umala

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
Hi!

I bough a refurbished mobo and back home after setting up, when I turn on the machine, the CPU fan just run for a short moment and stop. I know that it means somehow mobo was in contact with chasis before and cause short circuit. I also remove the battery and clear the CMOS but it only strat for a shot moment.

Is there any thing I can solve or just bring back the mobo to the shop.

Thanks

What are your system specs? Are you getting any beeps? Have you checked to make sure you don't have too many of the mobo mounting posts installed?

umala

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
mobo is Epox 8 RGMI.As I got this nForce2 for so cheap so I got excited. First, I just put the mobo oa a thich paper and start installing it and started system.CPY fan only ran for short time. After that I put it properly into a new case and the same symptom.
It is microATX so I do not have graphic card or any PCI.I do not quite understand what is wrong for 2too moany mounting". Well, I have screw on all mounting holes.

The thing is that I am sure I have not caused any short circuit.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Several things can cause the CPU fan to spin for only a short time. First thing that would cause it is, you turn the power supply on. That's normal. You have to use the motherboard's power switch header to turn the system on from there.

If it refuses to power up using the power switch header on the motherboard, it might be a bad switch. I jump the header with a screwdriver to test that. You only need to bump it, it's a momentary contact switch.

If it still refuses to stay running, it could be the CPU fan is connected to the wrong header. If it's connected to a case fan header, or directly to the power supply, the board won't sense a fan on the CPU fan header and will shut down believing there's a danger of CPU overheating. So the fan has to be connected to the CPU fan header.

If it doesn't respond at all, it's probably a short on the underside of the board. Too many mounting standoffs.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

umala

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
If it doesn't respond at all, it's probably a short on the underside of the board. Too many mounting standoffs.

What does two many mounting stabdoff means.BTW, in case there is a short, is it that just clear CMOS and remove battery would work.

Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Too many standoffs means, for example, you have a board with 6 holes and 6 mounting screw, so you think you're OK, but then you find you have 7 mounting POINTS touching the board. One of those mounting points has to be negated, if it's a standoff you remove it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>