Dual core fitting 939 platforms?

chadwickvm

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2003
I don't remember where the heck I was reading this but some article gave me the impression that some how the next generation of AMD's (the dual cores) are going to have 939pins and have the ability to run in some mobos that currently use AMD64 3200+'s - FX-55's. ie the MSI K8T Neo2-FIR K8T800 Pro. i'm almost sure this is wrong but can anyone confirm that it is wrong?

Dual cores will be s939 and should run on most s939 mobos with a BIOS flash. For specific support on your board I recommend you contact your board mfr to get their response.

chadwickvm

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2003
hmmm well lets see. my comp recently got fried but i was able to RMA the cpu and graphics card. The only things that work are the hard drives and dvd drives. Considering that the parts i'm getting back from rma are a 6600 gt AGP and a 3000+ xp, should I try to sell off those two parts and buy all new stuff to run an A64 3200+ set up (looking for future upgrades) or just rebuy my motherboard and ram for the pieces i'm getting back? what a dilema

You would probably be happy with an Abit NF7-S v2.0 with that current setup. No future upgrades, but it will be a good system for a while...

If you're happy with the current system and it does everything that you want it to do, then there is no reason to get another one. That system should perform well for at least a year or two. How long have you had that rig?

sturm

Splendid
AMD designed the 939 cpus to be dual-core from the very start way back in 1999. Yes the dual cores will/should work in current 939 pin motherboards. May need a bios upgrade and possible chipset drivers. This is one big advantage over the intel dual-cores. You wont need to buy a whole new motherboard.

chadwickvm

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2003
Funny you should ask. I bought it a few years ago back when the 1600+ was mainstream and 2600+ was top of the line. The board I had was an MSI KT400 of some type. Anyway, I had put those two parts, the 3000+ and the 6600 GT, in within the last month. Lucky me, when i got home from spring break and once again plugged the comp into my crappy-college-rented-house's-no-ground-wire outlet, it got fried by a lightning strike a few days later. So i've had most of the rig for a very long time but those two parts were new. I was content w/ what i had just bought.

If it ain't broke, then don't fix it....or was that supposed to be "get a bigger hammer"?!

This decision comes down to what you want, need and can afford and I can't answer those questions for you. You can get 1GB of Mushkin PC3200 for $85 at Newegg and the NF7-S v2.0 for another $80 or so. That would would be a fast system and cost a lot less than getting another rig. If you need/want the new system and have the money to buy, then make a budget, do some research and tell us what you're thinking about getting and we'll give you some feedback. Just don't buy the system before we can evaluate it for you - that's putting the cart ahead of the horse.