What Power Supply To Buy as a Replacement

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

My computer is:

HP Pavilion 8710 (Configurable)
Serial Number US04954376
Purchase Date 12/01/2000
System # D7205U
Support ID: 03-7205-U000-0495-4376
MOBO: ASUS MEW-AM Rev 2.01 (FC-PGA 370 Socket)
512MB SDRAM, 810e Chipset, Celeron 667

I am buying the upgrade CPU kit from Stratton Computer to go to a
Celeron 1.3GHz. I also have order a Plextor 612A DVD±R/W Drive.
Installed already is a Plextor CDR/RW drive which I am leaving in and
pulling out the HP Colorado 4/8GB Tape Drive.

My question is, there is no markings on the Power Supply as to the
supplied Wattage. So I want to replace it with a 350W supply. But, I
have no idea if these power supplies are standard plugins or not? Do
I buy a ATX and it will fit and have the proper connections?

I have sent two messages to HP Support over the past two weeks with no
reply. Any help on buying a PS replacement would be appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
Tom
HP Pavilion 8710 Configurable
MoBo ASUS MEW-AM Rev. 2.01
Intel 810e Chipset
Celeron 667
512MB
250GBHD (Windows 2000/SP4), 40GB (RedHat Linux)
16 answers Last reply
More about what power supply replacement
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    I believe that HP uses PROPRIETARY power supply units, so an off-the-shelf
    unit from a computer store will probably NOT work with the HP case,
    motherboard, etc.

    --
    DaveW

    "Thomas Collins Jr" <tom041652@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > My computer is:
    >
    > HP Pavilion 8710 (Configurable)
    > Serial Number US04954376
    > Purchase Date 12/01/2000
    > System # D7205U
    > Support ID: 03-7205-U000-0495-4376
    > MOBO: ASUS MEW-AM Rev 2.01 (FC-PGA 370 Socket)
    > 512MB SDRAM, 810e Chipset, Celeron 667
    >
    > I am buying the upgrade CPU kit from Stratton Computer to go to a
    > Celeron 1.3GHz. I also have order a Plextor 612A DVD±R/W Drive.
    > Installed already is a Plextor CDR/RW drive which I am leaving in and
    > pulling out the HP Colorado 4/8GB Tape Drive.
    >
    > My question is, there is no markings on the Power Supply as to the
    > supplied Wattage. So I want to replace it with a 350W supply. But, I
    > have no idea if these power supplies are standard plugins or not? Do
    > I buy a ATX and it will fit and have the proper connections?
    >
    > I have sent two messages to HP Support over the past two weeks with no
    > reply. Any help on buying a PS replacement would be appreciated.
    >

    > Thanks & Regards,
    > Tom
    > HP Pavilion 8710 Configurable
    > MoBo ASUS MEW-AM Rev. 2.01
    > Intel 810e Chipset
    > Celeron 667
    > 512MB
    > 250GBHD (Windows 2000/SP4), 40GB (RedHat Linux)
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    DaveW wrote:
    > I believe that HP uses PROPRIETARY power supply units, so an off-the-shelf
    > unit from a computer store will probably NOT work with the HP case,
    > motherboard, etc.

    All recent Pavilions I've seen use ATX power supplies. In older cases
    they are smaller to fit in the cases they use (a micro ATX supply). You
    can get small supplies from Antec.

    Measure the distance from front to back (as installed in the computer)
    for the power supply. Look at how close the CD drives and their
    connectors are from the supply. A generic ATX replacement supply may be
    too large for your case.

    As others will mention, buying a new case and power supply may be easier.

    craigm
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    Some older HP units use the ATX power supply with one extra connector to the MB.
    This is difference from generic ATX power supply.

    Dewaine

    craigm wrote:

    > DaveW wrote:
    > > I believe that HP uses PROPRIETARY power supply units, so an off-the-shelf
    > > unit from a computer store will probably NOT work with the HP case,
    > > motherboard, etc.
    > >

    > All recent Pavilions I've seen use ATX power supplies. In older cases
    > they are smaller to fit in the cases they use (a micro ATX supply). You
    > can get small supplies from Antec.
    >
    > Measure the distance from front to back (as installed in the computer)
    > for the power supply. Look at how close the CD drives and their
    > connectors are from the supply. A generic ATX replacement supply may be
    > too large for your case.
    >
    > As others will mention, buying a new case and power supply may be easier.
    >
    > craigm
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    I'll confirm that HP Pentium 3 and Celeron (and even AMD Duron/Athlon) systems
    use power supplies and motherboards with a standard ATX power connector. The
    form factors of the HP power supplies are not generic. They are smaller than
    the usual, and you are quite unlikely to find a 350w power supply in that size.
    You MIGHT be able to find a 200w power supply in a size that fits your HP case.

    HP Support is an oxymoron, especially with Pavilion systems and especially with
    older systems. HP will do nothing to help you with aftermarket system upgrades.
    They'd rather you would replace the system.

    You are better off buying a new case with 350w power supply, gutting the HP
    case, and putting all the good stuff in the new case. It will cost you less in
    the long run, and you will not be wasting your time chasing down a rare
    (possibly non-existent) small-sized power supply... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:30:04 -0500, Thomas Collins Jr <tom041652@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >My computer is:
    >
    >HP Pavilion 8710 (Configurable)
    >Serial Number US04954376
    >Purchase Date 12/01/2000
    >System # D7205U
    >Support ID: 03-7205-U000-0495-4376
    >MOBO: ASUS MEW-AM Rev 2.01 (FC-PGA 370 Socket)
    >512MB SDRAM, 810e Chipset, Celeron 667
    >
    >I am buying the upgrade CPU kit from Stratton Computer to go to a
    >Celeron 1.3GHz. I also have order a Plextor 612A DVD±R/W Drive.
    >Installed already is a Plextor CDR/RW drive which I am leaving in and
    >pulling out the HP Colorado 4/8GB Tape Drive.
    >
    >My question is, there is no markings on the Power Supply as to the
    >supplied Wattage. So I want to replace it with a 350W supply. But, I
    >have no idea if these power supplies are standard plugins or not? Do
    >I buy a ATX and it will fit and have the proper connections?
    >
    >I have sent two messages to HP Support over the past two weeks with no
    >reply. Any help on buying a PS replacement would be appreciated.
    >

    >Thanks & Regards,
    >Tom
    >HP Pavilion 8710 Configurable
    >MoBo ASUS MEW-AM Rev. 2.01
    >Intel 810e Chipset
    >Celeron 667
    >512MB
    >250GBHD (Windows 2000/SP4), 40GB (RedHat Linux)
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:30:04 -0500, Thomas Collins Jr
    <tom041652@comcast.net> wrote:

    >My computer is:
    >
    >HP Pavilion 8710 (Configurable)
    >Serial Number US04954376
    >Purchase Date 12/01/2000
    >System # D7205U
    >Support ID: 03-7205-U000-0495-4376
    >MOBO: ASUS MEW-AM Rev 2.01 (FC-PGA 370 Socket)
    >512MB SDRAM, 810e Chipset, Celeron 667
    >
    >I am buying the upgrade CPU kit from Stratton Computer to go to a
    >Celeron 1.3GHz. I also have order a Plextor 612A DVD±R/W Drive.
    >Installed already is a Plextor CDR/RW drive which I am leaving in and
    >pulling out the HP Colorado 4/8GB Tape Drive.
    >
    >My question is, there is no markings on the Power Supply as to the
    >supplied Wattage. So I want to replace it with a 350W supply.

    OK, but you don't need a 350W supply for the aforementioned
    parts. A decent 250W would be sufficient, or a good
    180-200W should do the job. However, if the case was
    engineered to only provide single-point exaust from the PSU,
    then you may have a PSU getting hotter with these upgrades.

    > But, I
    >have no idea if these power supplies are standard plugins or not? Do
    >I buy a ATX and it will fit and have the proper connections?

    Google search for power supply dimensions. Identify/measure
    yours and compare. Some HP used full-sized PSU, others
    often used a shorter (PS/3?) type that allowed them to make
    the case shallower - in such cases a full ATX psu would fit
    but it'd block the back of the drive bays. It doesn't help
    that HP made almost identical looking cases with either
    configuration, I happen to have a couple examples here but
    they've already been gutted, I have no idea if either was
    your model.

    HP did generally use standard wiring pinout for the
    motherboard connector, it is most likely electrically ATX
    compatible even if a proprietary shape/size casing.
    Determining that casing form-factor is the first step if you
    really want to replace it. It's probably not actually
    "proprietary" but might be less common than full ATX (PS2)
    or mATX.

    >I have sent two messages to HP Support over the past two weeks with no
    >reply. Any help on buying a PS replacement would be appreciated.
    >

    >Thanks & Regards,
    >Tom
    >HP Pavilion 8710 Configurable
    >MoBo ASUS MEW-AM Rev. 2.01
    >Intel 810e Chipset
    >Celeron 667
    >512MB
    >250GBHD (Windows 2000/SP4), 40GB (RedHat Linux)

    If you're using the integrated video rather than an add-on
    card, the odds are pretty good that your current PSU will be
    sufficient. A Celeron 1.3 is not (relatively speaking) a
    very needy CPU when it comes to power. Swapping the tape
    drive for the optical is going to be a trival difference.

    If you took a good hi-res picture of the side with the cover
    off (posted to seperate server, not to the newsgroup) and
    linked to it, we could probably figure out what you're
    dealing with.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    Well there is a Computer God after all.... got a reply from HP
    Technical and they told me the PS was a standard 185W ATX form one.
    Also said any ATX PS will fit into the case I have, even a 380W which
    they said was overkill, but it's what I want to use. I ordered a
    Coolergiant, 380W ATX Power Supply from Cyberguys.com, Part 162-0625.
    If per chance it does't fit ie. HP lied to me I'll send it back and
    get a new Case with a larger PS.

    Thanks for all the help.

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:30:04 -0500, Thomas Collins Jr
    <tom041652@comcast.net> wrote:

    >My computer is:
    >
    >HP Pavilion 8710 (Configurable)
    >Serial Number US04954376
    >Purchase Date 12/01/2000
    >System # D7205U
    >Support ID: 03-7205-U000-0495-4376
    >MOBO: ASUS MEW-AM Rev 2.01 (FC-PGA 370 Socket)
    >512MB SDRAM, 810e Chipset, Celeron 667
    >
    >I am buying the upgrade CPU kit from Stratton Computer to go to a
    >Celeron 1.3GHz. I also have order a Plextor 612A DVD±R/W Drive.
    >Installed already is a Plextor CDR/RW drive which I am leaving in and
    >pulling out the HP Colorado 4/8GB Tape Drive.
    >
    >My question is, there is no markings on the Power Supply as to the
    >supplied Wattage. So I want to replace it with a 350W supply. But, I
    >have no idea if these power supplies are standard plugins or not? Do
    >I buy a ATX and it will fit and have the proper connections?
    >
    >I have sent two messages to HP Support over the past two weeks with no
    >reply. Any help on buying a PS replacement would be appreciated.
    >

    >Thanks & Regards,
    >Tom
    >HP Pavilion 8710 Configurable
    >MoBo ASUS MEW-AM Rev. 2.01
    >Intel 810e Chipset
    >Celeron 667
    >512MB
    >250GBHD (Windows 2000/SP4), 40GB (RedHat Linux)

    Thanks & Regards,
    Tom
    HP Pavilion 8710 Configurable
    MoBo ASUS MEW-AM Rev. 2.01
    Intel 810e Chipset
    Celeron 667
    512MB
    250GBHD (Windows 2000/SP4), 40GB (RedHat Linux)
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    Too many hype only wattage and price because that is their
    extent of knowledge. However power supplies must include
    other essential functions. It is does, then manufacturer will
    state them in writing. To provide those functions, a power
    supply should retail at about $65. If your Coolergiant does
    not, then it may cause future computer damage.

    #1 information before selecting any power supply. Does
    manufacturer provide a long list of numerical specs? Not a
    glossy colored sales brochure. How to dump power supplies
    that are missing essential functions but increase profits?
    Don't provide numbers that define essential functions. Then
    when things fail, many buy UPSes, blame damage on surges,
    etc. Where are specs for that Coolergiant? Why are specs not
    immediately available?

    Why do so many hype 300 and 400 watt power supplies? It and
    price are the only two specification numbers some understand.
    Then when damage results from those other missing functions,
    blame everyone except the human who did not first demand
    numerical specs.

    The 185 watt supply was large enough - in part probably
    because it really was 185 watts. Is that 380 watt supply
    really 380 watts? How would you know. Many power supplies
    provide so little numbers that the 380 watt supply may only be
    a 250 watt supply. How would you know if they did not provide
    a full sheet plus of numerical specifications?

    More watts does not mean higher quality. Once a supply
    provides sufficient wattage, then additional watts provide
    nothing useful. But manufacturers will hype watts so they
    need not include those other essential functions.

    Thomas Collins Jr wrote:
    > Well there is a Computer God after all.... got a reply from HP
    > Technical and they told me the PS was a standard 185W ATX form one.
    > Also said any ATX PS will fit into the case I have, even a 380W which
    > they said was overkill, but it's what I want to use. I ordered a
    > Coolergiant, 380W ATX Power Supply from Cyberguys.com, Part 162-0625.
    > If per chance it does't fit ie. HP lied to me I'll send it back and
    > get a new Case with a larger PS.
    >
    > Thanks for all the help.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    w_tom wrote:

    > More watts does not mean higher quality. Once a supply
    > provides sufficient wattage, then additional watts provide
    > nothing useful. But manufacturers will hype watts so they
    > need not include those other essential functions.

    Just what features are you talking about? Are these things that go
    beyond the specification for an ATX supply?

    craigm
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    Let's see:

    An ATX connector.
    A 12v auxiliary connector for P4, Socket 478 Celeron and high-end AMD systems.
    An optional 3-wire lead for thermostatic control of the power supply fan.
    One or more connectors for floppy drives and similar devices.
    A number (3? 4? 5? 6?) of 4-pin connectors for disk drives, CD-ROM drives and
    the like.
    A reputation for reliability (e.g. Antec, PC Power & Cooling, Delta, Liteon) to
    go with an accurate specification of power supply wattage.
    An optional on-off rocker switch on the back of the power supply.

    I can't think of anything else in the way of features or essential functions.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:24:41 -0600, craigm <none@domain.invalid> wrote:

    >w_tom wrote:
    >
    >> More watts does not mean higher quality. Once a supply
    >> provides sufficient wattage, then additional watts provide
    >> nothing useful. But manufacturers will hype watts so they
    >> need not include those other essential functions.
    >>

    >Just what features are you talking about? Are these things that go
    >beyond the specification for an ATX supply?
    >
    >craigm
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    Thomas Collins Jr:

    > I ordered a Coolergiant, 380W ATX Power Supply from Cyberguys.com

    Supposed to be an excellent quality PSU, should last you for a while. I
    hate to tell you though that Zipzoomfly has them for $68 shipped.

    --
    Mac Cool
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    Just a short list of functions that every power supply must
    include and that can be 'forgotten' in discounted supplies:
    Acoustics noise 25.8dBA typical at 70w, 30cm
    Short circuit protection on all outputs
    Over voltage protection
    Over power protection
    100% hi-pot test
    100% burn in, high temperature cycled on/off
    PFC harmonics compliance: EN61000-3-2 + A1 + A2
    EMI/RFI compliance: CE, CISPR22 & FCC part 15 class B
    Safety compliance: VDE, TUV, D, N, S, Fi, UL, C-UL & CB
    Hold up time, full load: 16ms. typical
    Efficiency; 100-120VAC and full range: >65%
    Dielectric withstand, input to frame/ground: 1800VAC, 1sec.
    Dielectric withstand, input to output: 1800VAC, 1sec.
    Ripple/noise: 1%
    MTBF, full load @ 25°C amb.: >100k hrs
    Many of these functions are also required by ATX specs but are
    often missing is 'so called' ATX power supplies. Good reason
    to not provide any numerical specs. How to get the price
    below $40? Just forget to include some functions. Most
    computer assemblers would never know the difference.

    What's in your power supply?

    craigm wrote:
    > Just what features are you talking about? Are these things that
    > go beyond the specification for an ATX supply?
    >
    > craigm
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    wrote:

    >w_tom wrote:
    >
    >> More watts does not mean higher quality. Once a supply
    >> provides sufficient wattage, then additional watts provide
    >> nothing useful. But manufacturers will hype watts so they
    >> need not include those other essential functions.
    >>

    >Just what features are you talking about? Are these things that go
    >beyond the specification for an ATX supply?
    >
    >craigm

    As a quick non scientific check: lift a cheapie and a QUALITY one. The
    differance is most likly more and probably parts. nuf said.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    Those certainly are useful functions in an ATX power supply. Except for the
    well-known name brands, it's like getting a root canal to find out this level of
    detailed information from a manufacturer of power supplies. And in a name-brand
    computer? Forget about it. All one can do with a name brand computer is to
    take on faith that the name brand stands for some level of product quality with
    full compliance to industry standards... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:03:05 -0500, w_tom <w_tom1@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Just a short list of functions that every power supply must
    >include and that can be 'forgotten' in discounted supplies:
    > Acoustics noise 25.8dBA typical at 70w, 30cm
    > Short circuit protection on all outputs
    > Over voltage protection
    > Over power protection
    > 100% hi-pot test
    > 100% burn in, high temperature cycled on/off
    > PFC harmonics compliance: EN61000-3-2 + A1 + A2
    > EMI/RFI compliance: CE, CISPR22 & FCC part 15 class B
    > Safety compliance: VDE, TUV, D, N, S, Fi, UL, C-UL & CB
    > Hold up time, full load: 16ms. typical
    > Efficiency; 100-120VAC and full range: >65%
    > Dielectric withstand, input to frame/ground: 1800VAC, 1sec.
    > Dielectric withstand, input to output: 1800VAC, 1sec.
    > Ripple/noise: 1%
    > MTBF, full load @ 25°C amb.: >100k hrs
    >Many of these functions are also required by ATX specs but are
    >often missing is 'so called' ATX power supplies. Good reason
    >to not provide any numerical specs. How to get the price
    >below $40? Just forget to include some functions. Most
    >computer assemblers would never know the difference.
    >
    > What's in your power supply?
    >
    >craigm wrote:
    >> Just what features are you talking about? Are these things that
    >> go beyond the specification for an ATX supply?
    >>
    >> craigm
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    Brand name computers routinely include those power supply
    functions in their products. BTW, those posted spec numbers
    are directly from specification sheet provided by one power
    supply manufacturer.

    Yes specs are difficult to obtain in America because so many
    computer assemblers don't even have basic electrical
    knowledge. IOW Asian manufacturers have discovered a
    profitable well of ignorance. Dumping inferior supplies into
    North America is extremely profitable where eyes glaze over as
    soon as numbers appear. Asia manufacturers cannot do same to
    brand name computer manufacturers who use educated computer
    designers.

    One reason why so many power supply vendors will not provide
    numerical specs? Their products don't meet those industry
    standards. Even one replacement power supply sold by CompUSA
    was defective. No problem. Those who demand quality are not
    their market.

    Does a power supply failure damage motherboard and disk
    drive? Often heard in newsgroups. What that poster never
    learned? A power supply with those necessary functions does
    not damage rest of computer. Even during a complete power
    supply failure - no damage. A missing function because the
    human failed to first demand specs. Instead he blames damage
    on power supply. Go figure.

    Only one percent of consumers know what all those numbers
    really say. But that one percent cannot blow the whistle if
    numbers are not provided. One need not be an electrical
    expert to select a good supply. No long list of numbers?
    Then suspect the worst. There are too many responsible power
    supply manufacturers out there to be 'bean counting' a scam
    supply.

    No numbers provided? Unfortunately too many computer
    assemblers are bean counters. Only numbers these MBA types
    seek are watts and price. They foolishly associate more watts
    with higher quality. That is the joke in Tim Allen's "Home
    Improvement". More power. These bean counter types never
    understood the joke.

    Worse, often an inferior supply does not output those watts.
    No problem. They are marketing to computer assemblers with a
    bean counter mentality. How common is the problem? Notice
    how many power supplies don't provide the numerical
    specifications. They are marketing to the so many computer
    assemblers who don't even have basic electrical knowledge.

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Those certainly are useful functions in an ATX power supply. Except
    > for the well-known name brands, it's like getting a root canal to
    > find out this level of detailed information from a manufacturer of
    > power supplies. And in a name-brand computer? Forget about it.
    > All one can do with a name brand computer is to take on faith that
    > the name brand stands for some level of product quality with
    > full compliance to industry standards... Ben Myers
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    usually there standard, and some come with an adapter for certain types of
    motherboards power connections. so it shouldn't be a problem for you to
    hook up.and if you can go with at least a 400 plus power supply. but if you
    have already bought it. well then you will eventually more than likely need
    more, and if you decide to upgrade.
    "Thomas Collins Jr" <tom041652@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > My computer is:
    >
    > HP Pavilion 8710 (Configurable)
    > Serial Number US04954376
    > Purchase Date 12/01/2000
    > System # D7205U
    > Support ID: 03-7205-U000-0495-4376
    > MOBO: ASUS MEW-AM Rev 2.01 (FC-PGA 370 Socket)
    > 512MB SDRAM, 810e Chipset, Celeron 667
    >
    > I am buying the upgrade CPU kit from Stratton Computer to go to a
    > Celeron 1.3GHz. I also have order a Plextor 612A DVD±R/W Drive.
    > Installed already is a Plextor CDR/RW drive which I am leaving in and
    > pulling out the HP Colorado 4/8GB Tape Drive.
    >
    > My question is, there is no markings on the Power Supply as to the
    > supplied Wattage. So I want to replace it with a 350W supply. But, I
    > have no idea if these power supplies are standard plugins or not? Do
    > I buy a ATX and it will fit and have the proper connections?
    >
    > I have sent two messages to HP Support over the past two weeks with no
    > reply. Any help on buying a PS replacement would be appreciated.
    >

    > Thanks & Regards,
    > Tom
    > HP Pavilion 8710 Configurable
    > MoBo ASUS MEW-AM Rev. 2.01
    > Intel 810e Chipset
    > Celeron 667
    > 512MB
    > 250GBHD (Windows 2000/SP4), 40GB (RedHat Linux)
  16. try coolermaster 750w..that wil be better

Hewlett Packard Power Supplies Computers