Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
I downloaded the specific manual for a
compaq Amada 1750 6333/T/6400/D/M/3

It tells me to press F10 to get into the "BIOS" (Running Computer Setup".

No luck!!! I tried every other key I could think of esc, F1, F2, F3, F12, Page up. Anybody have experience with this?

Also when I use a Win98 Diskette and ask it to load CDRom drivers it just hangs on the 1st ASPI detection sequence. Where did I go wrong in life ... LOL :smile:

Thinking about flashing the bios ???

The loving are the daring!

I use the "del" key to get into most bios'. If you get into the bios, I would change the boot sequence to floppy, cd, and hardrive last. I would not flash your bios. It's too easy to get a bad flash, resulting in a dead board. Most oem boards from compaq, dell, etc. don't benefit from a bios flash anyway.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
F10? It's probably one of those Compaqs that put the BIOS GUI on a special hard drive partition. You didn't change hard drives, did you?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Shoot, it's not my computer and yes someone did change the HDD.

Will the "Flash" utility flash the HDD? I suppose it has to if that's the way it works. I'll try to find some kind of corroborating info.

BTW. "DEL" was one of the first ones I tried, sorry didn't mention it.

Thanks People, keep the info comming if you have more.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think you can get a set of floppies from the website that allow you to configure BIOS from the floppy.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Crashman, thank you for the information and the lead. You were right.
---------------------------------

For everyone's edification I'd like to include this information from the Compaq forum:
*---- Setup_DIAGSNew.txt
*---- Rainald Taesler
*---- May 07, 2004
*---- revised March 03, 2005
*---- NOTE: This text refers to the Armada 7xxx series.
Software versions named herein won't work with
*---- some older notebooks.

Access to BIOS-Setup on COMPAQ notebooks

For many long years COMPAQ-notebooks had their proprietary way of handling the BIOS:
All of the Setup- and Diagnostics-files are stored on a special partition called "DIAGS", which has to be the *first* partition on the HD. There's *NO* access to the BIOS otherwise (except booting from the "Setup"-diskette [which in most cases will not be at hand when really
needed])

A.
If this partition is not there, there are two options:
(a) Create the partition and install the software there.
(b) Use the Setup-diskette.

Problem is that the DIAGS partition has to be the *first* one on the HDD. If the partition is not there (if F10 does not work), the HD has either to be put into a virgin state to start with or a partition tool like Partition Magic has to be used.

OTH, working without the DIAGS-partition means that there is no "built-in" BIOS-access and one has to have the Setup-diskette available when needed to change BIOS-settings. This can be a serious drawback - especially with a notebook: Who wants to carry around a Setup-diskette (I for one would always forget it <g>). What's ebven more important: some features like setting passwords are not
available if Setup is not run from the HDD.

B.
For both options the proper diskettes are needed.
For creating them do the following:

1. Download the following SoftPaqs to a directory on your hard drive. The files downloaded are self-extracting executables with a filename based on the SoftPaq Number.

SP9962 - Computer Setup for Portables v. 2.01 J (24 Jan 99)
<A HREF="http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/notebooks/us/download/8089.html" target="_new">http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/notebooks/us/download/8089.html</A>

SP16085 - Personal Computer Diagnostics version 10.40 A (7 Dec 00)
<A HREF="http://
h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/desktops/us/download/9260.html" target="_new">http://
h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/desktops/us/download/9260.html</A>

2. Create two directories (folders), one for each of the SPs and store the downloads there.

Execute the downloaded files and follow the on-screen instructions. Diskettes will be created from the SoftPaqs.

Make sure to stick a distinctive label on each of the diskette. During the install procedures you'll be prompted several times for inserting one of them; then it's necessary to know what is what.

3. After the diskettes have been created, you may delete the self-extracting files downloaded in step one, as well as the directory folders and files created in step two.

4. Having created the diskettes, run Diagnostics and Setup by booting from the diskettes. Start with booting from the Diagnostics diskette and follow the on-screen instructions.

**** Important Note: If no FDD is available, there's a way to use a CD instead. Vine Perry and Me have made CD-images available to be burnt to a CD using a CD-writer.
For instructions pls ask in the forum.

C.
To make access to Setup persistent, the DIAGS partition is needed. As said,it has to be the *first* one on the HDD.
You need both diskettes.

Way to go:

1. First thing to do is BACKUP all of the data.

2. Erase all partitions on the drive.
a) It could be done with FDISK after booting from a DOS boot-disk.
b) My advice was to completely eras the whole HDD.
This can easily be done with dBAN. Downloadable the tool from here: http://dban.sourceforge.net/

3. Boot from the Diagnostics diskette.

4. Follow the on screen instructions and select the menu-options to create
the partitions and to install the programs.

*-- EoF

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
<b> This worked for me:

I faced a problem where the notebook wouldn't boot in the normal order. In this case you may need to reset your current BIOS settings to default.

To do this:
1- Make sure notebook is turned off.
2-Press and hold the FN key and turn it on using the power on/off switch.
3-As soon as it turns on, as quickly as you can repeatedly press the F11 key.

Notebook now should power off and on it self.
You will now get the following message:
162-System Options Not Set

The following configuration options were automatically updated:
Total memory installed: memory size Kbytes
CMOS checksum invalid, default values loaded

F1 Save Changes F2 Ignore Changes

Press F1 to save changes or F2 not save the changes
(Press F1)

</b>

You can lose your BIOS if you overwrite the MBR of the hard-disk! So be
very careful
where you write your partition table. "There is normal FLASH memory chip in
the computer.
Only the software (BIOS SETUP PROGRAM) to make changes in the BIOS setup is
placed
somewere near (I think it's in) MBR. There is small instruction in FLASH
memory, that
tries to find that setup software on the HDD. If it finds it, it will blink
an rectangle
during the Compaq logo. If it can't be found it boots normally but no BIOS
to go into."
- Thanks to Zf

I faced a problem where the notebook wouldn't boot, it powers up then
nothing happens,
no hard disk activity or anything on the screen, in this case you may need
to erase
your current BIOS settings to default. To do this:
Make sure notebook is turned off.
Press and hold the FN key and turn it on using the power on/off switch.
As soon as it turns on, as quickly as you can repeatedly press the F11 key.
Notebook now should power off and on it self.
You will now get the following message:
162-System Options Not Set

The following configuration options were automatically updated:
Total memory installed: memory size Kbytes
CMOS checksum invalid, default values loaded

F1 Save Changes F2 Ignore Changes

Press F1 to save changes or F2 not save the changes

BIOS can be accessed normally by pressing the F10 key during the Compaq
Logo,
this is the case only if you haven't deleted the BIOS settings editing
software on the hard disk
- Thanks to Zf

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Ive got system restore disk and drivers for that sysytem. let me know if you need anything.

:eek: If I would have shot you when I had the chance, I would be out by now :eek:
Intel P4 550(3.4)@<font color=green>5Ghz</font color=green>

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
<A HREF="http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Armada/us/locate/4_1098.html" target="_new">http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Armada/us/locate/4_1098.html</A>

I downloaded a ton of shoot from HP, drivers etc. This got me by the display problem the person had. Most stuff works but some difficulties remain.

1 - Monitor, it is unknown and utilities like AIDA32 wont tell me what it is. Not such a real problem but annoying

2 - This system originally came with a 6.3GB HDD which is toast. It now runs on a 500MB hdd. I tried to load various OSs on an 8GB but it only has lots of problems. I guess there these things are constrained by the 8GB limit.
Unfortuneately the smallest drive in stores around here is 20GB. Guess I'll have to find something on "auction".

<b> Thanks for the offer on the restore disk though.</b> I don't want to put you out. I don't deal with alot of these systems. The guy will just have to be happy for now and until he can find/get a used HDD.

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
Forgive me...my fingers are moving of their own volition...

Destroy the craptop!!!! Down with Comcrap craptops!!! I have one sitting on my desk that doesn't work...presario...and an old armada at home... must stop typing... (i feel your pain).

Current machines running F@H:
AMD: [64 3500+][64 3000+][2500+][2000+][1.3x2][366]
Intel: [X 3.0x3][P4 3.0x2][P4 2.4x5][P4 1.4]

"...and i'm not gay" RX8 -Greatest Quote of ALL Time

TRENDING THREADS