moodymk

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Hi all

I was thinking of upgrading my graphics card and thought i would make the switch to pci while i was at it. (I have a radeon 9800 pro, i thought i would go all aout and get a Gforce 6800 ultra)

my processor is a amd 3200xp which is Socket A, however I can't seem to find any pci express mother boards that are Socket A. Have i done something wrong here or am i going to have to change my processor if i want to do this?

Many thanks in advance.

pat

Expert
PCIe is available only socket 754 and 939. Nothing for the old Socket A motherboard.

You have to either sell your current system and go for newer socket or get an AGP card.

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

moodymk

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Ok thanks for the info

In this case do you think thats its worth going to pci express if i have to change my current motherboard(asus a7n8x-x) and processor(athalon xp 3200+) or should i just stick with an AGP grapics card.

Thanks

If you stick a high-end graphics card in that system you'll be good to go for gaming for at least another 1-2 years. At that point you will be able to upgrade to the current best price/performance stuff. In your position, I just couldn't justify to myself the price of going A64 for the amount of performance you will get. As 64Bit OSs/software hit the street and get more prevalent the 64bit upgrade will make more and more sense. If you'r eprimarily worried about gaming, then I don't see games taking advantage of 64bit for at least a year anyway.

Not a problem - glad to help!