Best S939 board for overlocking & performance?

d3v

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2005
So what is the No.1 board thats awesome for both overclocking and performance?

I'm thinking the DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-D but cannot decide.

P.S - what are the differances between the SLI-D & the SLI-DR ??

"i'm not young enough to know everything"
-Oscar Wilde

For SLI-D to SLI-DR comparisons I recommend you look at the features list for each board on the <A HREF="http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_lp_us.jsp?PAGE_TYPE=US&CATEGORY_TYPE=LP&INDEX_TYPE=MB&SITE=NA" target="_new">DFI site</A>. They're basically perform the same but they have slightly different features.

As far as the best performing board - depends on what parts you're going to pair up with the mobo, whether or not you're going to OC, what applications the computer will be used for, how well you maintain the system, etc...

You have to think about what you <b>need</b> the system to do, what you <b>want</b> the system to do and then find the middle ground with a good price/performance ratio. Good luck in your research.

$130 in the states. Not the least expensive, but also not the most expensive.

d3v

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2005
The parts going with it will most likely be a AMD 64 3700+ San Diego and some low latency 1GB Corsair.

I'll only be overclocking very little.

So the DFI boards are the fastest and most overclock friendly out there?

I heard the latest from MSI is on-par with the DFI's and a lot of the time, people are saying their better!?!

"i'm not young enough to know everything"
-Oscar Wilde

That will be a good CPU to stick in whatever board you get. I think the Corsair is overpriced for what you get. The <A HREF="http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227213" target="_new">OCZ Value VX OCZ4001024WV3DC-K</A> is more than sufficient for some mild OCing with low latenices and is a great deal at $123.93 for 1GB (2X512MB).

I do not recommend MSI. I've personally been the victim of poor QA in the form of 3 bad delivered to me in a row. They may have fixed the issue, but I still hear of similar types of situations. Someone else may have had good experiences with them , but I haven't and won't recommend them.

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-136-152&depa=1" target="_new">DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D</A> $130USD

The Value Vx is down to $118.31 now...

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
That board doesn't come with sli. The sli boards are around $170+ (@newegg).

$228 - DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

$179 - DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

$135 - DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - OEM

edit: I don't know...but the top two may be the same board (unlikely?), with one at a lower price and a different name (UT vs non UT).

Current machines running F@H:
AMD: [64 3500+][64 3000+][2500+][2000+][1.3x2][366]
Intel: [X 3.0x3][P4 3.0x2][P4 2.4x5][P4 1.4]

"...and i'm not gay" RX8 -Greatest Quote of ALL Time<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by apesoccer on 04/29/05 10:50 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Oops! Didn't reread the entire post before I linked that -thought I had recommended the Ultra-D so that's why I linked to it. :redface:

Hawk29

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2005
The only difference I can find betwen the two DFI SLI boards is that the none-UT can support HTT (Hyper-Transport Tech).

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Hawk29 on 05/02/05 01:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>