New Mobo Purchase

wizoforb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
How does a GA-K8NS ULTRA-939 (GIGABYTE GA-K8NS NFORCE 2 ULTRA, ULTRA-939) sound? Is GIGABYTE a good choice or does MSI have better boards. I'm looking for fast FSB, DUAL CHANNEL.....no OC. I have components listed below. I'm fed up with via, and I guess Nforce is a better faster chipset anyway. doesn't this specific board have 2000FSB?? It lists only 800 on some sites which I think is qa typo.

ASUS A8V DELUXE K8T800 PRO
AMD ATHLON 64 +3200 (939)
(2)1 GB CORSAIR RAM PC3200 400 MHZ
BFG 6800 GEFORCE ULTRA OC (AGP)
(2) WD 74GB RAPTORS (SATA)
(1) WD 120GB (IDE)

over_c

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
I have no personal experience with the nForce3 ultra chipset but I asked this same question a couple weeks ago and I think the Gigabyte board is the concensus winner for a non-OC nf3 ultra board.

The 2000 (1000(200x5)x2) HyperTransport Bus (HTT, I think) is not the same as FSB. But from what I have seen, changing the HTT multiplier does not seem to affect performance in any meaningful way.

Finally, I doubt that changing chipsets will result in more than a 5% performance increase, if that. Do you really feel the change is worth it?

wizoforb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
Well I guess not if the increase is not significant.....I'm having so much trouble with SATA right now that I was assuming that it would be easier with a better chipset. It seems that my windows won't install on my Raptor, which I've been asking questions like a mad man in the last couple of days. Nothing seems to be working out.

(1) WD 120GB (IDE)
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by wizoforb on 04/27/05 03:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

It may be worth switching to nForce from a compatibility/reliability standpoint if not from performance. The only issue that I would be cautious about is the GART driver issue with OCed nVidia cards. Apparently the nForce chipsets do not always like to play nicely with OCed nVidia cards. The primary issues that I have seen were with manually OCed cards, but there is always a possibility that the BFG OC card may have the same type of issue. There was a thread within the last month with a guy that had a BFG OC and an nForce3 MSI Neo2 Platinum and was having mysterious issues - possibly driver related. I don't think there was a resolution to that thread. I would go with one of the other nForce3 Ultra boards anyway - like the <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-230&depa=1" target="_new">Epox 9NDA3J</A> or the <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-263&depa=1" target="_new">Gigabyte K8NS Ultra-939</A>. I haven't heard of anyone having the GART issues with those boards.

If you're doing it for a SATA issue, then I would give it another go with the recent post that Rick made in one of the other 100 threads you've made on this topic.

One of the problems with creating so many threads about the same issue is that i is hard to keep track of what has already been done to troubleshoot the system! If you keep the t/s in one thread then someone can go back and see if something has been done and it has a logical, chronological sequence.

wizoforb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
Your right your right. I'll try to keep to a tighter format. thanks.

(1) WD 120GB (IDE)

Not a problem! Help us to help you! :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nah, 2000 is just a lie. It's like saying the highway near my house is a 140MPH road, because it's 70MPH in each direction. It's actually 1000 transfers per second, using 5x hypertransport on a 200MHz bus. Previously it was 800 transfers per second, using 4x hypertransport on a 200MHz bus.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>