redss

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
I have 2 computers, a 450 MHz Pentium II with a 512 MB L2 Cache, and a 600 MHz Pentium III with a 256 Mb L2 Cache.

I got the L2 Cache size by running a benchmark program.

I only need one computer, so I want to retire the Pentium II, but I don't know anything about L2 Cache - would I be able to transfer the L2 cache from its motherboard to the PIII motherboard? Would that be possible to make it faster?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You couldn't, and besides, the cache on the PII is very slow like wusy said.

Look at it this way, there were 6 versions of the PIII 600. The fastest versions had 256k, the slowest versions had 512k, all because the larger cache was clocked slower. So you're already doing the best you can with the PIII 600.

The cache for both is on the processor. PII's and 512k PIII's had it soldered on the CPU card next to the CPU die, while 256k PIII's had it built-into the same die as the CPU core (hence, it's much faster). L2 cache hasn't been on the motherboard since Socket 7 (Pentiums, K6's, etc).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>