Sign in with
Your question

How to access files from separate XP install?

Last response: in Windows XP
December 25, 2004 4:08:43 PM

My original XP Pro install became unstable and I can no longer log in without the system crashing in process. I installed a second install of XP Pro on the same HD/same partition/NTFS. I need to move the user files from the original install to the new one, but when I try to the files from the original install (e.g., in Documents and Settings), I get the message "Access Denied." I am logged onto the supervisor account of the new install.

How do I access the old files? The files are intact. It appears to be just a rights/access issue.

Please help!
December 25, 2004 5:07:07 PM

1) disable simple filesharing
tools, folder options, view, uncheck "use simple filesharing"
2) take ownership of the files
right click on folder, go to sharing and security, security, advanced, owner, click on the account your are currently using, check replace owner on subcontainer and objects, click ok.

That should do it :) 

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
December 25, 2004 6:16:14 PM

You are Santa Claus! This did the trick.

Thanks!! :-D
Related resources
April 19, 2005 10:31:27 AM

bump

....WW (5.0)
April 19, 2005 7:41:38 PM

Folken is Santa Clause? When did you get that gig?

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>
!