Would this be money well spent?

benk

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004
My current setup is Motherboard MSI K7N2 Delta, CPU AMD XP 2700+, RAM 1G KINGMAX DDR500, GRAPHICS CARD 6800 GT (OC TO ULTRA SPEEDS).
I have just had my birthday and I've got 250 to spend on a upgrade, I'm going to get a AMD 64 3500 s939 and a Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939 - nForce3 mobo.Would this be money well spent?

What games do you play and at what resolutions? I don't think you will get a big gaming improvement from this upgrade.

Unless you have more money to throw ino the pot, you won't have enough money to do the upgrade anyway - that 3500+ costs more than $250 by itself.

pat

Expert
In your case, I would rather go with socket754. You have cheaper mobo, cheaper CPU ... The 3200+ 754 run at the same speed than the 3500+ 939... except the 939 is dual channel.

This, with your video card, will give you a nice setup, that could be had for 250$ if you shop a bit.

Doesnt worth to spend for 939 and AGP. When you'll need more power, maybe in 2 years..or more, you'll want to get a PCIe motherboard with the latest and greatest technology. Getting a 939 only to be able to upgrade to dual core dont worth it. Newer and faster dual core will use a different socket and different memory and by the time, more apps and game will be optimised for dual core.. That's when you'll want to upgrade.

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

rumcooler

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Don't mean to highjack your thread ,but i am in the same boat as you. I have a shuttle an35n ultra , xp 2500 at 3200 speeds, and a 6800gt. I was also thinking of upgrading as well. A 754 3400+ processor. would it be worth the money or a waste. sorry didn't want to start a new thread.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rumcooler on 05/02/05 09:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pat

Expert
the 3400+ 754 is a very powerful CPU to match with your video card that will give you enough power survive at least 2-3 years.. go for it if you can afford it!

rumcooler

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Thanks i can. i will pair it with the soltek nf3-250, 1 gig corsair, a wd raptor,and a 450 ocz modular power supply. Thanks for the advice. I wasn't really sure. just needed a push.

pat

Expert
I use the Soltek boardfor my 754 built and it is a very goos and fast board. Rock stable all the way, from install to operation. You'll have a very nice setup..

rumcooler

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Thanks, it is a nice looking board as well

By the way, what kind of ram do you use? I was thinking of value ram as i won't be overclocking. what do you think?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rumcooler on 05/03/05 07:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pat

Expert
It worked with good with the Corsair TWINX I had in my previous system and I put Samsung generic RAM in the ones I built for others. I sold my soltek and 3000+ to a friend who's computer went dead, and get a Gigabyte 939 with a 3000+ board to test PCIe. I should get the nforce4 939 Soltek motherboard soon, to replace the Gigabyte. Not that the Gygabite is not good, but it dont feel snappy, as my previous one.. maybe it is just an impression and the Soltek will do the same.. I will see.

rumcooler

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
this will be the ram i get
[http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820145450]

oops no clicky!
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rumcooler on 05/03/05 10:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pat

Expert
In reply to:

N/A, 4/20/2005 2:49:40 AM

Just got it in today, added it to my 2x256 kingston ram and saw a huge performance increase. I had an increase of 60 fps on CSS

...hehe idiot!

And.. I hope that the "idiot" is not directed to me or I'll have a trip to new zealand!!! :tongue:

LOL - not you it was directed at one of the prodct reviewers on Newegg. :wink:

pat

Expert
To be honest, I bought Twinx memory 2 and half years ago.. still have it. I know it was expensive, but at this time, generic DDR400 ram had horrible timing and was not really cheap. I wouldnt spend that amount in memory today for dual channel optimized memory.. I would just get some fast generic RAM

pat

Expert
That makes you twice the idiot cuz you bought from Corsair!

But that dont mean that I would not have a trip to new zealand.. now it really worth it

pat

Expert
IMHO, no.. but if you can afford it, then go for it. That will only make your system last longer..

HansGruber

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
Socket 939 motherboard about 120$, cheapest s-939 CPU about 130$ ?

You could use your 1GB DDR on that system.

That would be money well spent, since you can update to faster cpus, which is not possible with socket 754.