What happened here?

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
I briefly tripped out the main power to my PC by kicking the switch on the power cord under my desk. The PC switched off but I couldn't get it to switch back on by pressing the ON button. I removed the power cable, switched the power supply off put the power cable back in again and switched the power supply on but nothing would start the darn thing.

I wondered if I'd fried the power supply so I open it up, pulled out the MOBO power cable and jammed a paperclip in connectors 3+4. Hey presto the power supply starts up no problems. The wierd thing is, I put the power supply cable back in the the MOBO and the whole system immeadiately springs to life!

So my question is, what happened there and how could I have started up my PC again without doing what I did?

endyen

Splendid
It's a judeo-christian thing. The bios thought you were OCing, and that killed the power. It was punishing you for being a bad boy.
You can reset the bios, or turn power off, then on, then use the reset switch a few times every minute till it starts up.
Sounds like an asus board to me.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Thats probably correct! I think its called Soft power function. That may be the voices in my head talking but I think its correct.

:eek: If I would have shot you when I had the chance, I would be out by now :eek:
Intel P4 550(3.4)@<font color=green>5Ghz</font color=green>