Load Driver: A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing." It would ask me to point to the driver, but it was nowhere to be found.

So, I tried installing from a USB flash drive, and even disconnecting the CD/DVD drives altogether, but the error still persisted. At this point, I could at least install Windows XP. I tried installing Windows 7 from XP, and it appeared to work, but upon booting into 7 it would hang during startup. Before I knew it, neither the XP install and 7 install would boot.

After wrestling with this error for a few days (to no avail) I tried to update to the latest BIOS for my motherboard.

Now, whenever I try to install any version of Windows it hangs. Specifically, in 7 (64-bit btw) it goes through the "Loading windows files..." progress bar, then displays "Starting Windows" where the 4 colored balls would show up, but it hangs before they are allowed to do so. When I try to install from DVD, it does the same except it hangs at a black screen before the "Starting Windows" screen can even be displayed.

My setup is as follows:

Mobo: Asus M4A785-V EVO
Memory: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz Socket AM3
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
GPU: 8800 GTS

I have tried booting with 1 stick of memory, integrated graphics, no USB devices plugged in... no luck. I have run a memory test with no errors. I left a HDD regenerator going last night, and it scanned about 15% of the hard drive with no errors, but I broke it off early because it was on pace to take about a week.

I have googled relentlessly about this, and none of the remedies I have found have worked.

Please help before I rip out what remaining hair I have! Thanks in advance!

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Obviously you have access to another computer. I would download and run Western Digital Lifeguard. Even it's extended test won't take a week on a Caviar Black 1 TB! That will definitively rule out the hard drive as the problem if it completes successfully. Next, I would go into the BIOS and reset it to the factory default settings. Hope this helps, and let me know the results!

BestLaidSchemes

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Thanks for the advice, Bolbi.

Unfortunately when I try to flash back to the old BIOS version it gives me an error message stating that the version I have is more current, and therefore it won't revert. I haven't had a chance to run the Lifeguard yet, but I was able to reinstall Windows XP again without any problem. When I attempt installing 7, though, I still hang at the "Starting Windows" screen.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I think you misunderstood what I was saying about the BIOS. I mean that, within the current BIOS version, there should be a Reset option somewhere that will set everything back to the default settings.

BestLaidSchemes

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Oh, sorry. I did reset to defaults on the current BIOS version I have. I ran the WD Lifeguard "quick test" moments ago and it passed. I'm running the "extended test" now with about 2 hours to go.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
What is the memory setting in the default Bios mode...
Your mobo seems to only like:

4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 1800(O.C.)*/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066/800 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory Dual Channel memory architecture

Going on, underclock yourd memory to 1333 and i can almost guarantee it will work. 1600MHz is the basically overclocking, even thou your memory is capable, I think its the mobo no liking 1600MHz anymore. Same thing happened to one of my friends worked fine for 6 months, then started getting the same symptoms so we underclocked the memory to what the board considered not OC'ed. Hope this helps.