Mounting partitions as folders

moboking

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2004
I know that when I have many partitions whether within a single physical drive or spanning multiple drives, I can mount any of these partitions as folders within another partition. Aside from the advantage of conserving the alphabets assigned to each partitions, what other advantages are there for doing this?

Does mounting a partion as a folder withing another partition offer some functionalities that having them as "unhidden" partitions does not provide? In other words, do folders have more flexibilities in terms of storage capacity and security?

Come to think of it, I cannot assign a size limit for a folder but I cannot store more data than the size of the partition. Therefore having these partitions mounted as folders, I can limit the size of a particular "folder"?

How about in terms of networking? What advantages do share partitions mounted as folders have?

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Breaking things up into multiple partitions had it's advantages in the good ol days by letting you sqeeze out every little bit of space when using FAT filesystems. With newer drives and newer filesystems you really don't need to partition for any reason other than organization. Put os on a partition, apps on another, and games on another. That is about it. If you don't want/need to organize in that fasion just keep one big drive.
I used to have lots of partitions but once I decided to try having one big drive I never went back. I just didn't see the purpose of it.

If you want major performance increases get a bunch of drives and raid them. Spanning won't increase your performance at all because it will just start where another drive ends. If you want fast access and data security get 3 or 5 drives and raid5 them.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>