Computer Crashing during Games please help :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

hymuster

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Hi all i am going to do my best to explain this.
I bought a acer aspire - am330 desktop back in february. It has a AMD Athlon II x 4 2.6ghz cpu, 4gb DDR3 ram. I put in a zotac 9800 gt graphics card and a new BFG 550w psu i also replaced the hard drive to a seagate 500gb 7200 rpm HDD.
Now the problem i have is when i play games mainly bad company 2 and team fortress 2 and dirt 2 i could be in a game for anywhere betwenn 20 mins and an hour when my computer will just freeze. There is a horrible noise that is played out of my speakers which is continuous. The whole system does not respond and they only way i can get the computer back to normal is to manually turn the power off. I check windows event viewer and the only error that is listed is : Kernel Power Event ID 41 The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. I don't think there is much else i can tell you but it is really starting to get annoying so any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is in wrong section. I am running windows 7 home premium 64bit.

Solution
I've heard some friends saying the same thing that has happened to you, in some of the cases we fixed the problem adding more ventilation to the case, this could be happening because of overheating, because if it only happens when you are playing it means it only happens when your PC is maxed out.
What you can try is adding some fans, or try to play for 2-3 days with the case opened to see if it still freezes.
Also you can check some of this programs so you can see the RPM of the CPU fan and the temperture:
-CPU-z
-Core Temp
-GPU-z

And another thing, remember to have your graphics drivers up to date, and to download the ones that appear on the Nvidia website.

Good luck.

Xtrastor

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I've heard some friends saying the same thing that has happened to you, in some of the cases we fixed the problem adding more ventilation to the case, this could be happening because of overheating, because if it only happens when you are playing it means it only happens when your PC is maxed out.
What you can try is adding some fans, or try to play for 2-3 days with the case opened to see if it still freezes.
Also you can check some of this programs so you can see the RPM of the CPU fan and the temperture:
-CPU-z
-Core Temp
-GPU-z

And another thing, remember to have your graphics drivers up to date, and to download the ones that appear on the Nvidia website.

Good luck.

Solution

hymuster

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
i have got all current drivers on everything as i done a fresh install 2 days ago. i successfully played for an hour earlier with no crash with side panel off. My temps were at least 5 degrees lower. Going to keep trying over the course of the next few days and if it is heating then i will get new case and fans.

55Range

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010

Nice, hope you manage to enjoy it, or else , yes consider new fans.
be sure if its overheating though, as a fresh install of everything cant lower your temps !

pilotkira

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
go into the bios and look for a CPU warning temp and activate it, what this should do is when the CPU temperature goes above the temperature selected (i have mine on 60 degrees C) the motherboard will beep; try this while gaming with and without the case side cover: my old generic case had an overheating problem with poor airflow and it would constantly beep to warn me with the side cover on.

hymuster

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Last night i got in a long bc2 session with case off and had no crash. When i tried with case on within 20 mins its crashed so it does seem to be a air flow problem. Thanks for the help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.