Low TF2 Framerates

My System:

CPU:AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
GPU:EVGA GTX 470
RAM:2x2gb Gskill DDR3 @1600mHz
Motherboard:MSI 890GXM-G65

Framerates are fine when I am by myself, but when I get into large firefights they drop very low, often between 20-40fps. I have tried lowering the graphics options but it didn't change anything (which makes sense since my card should be able to handle high). I have also monitored the CPU and the load on it rarely goes above 70%. I tried playing practice mode (with 24 bots) offline to see if it was an issue with the server, but I still had these poor rates. I don't know what's up. I just finished Mass Effect 2 and never had any issues like this, it was always really high framerates. Right now I am running a hard drive defragment but I doubt that will do anything. Also, TF2 is an exception in my security suite. I can even have my security suite go into "game mode", but it doesn't help.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about framerates
  1. well my friend cant really find a reason for that

but i think its a software thing maybe your system is it windows 7

or is your drivers not updated

cuz i really think the game is not even close to compare to modern pcs or yours see what the guys say hope they can help you
  2. My system is running windows 7. My video card drivers are up to date, I downloaded the latest in response to this problem but it did not help.

Oh, and the security software I am using is BitDefender Total Security 2010 if it matters
  3. have you checked to see if the cpu is coming out of idle mode (800MHz)
  4. mindless728 said:
    have you checked to see if the cpu is coming out of idle mode (800MHz)

How might I do that?
  5. have CPUZ running while in game and alt-tab out of the game
  6. The CPU is not in idle mode, CPUZ reported that the Core Speed was ~3632 MHz
  7. Bump
  8. Anyone?
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Video Games