Last response: in Video Games
August 30, 2010 4:54:20 PM

The following is the configuration of my friend's pc:
Acer Aspire 5738G
Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2 GHz
4 GB Ram
320 GB HDD
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 512 MB dedicated graphics

He installed COD 5. However, he is unable to play the game in 1366X768 resolution. If that resolution is kept, the game just crashes. He plays smoothly without problems in 1024x768. Newer games like Mass Effect 2 worked smoothly in 1366x768. What could be the problem?
August 30, 2010 5:59:09 PM

So he can start the game and play for a while before crash? or does it crash immediately?
Make sure graphics drivers are up to date.
August 30, 2010 6:40:55 PM

hymuster said:
So he can start the game and play for a while before crash? or does it crash immediately?
Make sure graphics drivers are up to date.

He plays for a while and then the game crashes. He was having the same problem with nfs most wanted too, although the max resolution of that game is 1024x768 only and he played in that only.
Related resources
August 30, 2010 7:03:39 PM

when you say the game crashes how do you mean, does it go back to desktop or does the whole computer stop responding?
August 31, 2010 4:28:11 PM

hymuster said:
when you say the game crashes how do you mean, does it go back to desktop or does the whole computer stop responding?

Sometimes it returns to the desktop-most of the time the pc restarts.
August 31, 2010 5:08:39 PM

Hello cygnus7

Higher resolutions on Laptops can often cause performance issues and at worse crashes. From the looks of your specs I can't say for sure, also the Call of Duty engine is heavy on resources.

Can you tell me exactly what errors come up if any and anything else about the crashes?
Also have you tried messing around with the other graphics settings?

Any more info on the crash would help too, like when does it crash (when loading, playing for a long time, playing specific maps?) Does it always go to windows? Is there an error message? Does windows run fine after the crash?

Definitely tamper with the settings maybe decrease AA or shadows. Also be aware of the airflow around the laptop, can the hot air escape easily?

If you're able to tell me the core temps and gpu temps that would be good too!
August 31, 2010 5:09:52 PM

Ok after some research i have found that some other people have had the same issue. There is no official solution, some people resorted to playing at a lower resolution. Most games do state that they may not work properly on laptops and this is still a common issue.
1 thing he could do is check that his laptop isn't crashing due to overheating.
Download Core Temp and enable logging.
I'm sorry i could not find a fix or be any more helpful.
September 6, 2010 5:23:37 PM

iLace said:
Hello cygnus7

Higher resolutions on Laptops can often cause performance issues and at worse crashes. From the looks of your specs I can't say for sure, also the Call of Duty engine is heavy on resources.

Can you tell me exactly what errors come up if any and anything else about the crashes?
Also have you tried messing around with the other graphics settings?

Any more info on the crash would help too, like when does it crash (when loading, playing for a long time, playing specific maps?) Does it always go to windows? Is there an error message? Does windows run fine after the crash?

Definitely tamper with the settings maybe decrease AA or shadows. Also be aware of the airflow around the laptop, can the hot air escape easily?

If you're able to tell me the core temps and gpu temps that would be good too!

Heyy..no error is displayed on crash..it justs restarts and no error on restart..works fine on restart..he hasnt changed any graphic settings..they are the same from the very beginning..and the games sometimes crash at some specific point for a few times and then sometimes randomly..
and good point about the temperatures...his laptop is definitely getting heated than normal..i told him to check the airflow..
September 6, 2010 5:25:27 PM

hymuster said:
Ok after some research i have found that some other people have had the same issue. There is no official solution, some people resorted to playing at a lower resolution. Most games do state that they may not work properly on laptops and this is still a common issue.
1 thing he could do is check that his laptop isn't crashing due to overheating.
Download Core Temp and enable logging.
I'm sorry i could not find a fix or be any more helpful.

no probs..all help provided is appreciated..his machine was getting overheated and i told him to check the airflow..
and yes, the games work fine at lower resolution..
!