penaloza7777

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
I was cleaning up the wires inside my system hoping I could get better airflow and I did a pretty good job, but when I reconnected everything the computer won't power up. Before I re-did the wires I used a computer air duster to clean out all the dust I could including on the psu and mobo. When I go to plug in the power cable from the psu to the motherboards psu connector thing, it starts to turn on when they just touch, but then just turns off. Did I fry anything? All the pins on the power cord look straight and the ones on the mobo look straight too.

I got my psu from my computer and have the power cord running from it to my sister's computer motherboard. The computer (hers) will only turn on if the power cord going to the motherboard is barely on it and not pushed down all the way.

I was going to try that on my old PSU but when I did it shocked the hell out of me, so I said f'k that and came over here to try, lol.

Anyone think they konw which of the two it is? or a bad connecter from psu to mobo?

:eek: First of all you should NEVER plug in the power connector from the PSU to the mobo while the PSU is plugged into the wall - NEVER. I hope you didn't fry your mobo.

Try resetting your CMOS first - ensure the PSU is unplugged before you do it. Instructions are in your manual. Let us know if this doesn't work.

Edit: That power connector does sound suspect, too. Do you have another PSU you can put into this system for testing? Either way you will probably need to reset CMOS.

<font color=red>You're a boil on the arse of progress - don't make me squeeze you!</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rugger on 04/27/05 04:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

iluvstarsatnight

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2004
penaloza7777 is me. Had to make a screen name over there b/c I couldn't remember my password. I'm going to try my PSU in a friends a64 3400+ 754 socket, if it works, then going to put his back in and try my nobo in his PC to see if that works. Hopefully that'll let me know which of the two it is.