PCI slots won't work!!!

soytnly

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2005
Help! I just built a new system with an Aopen AK86-L board, Athlon 64 3000 and I'm unable to use any PCI slots. I ran the driver disk, or so I think and if I install any PCI device such as a Firewire or IDE card, the system won't get past 'push F3 for configuration' and is then non-responsive. Any ideas??

soytnly

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2005
I can't seem to find the version, but what I'm finding now is that when I plug in my Firewire card, the system is just dead - the fan turns for a split second and the system is non-responsive. I have to physically unplug the computer power, remove the PCI card and then start it up. Ugggh.

soytnly

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2005
I tried an IDE card in another slot and it would only get to the 'config' screen. The Firewire card seems to short out the board or something, as the system basically goes dead and needs to be unplugged in order to 'reset' something or other. I'm starting to wonder if the board is bad. A bios setting wouldn't do it, would it?

soytnly

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2005
Thanks, I updated the chipset driver, installed the IDE card into slot 1 and got it to work, but the Firewire still keeps the system dead. Works just fine in my other computer - odd. Do the cards need to fill the slots in order on this board? Never heard of such a thing, but I'm at a loss.

It could be the wrong PCI version for your motherboard. If your motherboard is version2.0 and the controller card 2.1 it may not work, I have heard of this happening a couple times before.

I aint signing nothing!!!

soytnly

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2005
I actually got the IDE controller card to work by sticking it in slot 1 and downloading the latest chipset driver. While installing the controller, the system rebooted 3 times for no apparent reason but then was up and running. I tried installing the Adaptec Firewire card in slot 3 and the system goes dead still. Could this board be 'slot sensitive'? Thanks for all the suggestions too.

See if the controller card REQUIRES a paticular IRQ,DMA or I/O range. If so it could be conflicting with another device on the board.

If so ,go into the bios and set one slot up with the resources it needs and reboot. Now install the card.
Another thought before you try the above.You may need to set Plug and Play OS to NO to make the board assign IRG,DMA and I/O range.

I aint signing nothing!!!

endyen

Splendid
It's an Acer mobo. I'm guessing you had a little trouble installing it. Maybe it didn't go in quite right? Is there a standoff missing in the lower back area?
I think that the firewire card is not seating properly, so make sure that it goes all the way in, all the way along.

soytnly

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2005
It's an Aopen board. It went in fine, and there are six standoffs as I recall. I switched out the controller card last night for the Firewire card, and that worked just fine. I tried adding the controller card into slot 2, and the computer would freeze up again at the 'press f3 for configuration' screen, with the controller card id/info on the top of the screen. That's it, all the further I can get. I flashed the latest bios successfully last night too.

soytnly

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2005
Ooops...didn't know that about Acer...I would've avoided had I known that. I'll probably have to rma, I'm not sure any other direction to go in.

Thanks all!