Board Voltages Way Off

russell

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
I ran speed fan and got some really concerning voltage readings. I was suspicious of the speed fan readings so I ran Sandra and got the same result.

Sandra Report:
Voltage Sensor(s)
CPU Voltage : 2.67V
Aux Voltage : 3.30V
+3.3V Voltage : 3.07V
+5V Voltage : 4.92V
<b><font color=red>+12V Voltage : 2.19V
-12V Voltage : -14.26V
-5V Voltage : -7.71V</b></font color=red>
Standby Voltage : 4.46V
Battery Voltage : 0.19V

The +12v=2.19v Can't be right can it?????

System
Manufacturer : Compaq Presario 061
Model : DT055A-ABA S6020WM NA410
Version : 0n31411RE101GIOVA10
Serial Number : CNC4020811
ID : 14E5C500-11D842A1-E18A7EA4-98862727

Mainboard
Manufacturer : MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
MP Support : 1 CPU(s)
MPS Version : 1.40
Model : Gamila/Giovani/Neon series
Version : 030
Serial Number : 3C10726531
System BIOS : 08/05/2004-i845G-W627-6A69VM4YC-00
Chipset : Intel 845 (Brookdale)

<font color=red>!#&$</font color=red> :eek: ---<font color=blue><i><b>There's the facts</font color=blue> ....<font color=green> the twisted facts </font color=green>... the distorted facts</font color=blue>,...<font color=red>THEN THERE'S JOURNALISM!</font color=red></i></b>
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Russell on 04/19/05 12:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

That system would crash with those voltages. <pre>if they're actually those then it may crash with damaged parts...</pre><p>Have you looked for the voltages in BIOS?

russell

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Exactly, that's why I didn't believe the readings and double checked with Sandra.
No I haven't checked the bios readings. I'll do that now.
It is probably nothing but this OEM MoBo not jiving with the utilities software.

<font color=red>!#&$</font color=red> :eek: ---<font color=blue><i><b>There's the facts</font color=blue> ....<font color=green> the twisted facts </font color=green>... the distorted facts</font color=blue>,...<font color=red>THEN THERE'S JOURNALISM!</font color=red></i></b>

OEMs are notorious for non-standard hardware setups and you may be running into this with the software... :/ I hate proprietary OEM BS!

russell

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
OK I checked the bios reading and unfortunately it only reports the operating temp and fan speed.
The system runs rock solid so the voltages can't be off too much or it would seem that I would be getting all kinds of errors.
This is an MSI MoBo and it isn't supported by some of the utilities software. Heck Compaq doesn't even let you adjust FSB, voltages or clock speed via bios nor is there jumpers on the OEM MSI MS6577 ver 3.1 motherboard. It sucks that I can't "play" with the CPU.
If I decide to stay with Intel CPU's I'll replace the mobo with something that will support a better grade of memory and that a has OC friendly bios and better video support. Otherwise I'll build a new AMD rig from the ground up, but that wont happen for a few more months yet.
This Celeron 2.6 Ghz Intel processor has done a fine job for me and I really don't see the need to get anything bigger/faster at the moment. A new board with an AGP or PCIe slot for a video card is about all I really need for now.

russell

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Yep that's what I'm thinking. Besides if it craps out before December it's covered by warranty.