Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Mafia II fps drops

Last response: in Video Games
August 30, 2010 11:53:27 PM

Hello all,
I just purchased Mafia II for the PC, and I try to play it and the framerate starts out fine for a couple of seconds (highest settings).
Then no more than 10 seconds later, the games dips down to what I would expect to be 10-15 fps. Although I haven't measured it, it is plenty noticeable. I have a pretty okay gaming laptop, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and it ran Bioshock 2 at highest settings like a champ. I even turned everything (physx, aa, af, shadows, geometry, and res) all the way down and it still happened. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time.

More about : mafia fps drops

August 31, 2010 4:00:19 PM

This is a very new game so such things occurring are common. You should post on the official Mafia 2 troubleshooting forums so the developers can see who has the same problem and try and put a pin point on the problem and roll a patch out. You could also check your graphics drivers are up to date. Good luck
Score
August 31, 2010 7:39:48 PM

You have to remember, Mobility cards are NOT the same as the dedicated PCIe cards. In fact, the Mobility 4850 < Dedicated PCIe 4850.

Bioshock 2 didn't even DX10, it was DX9, so you can't compare BS2 to Mafia II as far as graphics are concerned.

TechSpot did a review showing how Mafia II really takes advantage of quad-core CPUs.

You can read it here -> http://bit.ly/bVMsaY

Score
Related resources
August 31, 2010 10:23:54 PM

Hey, thanks for your answers guys.
@hymuster: Yeah, I've pretty much chalked it up to a "new game" thing. And as far a drivers go, I tried it with my old ones and then upgraded to see if it was the problem and no difference.

@isamuelson: Right, I know that the M Radeon cards are significantly weaker, and BS2 may not have been as system intensive; but a freakin' netbook should be able to run it at the lowest settings and 640 X 800. ( kidding of course, but you get my point.)

Thanks again for your time, fellas.
Score
August 31, 2010 10:52:57 PM

Your welcome here to help :p 
Score
September 1, 2010 2:46:42 AM

ATI card hardly support Physx.Turn off Physx in option menu.
Score
September 1, 2010 10:29:07 AM

its a very demanding game im afraid its ur specs

the game needs somthin like 2 cores cpu at 2.8 or quad core 2.6

thats what ive learned for now

ur not the only one havin this problem i ve read alot of posts about this and the answer wa always lower the graphic setting try to play without physx and easy on aa maybe lower shadows a litle and see what u get

hope that helped :D 
Score
September 1, 2010 2:29:54 PM

Did the benchmark on my system and I get an average of around 53 fps with a max of 111.
Score
September 1, 2010 5:32:40 PM

could be coincidence but it seems like every time a truck goes by your frames drop. i would definitely say it is a game problem. There will be patches for such issues. I think your best bet will be to stay patient.
Score
September 2, 2010 4:01:16 PM

requiem217 said:
Hello all,
I just purchased Mafia II for the PC, and I try to play it and the framerate starts out fine for a couple of seconds (highest settings).
Then no more than 10 seconds later, the games dips down to what I would expect to be 10-15 fps. Although I haven't measured it, it is plenty noticeable. I have a pretty okay gaming laptop, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and it ran Bioshock 2 at highest settings like a champ. I even turned everything (physx, aa, af, shadows, geometry, and res) all the way down and it still happened. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time.

Hmm, am also experiencing problems with the game, i get average 87 fps on my GTX 460, but then for 2 -3 secs randomly it goes all the way down to 25 fps, and with a quad at 3.6 ghz, dont blame your laptop, i guess there will be a patch soon .
Score
December 10, 2010 9:07:32 PM

55Range said:
Hmm, am also experiencing problems with the game, i get average 87 fps on my GTX 460, but then for 2 -3 secs randomly it goes all the way down to 25 fps, and with a quad at 3.6 ghz, dont blame your laptop, i guess there will be a patch soon .

The same is happening to me man and i have an I7-920 running at 2,67ghz and a gtx 470 super overclocked edition with 9gigs of ram.
Score
December 10, 2010 9:21:01 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!