fiveiron

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2004
Building a computer for a friend and just found out she has a LCD, anybody know if there is any onboard video with dvi? socket 478

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There might be, but I've never seen one. I believe there's a Socket 479 board for Pentium-M's with DVI, but that's no use to you.

Check around for cheap DVI video cards, but first make certain she doesn't have a VGA connector on her LCD, as many units do. In fact, many older LCD's used VGA exclusively. Such units have to convert the analog VGA signal back to a digital approximation, internally.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Bad answer, DVI and VGA aren't compatable. DVI-I has DVI pins plus VGA pins integrated into one connector and can power both through an adapter. DVI-D can't. And it doesn't work in reverse, a DVI monitor doesn't support a VGA signal through the DVI port.

Some flat pannels offer both connectors. Some even used only VGA. But a flat panel that only has DVI can't use a VGA signal, because it won't have the ADC (analog/digital converter).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>