Good AMD 64 Mobo

BlueDuke

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2005
Anyone with a good recommendation for a good AMD 64/939 mobo?
I´m unfortunately stuck with an AGP radeon for the time being.
I´ve been looking into the DFI Lanparty cards but as far as I can tell none of them has a 939/AGP combo. :(

I´m planning to run this with a 3200+ 64 processor if anyone has got an opinion on this choice i would be happy to hear it :)

You can look for boards with the nForce4 4X chipset - they are s939/AGP. VIA makes a chipset that has 939/AGP, but I do NOT recommend VIA chipset boards. All of your high-end mobos will more than likely have PCIe. Just make sure that the board you get has the features that you need and you will be ok.

pat

Expert
My board has the nforce4 4x and definitively not an AGP board.. unless I scewed bad time and got my PCIe card working in an AGP port ..
I think you meand nforce3, which was the AGP chipset from nvidia ..

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

pat

Expert
I guess that you want to keep your current video card... that why you want AGP. Nforce3 was the nvidia offer for AGP system. That what you should look for. Try to get the one that has all the feature you need at a reasonnable cost.

Nforce4 chipset is for PCIe graphics card. You will see some hybrid chipset supporting both, but this is only under certain circumpstance.. This is not a real AGP port you'll see there. But rather an AGP slot bridged to the PCI bus by some kind how trick.. What that mean, it will perform very bad and might not even work with your video card.. Stay away from such thing.

If you're on a tight budget, you could consider socket 754. The CPU is clocked 200MHz higher that the 939 counterparts, meaning that the 939 3200+ you plan to get run at 2.0GHz. The socket 754 3000+ run at 2.0GHz and perform about the same... maybe a bit less, but only benchmark could tell..

Socket 754 mobo with nforce3 are easy to get with a wider choice. They dont require dual channel memory, so only one stick of memory will goes well ..

Going the 754 road, keeping your old stuff makes more sense to me, as it will be cheaper and when it wont suffice, then you'll be able to sell it and start from scratch with up to date componenet instead of always having a slow one in your fast system.

remember, the overall speed is not determined by the mobo/cpu, but by the slowest part of your system... For example, an old HDD wont run faster on a new motherboard... and having good hdd performance is what makes your system feel fast.

No - there's another nF4 chipset that supports AGP. Endyen told me about it a while back and linked me to a board. I think it was an Asus board, but I cant find the link right now. Will keep trying and post a link when I can.

Endyen: A little help please!

I agree with everything you said about upgrade path. To elaborate a little the nForce3 Ultra is nVidia's nF3 s939/AGP offering.

pat

Expert
There is no AGP bus in the nforce4. the board you are talking about is some kind of hybrid mutant that use the PCI bus and an AGP slot to emulate AGP.. And since the PCI bus is slow, then so will be the AGP slot.. And it is not compatible with all video card..Biostar has one, as well as some other company, but I would stay away from that..

He is better to stay away from that.. Making compromise in this area wont help. If he get that, and his video card happen to be comaptible, then he will find it so slow that he will pobalbly hate you for the rest of his life for suggering him such POS and keep thinking that he should have listened to the other guy suggestion telling him to go with an nforce3 motherboard ..

There are 2 biostar boards with pci-e and agx support. But biostar doesn't even post the manual on their website, so I can't check what overclocking features it has. And the handling fee for direct rma service is about $30.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
AGP ports on nForce4 are "emaluted" from PCI port. It's a crippled down AGP port. I would not recommend these mobo, unless you really love your AGP card and want to upgrade to PCI-EXPRESS soon.

-
GA-K8NF-9 / <b><font color=green>Athlon 64 3200+</font color=green> @ 3800+</b>
Infineon DDR400 (CL2.5) 2x512Megs
<font color=green>GeForce 6600GT 128Megs</font color=green>
<A HREF="http://www.getfirefox.com" target="_new">Firefox</A>

Got it bass ackwards - I was thinking of the new s754 boards with PCIe. Sorry for the confusion...