Newbie question: wireless with only one PC

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
October 28, 2004 1:05:43 AM

Apologies in advance from a newbie asking what is probably a very basic
question.

Thinking about a D-Link package consisting of a DI-624 Xtreme G 2.4GHz
wireless router and DWL-G650 Xtreme 2.4GHz wireless cardbus adapter.

The plan is to connect the router to my cable modem and then access the
router from my one and only PC (laptop)using the cardbus adapter. The idea
of course is to be able to access the Internet from anywhere within range of
the router.

Will this work, or does at least one PC need to be permanently connected to
the router via an ethernet cable?

Thanks for any advice.
October 28, 2004 1:05:44 AM

BozoZenobia wrote:

> Apologies in advance from a newbie asking what is probably a very basic
> question.
>
> Thinking about a D-Link package consisting of a DI-624 Xtreme G 2.4GHz
> wireless router and DWL-G650 Xtreme 2.4GHz wireless cardbus adapter.
>
> The plan is to connect the router to my cable modem and then access the
> router from my one and only PC (laptop)using the cardbus adapter. The idea
> of course is to be able to access the Internet from anywhere within range of
> the router.
>
> Will this work, or does at least one PC need to be permanently connected to
> the router via an ethernet cable?
>
> Thanks for any advice.

It should work fine. You'll probably need to hook up the laptop by patch
cord to configure the router, then go wireless.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 28, 2004 1:05:44 AM

your plan will work fine

"BozoZenobia" <bozozenobia@nomorespam.chello.at> wrote in message
> Apologies in advance from a newbie asking what is probably a very basic
> question.
>
> Thinking about a D-Link package consisting of a DI-624 Xtreme G 2.4GHz
> wireless router and DWL-G650 Xtreme 2.4GHz wireless cardbus adapter.
>
> The plan is to connect the router to my cable modem and then access the
> router from my one and only PC (laptop)using the cardbus adapter. The
idea
> of course is to be able to access the Internet from anywhere within range
of
> the router.
>
> Will this work, or does at least one PC need to be permanently connected
> the router via an ethernet cable?
>
> Thanks for any advice.

a b F Wireless
October 28, 2004 1:54:17 AM

Thanks for the swift response, Rôgêr. I'll give it a try.

"Rôgêr" <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote in message
> BozoZenobia wrote:
>
> > Apologies in advance from a newbie asking what is probably a very basic
> > question.
> >
> > Thinking about a D-Link package consisting of a DI-624 Xtreme G 2.4GHz
> > wireless router and DWL-G650 Xtreme 2.4GHz wireless cardbus adapter.
> >
> > The plan is to connect the router to my cable modem and then access the
> > router from my one and only PC (laptop)using the cardbus adapter. The
idea
> > of course is to be able to access the Internet from anywhere within
range of
> > the router.
> >
> > Will this work, or does at least one PC need to be permanently connected
> > the router via an ethernet cable?
> >
> > Thanks for any advice.
>
> It should work fine. You'll probably need to hook up the laptop by patch
> cord to configure the router, then go wireless.
October 28, 2004 1:55:08 AM

glad to hear your answer Roger, as I am attempting to do the same thing.

Bozo, what are you planning to do about your printers? I personally don't
print often, so
I'll be manually plugging in my printer to my laptop only when needed.

later I plan to add a desktop, but still in a separate room from my router
and modem, so
I'll add a wireless card to it as well, and it has it's own printer.

If printing becomes an issue, I guess I'll add a wireless print server
later.

jojo

"Rôgêr" <abuse@your.isp.com> wrote in message
> BozoZenobia wrote:
>
> > Apologies in advance from a newbie asking what is probably a very basic
> > question.
> >
> > Thinking about a D-Link package consisting of a DI-624 Xtreme G 2.4GHz
> > wireless router and DWL-G650 Xtreme 2.4GHz wireless cardbus adapter.
> >
> > The plan is to connect the router to my cable modem and then access the
> > router from my one and only PC (laptop)using the cardbus adapter. The
idea
> > of course is to be able to access the Internet from anywhere within
range of
> > the router.
> >
> > Will this work, or does at least one PC need to be permanently connected
> > the router via an ethernet cable?
> >
> > Thanks for any advice.
>
> It should work fine. You'll probably need to hook up the laptop by patch
> cord to configure the router, then go wireless.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 28, 2004 1:57:09 AM

Thanks to you too. Good news.

"Airhead" <campbell@alliancecable.net> wrote in message
> your plan will work fine
>

> "BozoZenobia" <bozozenobia@nomorespam.chello.at> wrote in message
> > Apologies in advance from a newbie asking what is probably a very basic
> > question.
> >
> > Thinking about a D-Link package consisting of a DI-624 Xtreme G 2.4GHz
> > wireless router and DWL-G650 Xtreme 2.4GHz wireless cardbus adapter.
> >
> > The plan is to connect the router to my cable modem and then access the
> > router from my one and only PC (laptop)using the cardbus adapter. The
> idea
> > of course is to be able to access the Internet from anywhere within
range
> of
> > the router.
> >
> > Will this work, or does at least one PC need to be permanently connected
> > the router via an ethernet cable?
> >
> > Thanks for any advice.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 28, 2004 2:08:31 AM

Like you, jojo, I will just plug my printer into the laptop when the need
arises. Also like you, I will probably get a desktop in the not too distant
future, but it will be in the same room as the router, so it will be
connected by ethernet cable (and the printer will be permanently connected
to the desktop, with print-sharing enabled). For now I'll have to just live
with a rather aged notebook. Good luck.

!