Need opinions...new mobo or not?

gymscat

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Recently I have had a lot of problems with one of my three systems. The system in questioin is used for work related functions so high performance is not a priority. The specs are as follows:
AMD 1600+, MSI K7T266 Pro 2 mobo, 512 mb DDR Ram, Ati Radeon 9600 Pro Video, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound.
The problem started with intermittent and unpredictable stop errors, blue screens, sum check errors....it has been a nightmare and a time eater. So far I have bought new Ram, a new power supply and a new hard drive hoping that each would fix the problem.
The power supply was the last thing I tried but as I was trying to install windows on my brand new hdd I once again ran into error messages etc.
Bear in mind that I have run Memtest for hours and hours on both the old RAM and the new but each time it showed no errors at all.
Tonight I finally tried to install Win XP Pro with only one stick of RAM (256 mb) in the first slot and presto...it installed fine and so far it has run perfectly for about 8 hours with no problems at all.
This tells me that it must be a bad slot on the mobo.
Finally my question....what would you do? Would you just fill up the good slot with 512 mb of RAM (I need that much as run Photoshop a lot ) or bite the bullet and rip out the old mobo and stick in a new one?
Frankly I'm sick of messing with the darned thing. What do you think?
Thanks
Gary

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
When an old board starts going bad, if you're like most of us around here you'll spend endless hours beating on it till you figure out what's wrong. But if you're using it for work, I'd certainly buy a new board.

As for your 266 Pro2, I might try a BIOS flash and, as the other poster said, reapply your heat sink paste, including on the north bridge. If that doesn't cure it, go out and get a new board. The VIA KT266 wasn't the most stable chipset in my opinion, so the newer stuff will be much more stable and trouble free.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!