Need help picking AGP MB for new P4

mikestjames

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2005
I am replacing a two or three year old A7V333/Athlon XP 2400+ combination. I think the RAID controller on my MB has died.

I am not a gamer, and do photo and video editing and use mainstream productivity apps several hours per day, so I decided that a P4 would be good this time. I am thinking I will get a P4 640 3.2GHz/2MB L2 cache, which is a socket 775 processor. I am looking for a MB that will give me the following:

1. AGP slot...I have a Matrox Parhelia that I don't want to replace,
2. Maximum drive options. My current machine has 2 80GB Maxtor HDs (USED to be in a RAID mirror, but now RAID is dead on my MB) 2 18GB SCSI LVD HDs on an Adaptec SCSI card, 3 optical drives using both of my PATA busses, and an external Firewire 160GB Maxtor. I want to be able to run two identical PATA or SATA on the new MB, though I doubt I will be using RAID again. I can just use DriveImage to mirror them myself once a week.
3. NATIVE SATA would be nice, so I don't have to fool around with SW SATA drivers.
4. I don't care about high-powered sound, so onboard sound is desirable.
5. Firewire.

Is there such a board out there? I used to know all this stuff, but I'm kind of outdated right now, and don't have tons of time to research.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Mike

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mikestjames on 04/25/05 06:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
How about a ASUS P5P800. Has good features and not to $$$.

Just check out the ASUS website.

<font color=red><b>DCB</b></font color=red><font color=white><b>_</b></font color=white><font color=blue><b>AU</b></font color=blue>

I wonder if a hot, throttled-down Prescott will still beat the A64 in encoding/decoding?

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Anything that I would recommend would use a PCIexpress and DDR2. If your going with an Intel CPU I would either step up to the 3.4 even if it meant going with one of the later 550's. The only way that you will come close to getting the full potential out of the 775 series if going to be with a Mobo that supports PciExpress and DDR2. If money is an issue then you may want to consider AMD. You will come out cheaper and with a system that performs as well or better. Dont get me wrong, I am all for socket 775 but it requires alot of extras IE. liquid cooling, DDR2, PciExpress

:eek: If I would have shot you when I had the chance, I would be out by now :eek:
Intel P4 550(3.4)@<font color=green>5Ghz</font color=green>

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
check out the DFI 865PE infinity, i use this board myself with the P4 3GHz and 2GB RAM for video production under adobe premier, encore, after effects, photoshop and audition.

she has 4 SATA ports and mirrored SATA raid is easy done
(my setup is 2x 160GB Maxtor D9's and an 80GB Maxtor D9 system drive). she also has AGP 8x and works sweet with the parhelia 256 (i'm running a dual 17" TFT setup, the audio is more than competant and she has firewire onboard. all in all i've no complaints about this board, it hasn't given me a second's grief <touches wood>

<A HREF="http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_spec_details_r_us.jsp?PRODUCT_ID=2000&CATEGORY_TYPE=INFINITY&SITE=UK" target="_new">here's a link</A>

the only problem i have with this setup is the heat loss, the P4 produces a mental amount of heat during transcoding/rendering operations, the stock cooler can't keep it below 67C in the summer and the aftermarket cooler i put on couldn't keep it below 60C. in the end i wound up getting a stand-a-lone aircon unit to cool the case, this holds the CPU at 53C when working on a full load.

i haven't looked for a socket 939s mobo with agp, but if there is one out there i'd highly recommend going for it. it'll give you the option of upgrading to a dual core chip in a few months which will doubtless take a monster chunk out of your transcoding times and todays readily available and well priced AMD 64 3500+ should be well able to match the performance of the 640 whilst giving off sweet [peep] all heat. i can vouch for the 3500+ too, have a system with this CPU and it has never broken 46C (on stock cooling) even under X2, and even more impressively HL2 (granted, i ain't running either at full whack cus the 6600gt isn't up to it but the point stands)

For $114USD, you can get the <A HREF="http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128263" target="_new">Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939</A> at Newegg. Take a look at the features and see if it has what you need.

mikestjames

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2005
Thanks, everyone. I didn't know the P4 ran that hot. I am going to re-look at the A64 and related MBs. I DO have an air-cooled case that moves more air than any other I've seen, but I would still prefer to run the CPU as cool as possible. The case is an old Enlight server case. I cut a 120mm hole in the side panel down low and toward the rear and have a 12v fan stuffing air in there. I cut another 120mm hole in the top, also toward the rear, over the PS and put in a 120v AC rack fan there with it's own AC power pigtail. I also mounted a household fan rheostat from Home Depot in the top near the fan so I can idle it when not doing heavy processing. When cranked up, it sounds like a C-130 taking off, but it will stand your hair straight up if you're over it; feels like it could suck the cards right out of the slots. Tired of the beige, I took the case down and had it Rhino-lined black. Now it's bullet-proof. I put some big casters on the bottom. Also took out the old orange and green LEDs, and put in super-bright blue and white. I'll probably keep this case until MB form factors make me get a new one. But I digress. Thanks again for all the help!