IDE Raid problem on Gigabyte K8N Ultra-9

addyngan

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
Hi,

I just installed my new MB+CPU last nite. It's athlon 3200+ 90nm with Gigabyte K8N Ultra-9. Installation went fine, and i have my OS installed on an SATA drive. However, when i hook two Maxtor IDE 160G Hd to the primary IDE controller, and enable raid from the bios, nvraid in windows see the slave drive having only 128GB capacity. If i disable RAID on these two drives, windows is able to see two separate drives, both 160G.

Now i have moved the IDE HDs to the secondary controller, and it seems to work fine with RAID. So in a sense i have a fix, but i am still wondering if there's sth wrong with the nvidia chipset, the MB, or the chipset driver. I am using the latest driver from nvidia's website (6.53).

Addy.

pat

Expert
You have to use 2 different controller to use RAID. They cannot be master/slave. That will prevent you to use any optical device.

If you want RAID, get 2 SATA drives and RAID them on SATA connector 3-4

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

addyngan

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
Are you sure about that? At least now it's working on my secondary controller.

Also i assume there are people who run 4 IDE HDs in a RAID config as well right?

pat

Expert
Maybe as a mirror array, but I'm not sure about stripping. It might work, but it will kill the performance benefits of the stripping mode..

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>