Advice on MSI P4N system

Dougyboy

Distinguished
May 2, 2005
Hi, After being impressed by the MSI P4N MB review I have decided to choose the MB for my new system as soon as it becomes available in Australia. I've chosen the Intel 650 (3.4GHz) for CPU (as nicely priced) however need some advice on what graphic cards to purchase, P4N is (SLI) & RAM.

Can anyone suggest some graphics cards & RAM that will suit and not bottleneck the system. I'm an earger WOW gamer and use the computer with many applications also for work. Please be kind as have not had a lot of experience with designing systems.

What other work applications? What will primary usage be for the PC?

AMD has the advantage in gaming performance right now. Additionally, if you're thinking about a dual core system down the road, then s939 systems will be compatible with the dual core AMD CPUs with a mobo BIOS flash.

About SLI: I think the price/performance for an SLI system is horrible at this point. You can get a single, high-end vid card for 1/2 the price and get over 90% of the SLI performance (X850XTPE vs SLI 6800GT). Where the SLI wins is in first person shooter games at high resolutions with AA/AF enabled. In WOW you're internet connection is more likely to bottleneck than the video card.

Dougyboy

Distinguished
May 2, 2005
For work I use a VNC to access work systems (essentially databases) from home and other programs I use regularly are Photoshop, Dreamweaver & Microsoft Powerpoint.

An AMD system should performa admirably for that work. I don't want to discourage you from going Intel if that's what you really want to do, but I personally recommend AMD for it's price/performance.

I'll list some AGP and PCIe cards- make sure you get the right one for the mobo you're choosing. Depending on your price range, here are a few good video card options:
1. <A HREF="http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125174R" target="_new">Refurb Gigabyte X800XL - PCIe</A> for $263.20.
2. <A HREF="http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150080" target="_new">XFX GeForce 6600GT - AGP</A> for $159
3. <A HREF="http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150073" target="_new">XFX 6800GT - AGP</A> for $299.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
You may not want to hear this, but your gonna :lol: If you havent bought the MSI board do some serious research. The best boards with the 925XE chipset are the ASUS P5AD2 series"the E-Premium in particular and a couple of Abit boards but they lag slightly in performance compared to the ASUS boards. If you dont beleive me then go to some of the forums that have alot of intel people and you will see that what I am saying is true.

:eek: If I would have shot you when I had the chance, I would be out by now :eek:
Intel P4 550(3.4)@<font color=green>5Ghz</font color=green>

In addition to what Mozz said, I don't recommend MSI - at all. I've had too many issues with their boards and seen a lot of other people with the same types of probs. Might want to listen to Mozz as far as Intel performance - he's taken his 550(?) to 5Ghz on one of those Asus boards he mentioned. That's a benchable 5Ghz - not just BIOS screenshots.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Whens the next tourney? I would be interested if you ever need a partner. Iwent yesterday and had hell catching anything. The weather was nice, but the pond was like glass and they just are to skurd when theres no ripple. Caught another hoss 4lb MALE. and 10 - 12 little tiny ones. As bad as I hate to do it, those little 6 - 8 inchers get thrown on the bank. People dont understand how to may of those little ones gill the food supply.

Bream colored Rooster tale was what they finally started hitting at dark.

:eek: If I would have shot you when I had the chance, I would be out by now :eek:

I was going to fish one this Saturday, but the sister-in-law is graduating. :frown: I would have to pay hard for that little faux pas. No such a bad thing anyway - the payout is only $600 for first and that is based on a 75 boat field - there was only 28 boats signed up as of yesterday. I'll check to see when the next open tournament is being held. There may be one next weekend - Saturday the 14th. If so let's try to hook up, stick some pigs and make a little money!

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Roger that! Sounds good. Do you think that you may be able to slip off for a few hours this weekend? This one pond tht I want to take you to is peaking about now.

*grumbles*
I just got tagged with having a social function at my house next Tuesday - the wife has pulled my priveleges until I get some yard work done. :frown:

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
This borders on human rights violations!

HELP! HELP! I'M BEING REPRESSED! I'M BEING REPRESSED!