Why charged minutes for ignored call?

I am on VZW Prepay.

When I get a call I don't want to answer, if I press the "ignore"
button on my Motorola Timeport 270c, I get charged the $0.25 connect
fee plus $0.10 for one minute. When I go to the VZW website and check
my call sadistics, such calls always show one or two seconds time.

But if I just let it keep ringing until it naturally goes to
voicemail, I get no charge (if the caller doesn't leave a message).

Why would I get charged using the ignore function, since I don't
actually take the call? Are minutes so used when ignore is used on a
postpay (contract) plan?

Does this happen on the regular plans? That you get a hit against your
minutes when you hit "ignore" - and get billed if you are over your
allotment?

Chris

USENET READER wrote:
> Does this happen on the regular plans? That you get a hit against your
> minutes when you hit "ignore" - and get billed if you are over your
> allotment?

The question is, what actually happens from a technical point of view when you
hit the ignore button?

I don't believe Verizon ever sold the 270C, so don't bother asking them...

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 19:49:25 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>USENET READER wrote:
>> Does this happen on the regular plans? That you get a hit against your
>> minutes when you hit "ignore" - and get billed if you are over your
>> allotment?
>
>The question is, what actually happens from a technical point of view when you
>hit the ignore button?
>
>I don't believe Verizon ever sold the 270C, so don't bother asking them...

Doesn't the 2325 do that? I seem to recall seeing a VZW phone that
could send a call instantly to VM. I know the 3035 does not, and the
2325 would have been the last VZW phone (that wasn't mine) that I
used.

happen.

If you let the phone ring without any action, it will roll over to VM
without your handset communicating with the tower, other than it's
normal (sorry, paraphrasing) "Can you hear me now?" pings and
establish a connection to the cell site and transmit information to it
(dump the call to VM). The Free-Up system probably sees that
connection as an attempted call. I'm not saying it's right, but
that's probably what is happening. It may or may not be what they
intended. Call CS and ask them about it. If necessary, ask to be
bumped up to tier 2 support to find out if this "situation" was by
intent or accident.

Yes, god for bid Verizon would try and help with with a CDMA phone they
don't sell. God for bid!

sjsobol@JustThe.net

The Ghost of General Lee wrote:

> Doesn't the 2325 do that? I seem to recall seeing a VZW phone that
> could send a call instantly to VM. I know the 3035 does not, and the
> 2325 would have been the last VZW phone (that wasn't mine) that I
> used.

The 2325 does indeed do that - I owned one, I speak from experience. I liked my
2325. In addition to a lot of useful features (like that one), it's tri-mode.

"Schmye Bubbula" <SchmyeBubbula@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> I am on VZW Prepay.
>
> When I get a call I don't want to answer, if I press the "ignore"
> button on my Motorola Timeport 270c, I get charged the $0.25 connect
> fee plus $0.10 for one minute. When I go to the VZW website and check
> my call sadistics, such calls always show one or two seconds time.
>
> But if I just let it keep ringing until it naturally goes to
> voicemail, I get no charge (if the caller doesn't leave a message).

Does "ignore" just silence the ringer, or does it cut off connection? If
it's the latter, your phone might be offhook for a second and hangup,
costing you a minute.

Killer Madness wrote:

> Yes, god for bid Verizon would try and help with with a CDMA phone they
> don't sell. God for bid!

Does Comcast support modems that they didn't originally give to customers?

On the 270c which VZW DID sell when you hit ignore it justcuts off the
ringer. The only ones that do it differently are some LG models. Motorolas
just turn off the ringer and the missed call indicator.
Larry

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:44:29 GMT, "jdoe" <jdoe@msn.com> wrote:

>On the 270c which VZW DID sell when you hit ignore it justcuts off the
>ringer. The only ones that do it differently are some LG models. Motorolas
>just turn off the ringer and the missed call indicator.
>Larry

The 270c was never sold by Verizon direct stores, only indirects (non
Verizon owned stores).

Evan

> Killer Madness wrote:
>
> > Yes, god for bid Verizon would try and help with with a CDMA phone they
> > don't sell. God for bid!
>
> Does Comcast support modems that they didn't originally give to customers?
>
> --

Nice!!! I'll be interested in seeing if you get a rational response.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> The 270c was never sold by Verizon direct stores, only indirects (non
> Verizon owned stores).

Hate to dispute this wuith you, but I did have a 270c, ordered it from the
Verizon Wireless website. Still have th phone (not in use though anymore).
This was in NY, might have been different in your neck of the woods.

--

Mike

Michael wrote:

> Hate to dispute this wuith you, but I did have a 270c, ordered it from the
> Verizon Wireless website. Still have th phone (not in use though anymore).
> This was in NY, might have been different in your neck of the woods.

Well, if it was sold through Verizon corporate, it should be supported. I've
just never seen it sold directly through Verizon. Back home, in northeast Ohio,
I only saw one Verizon *reseller*, even, that carried it. Alltel was the
biggest carrier selling the 270c at the time.

You kidding? We roll trucks for whatever modem is at the customer's house.
Just to roll a truck to some one's house cost $95. And that's without doing
anything. We support whatever device is at the customer's house...even help
them with their TV's when things aren't working properly. We are nothing
like a cell phone company. We understand how much customer's count to a
company.

> Killer Madness wrote:
>
> > Yes, god for bid Verizon would try and help with with a CDMA phone they
> > don't sell. God for bid!
>
> Does Comcast support modems that they didn't originally give to customers?
>
> --
> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.

Because Verizon Is a bunch of sharks.

"Schmye Bubbula" <SchmyeBubbula@mailinator.com> wrote in message
>I am on VZW Prepay.
>
> When I get a call I don't want to answer, if I press the "ignore"
> button on my Motorola Timeport 270c, I get charged the $0.25 connect
> fee plus $0.10 for one minute. When I go to the VZW website and check
> my call sadistics, such calls always show one or two seconds time.
>
> But if I just let it keep ringing until it naturally goes to
> voicemail, I get no charge (if the caller doesn't leave a message).
>
> Why would I get charged using the ignore function, since I don't
> actually take the call? Are minutes so used when ignore is used on a
> postpay (contract) plan?

tron

I purchased a 270C in July of 2002 in a real Verizon Store. However, last
Dec. I bought a NON-verizon 270C on eBay and am much happier with it! No
Verizon crippling software or annyoing banner. Games, Bluetooth,
Keypad-lock all work great! Plus the cool reflective screen for much easier
viewing. If you ever see one of these phones you will realize how Verizon
took the cheap route with its customers with this phone. (big surprise!)

Yes, the 270C will just silence the ringer if you hit IGNORE.

Also, with the Samsung A670, if you hit ignore the other party will go
immediately to VM. If you hit END it will just silence the ringer. I would
advice NOT to use ignore because the other party will KNOW you are IGNORING
them!! Oops!! Be careful! ("Ring-Ring, VM" Versus "Ring times 9 then VM)

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 18:22:44 GMT, "Tron" <tron2001@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I would
>advice NOT to use ignore because the other party will KNOW you are IGNORING
>them!!

Unless that's your intent.;-)

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 23:42:20 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee
<ghost@general.lee> chose to add this to the great equation of life, the
universe, and everything:

> I seem to recall seeing a VZW phone that
>could send a call instantly to VM. I know the 3035 does not, and the
>2325 would have been the last VZW phone (that wasn't mine) that I
>used.

>happen.
>
>If you let the phone ring without any action, it will roll over to VM
>without your handset communicating with the tower, other than it's
>normal (sorry, paraphrasing) "Can you hear me now?" pings and
>establish a connection to the cell site and transmit information to it
>(dump the call to VM). The Free-Up system probably sees that
>connection as an attempted call. I'm not saying it's right, but
>that's probably what is happening. It may or may not be what they
>intended. Call CS and ask them about it. If necessary, ask to be
>bumped up to tier 2 support to find out if this "situation" was by
>intent or accident.

On the vx4400, if you hit either of the volume buttons while it is ringing,
it silences the ringer. Technically, I see no reason for it to tell the
tower anything at this point. However, if you hit the volume button a
second time, it sends the call to VM, which does mean transmitting to the
tower. It is certainly in keeping with VZW's other practices and policies
to charge for this, but I've never noticed whether they actually do.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"I'm not getting you down at all am I?" - Marvin

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:44:29 GMT, "jdoe" <jdoe@msn.com> chose to add this
to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>On the 270c which VZW DID sell when you hit ignore it justcuts off the
>ringer. The only ones that do it differently are some LG models. Motorolas
>just turn off the ringer and the missed call indicator.

I *wish* the 4400 would skip logging the call as missed when you actively
ignore it.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"As the French say, 'Bon voyage!' (literally, 'Carry antibiotics!')."
- Dave Barry

"David S" <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:44:29 GMT, "jdoe" <jdoe@msn.com> chose to add this
> to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:
>
> >On the 270c which VZW DID sell when you hit ignore it justcuts off the
> >ringer. The only ones that do it differently are some LG models.
Motorolas
> >just turn off the ringer and the missed call indicator.
>
> I *wish* the 4400 would skip logging the call as missed when you actively
> ignore it.

To me it looks like the 4400 just jumps to "silence all mode" when you press
an outside VOL button. The incoming call continues to ring and can still be
answered. I have forgotten to turn off the ringer a few times and used this
feature to allow me to get somewhere so I can answer the call.
I guess the phone can't tell if I ignored the incoming call OR if I was
unable to answer it.

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 04:56:53 GMT, David S
<dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote:

>On the vx4400, if you hit either of the volume buttons while it is ringing,
>it silences the ringer. Technically, I see no reason for it to tell the
>tower anything at this point. However, if you hit the volume button a
>second time, it sends the call to VM, which does mean transmitting to the
>tower. It is certainly in keeping with VZW's other practices and policies
>to charge for this, but I've never noticed whether they actually do.

All well and good, but we weren't talking about a 4400, and it was an
issue that was raised regarding a FreeUp account.

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 12:56:32 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee
<ghost@general.lee> chose to add this to the great equation of life, the
universe, and everything:

>On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 04:56:53 GMT, David S
><dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote:
>
>>On the vx4400, if you hit either of the volume buttons while it is ringing,
>>it silences the ringer. Technically, I see no reason for it to tell the
>>tower anything at this point. However, if you hit the volume button a
>>second time, it sends the call to VM, which does mean transmitting to the
>>tower. It is certainly in keeping with VZW's other practices and policies
>>to charge for this, but I've never noticed whether they actually do.
>
>All well and good, but we weren't talking about a 4400, and it was an
>issue that was raised regarding a FreeUp account.

Neither were we talking about the 2325 until you brought it up, and the OP
asked whether regular accounts are charged for this.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"I sure wish I knew what was going on." - Henry Blake
"Oh, I'll tell you later, sir." - Radar
"You always say that, Radar, but you never do." - Henry