Same Windows XP on two machines?

Nitrom

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
Is it posible to install the same Windows Xp on two computers for home use?...or need a special license from Microsoft? do they charge for that?...

In my case only one machine will function at a time.

schulte

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2003
I'm not sure exactly how the EULA is worded, but I think you can use it on 2 computers assuming they're both yours.

Call microsoft... they'll be happy to help you. They dont have the Uuber-Secret Nazi SS Anti-Piracy Police go after people just for asking them... ive found them to be very helpfull for licencing issues. 1 800 microsf

RichPLS

Champion
Legally you can use same install CD, but you have to buy a license for each computer intalled on.
Of course, you can install anyway, and just call them requesting another Key since you upgraded to get around this, but not legal.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Of course it is if you have the Corperate Version for it wont ask you to activate the OS however its not legeal for M$ wants you pay a liscence for each computer.

Any other versions have a specific act key and once used, cannot use it again on another machince. People do contact M$ for another key since something a comp upgrade will cause the need to get a new one but they hammer the hell out of you to make sure you are not cheating the system.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

sh1ft3d

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2004
I don't entirely understand how this works...

Because I have Microsoft XP Pro installed on at least 10 machines now (home PC 1, home PC 2, laptop, friend's PC, work laptop), and I haven't ran into any issues with it saying (after acquiring an Internet connection following an install) that the key is in use or whatever. How is Microsoft enforcing this?

Also, I'm considering starting a small little side job building computers for people and will need to know exactly how this works. For those that do build computers for other people do you just charge them another $100 for XP?

--------------------------------------------
In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
It sounds like you are using a pirated corporate edition CD. Not that I care... Nor do I want to start a discussion about the morality of copywrite infringement.

However

Microsoft will soon start checking for pirated copies whenever you use windows update. Microsoft won't anything to infringer's other than tell then their copy is not legal and that they can't use the service.

The goal isn't to cripple pirated copies of windows, automatic updates will still work and you can always download the patches from a legal machine.

The goal is to make sure everyone with an illegal copy knows they have an illegal copy.

This means than anyone who buys a computer with a pirated copy of XP will know it. They will also proabaly be offerd a free legal copy of XP for turning in the person who sold them the PC.

In fact anyone can pretty much turn any business in for using/selling pirated software and receive a cut of the damages awarded when the BSA sues the crap out of them.

They have gone after high schools who honestly didn't know the students installed photoshop on more PC's than they had licenses. If they sued a financially troubled school district for $150,000 they would go after you in a hearbeat.

Buy an OEM (much cheaper than retail) copy of Windows XP for each PC you install it on. Make sure you install using the CD key from the certificate.

If you customers don't want to pay $100-150 for it, give them linux instead and let them no if they want to pirate software your business won't help or encourage them.

Or you could just hope none of your customers feel like making some cash at your expense.