Chrome Overtakes Safari As Number 3 Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
This is because most Mac users don't even use Safari. I bet that a good portion of those Safari hits are from iPhones (no viable alternatives).

I have to say though that I can see Chrome overtaking Firefox in another year or 2. Its just so much faster and more stable. Once it catches up a bit more in the plugin realm, it will be far and away the better choice.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
still Firefox fan...

I don't like tab placement in Chrome where it's above the address bar instead of below...

it might be few milliseconds fast but when you just browse, I can hardly notice the difference...

plus next Firefox 4 is supposed to be miles faster than Chrome...

elkein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I for one have never liked firefox, perhaps it was their rebel behavior, I'm chrome at home anymore.
-currently at work on IE 6 - :)

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]This is because most Mac users don't even use Safari. I bet that a good portion of those Safari hits are from iPhones (no viable alternatives).[/citation]
When browsing on my iphone I use Opera Mini. Much better suited for mobile browsing as everything goes through Opera where it all gets optimized before being sent on to your phone. Of course that potentially has security issues, but it also is a lot better than crappy safari.

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
Firefox 4 may be faster but dont you think the next Chrome will be faster then FF4? The next Chrome (6 I think) will have to beat IE9, Firefox 4, and whatever Safari is doing for macs.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
[citation][nom]wallpaper[/nom]Internet browser....operating system soon to follow....Google will soon take over the world....[/citation]
I hope not! :) Re: browser speeds, I use both the latest dev builds of Chrome (currently 6.0.447.0) and the latest Firefox nightlies (currently 4.0b2pre). Sunspider shows Chrome about 40% ahead in Javascript speeds, but with GPU rendering enabled in Firefox, I don't notice a difference. In fact, Firefox is much better at being able to render other pages while I'm scrolling through one (tested using techbargains.com and opening links in new tabs in the background while still scrolling down the original page).

bp 4575

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
I like tabs on the top. It provides more clicking space (since you obviously can't move the mouse past the top of the screen), people just bitch about it because the aren't used to it. I've changed Firefox to have tabs on the top and then I put it in full-screen.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I've switched from FF to Chrome and I've got to say I'm mostly pleased with the change. The big thing I miss from FF is NoScript and ABP, the Chrome version of adblocker isn't as good (and strangely enough doesn't block those irritating YouTube ads... I wonder why... /endsarcasm).

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
was using IE 6 and got into firefox since it had tabbed browsing.
i liked firefox before since it is faster and reliable than IE.
Anyways, since Google game out with their browser, i've been using it ever since. Loved the simplicity and speed.

[citation][nom]elkein[/nom]I for one have never liked firefox, perhaps it was their rebel behavior, I'm chrome at home anymore.-currently at work on IE 6 -[/citation]

G

Opera is the fastest broswer on the planet it's proven. Opera needs to do more advertising Google Chrome users don't know what their missing out.

jaysbob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
who cares who has the biggest share. at least there's viable competition going on now in the browser arena. All this development is awesome! everybody benefits from chrome's rise regardless of whether they use it or not.

wittermark

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
for those people making false claims on which browser is faster, i think this graph can put all the BS to rest:

browser_speeds2.jpg

clearly firefox 4 is nowhere close to chrome, not even version 5.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Internet Explorer is only #1 because it already comes on your computer. Most people that use IE don't have the "know-how" to install browsers like Firefox, Chrome...etc., let alone don't even know they exist or what they are. I work in a public library and it's frightening to see how technically savvy so many people aren't. In the beginning though for Firefox at least, compatibility was always a problem for most websites although for the most part, that problem is almost a thing of the past. I noticed that with the new OnLive cloud gaming service, though, only IE and Firefox are supported.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
I'm sticking with Firefox as it is. I don't notice any real difference between Firefox and Chrome, and I'm not a huge fan of the layout Chrome has to offer. Nothing against Google's browser, I'm just happy with what I'm using now, and see no reason to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.