Dualtyan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2005
Had a problem a few weeks ago where I heard some strange sounds eminating from my computer. So I changed the supply and the motherboard after some discussion.
With the new motherboard and supply, the computer powered up but no signal was sent to the monitor. I was unable to power off or reset by the front, so I hit the kill switch on the supply in the back. The computer will no longer power up.

I wanted to avoid sending my machine in for diagnostics, but after replacing the motherboard and still encountering this problem, it looks like I have no choice. Has anyone ever heard of this problem?

DT

endyen

Splendid
Lots of times, usually a bad pci device. Your best bet is to try for a minimal boot.
First thing to do is to reset the bios.
After that, take the mobo out of the case, along with the psu Set up the mobo with only power, cpu, hsf, one dimm of ram.
With the psu switch in the off position, put a jumper on the front switch header. Turn the psu on, count to 2, then pull the jumper off. Cpu fan whirling nicely? Put the jumper back on, and count to 20. Did everything shut down nicely? Try with the graphics card next.Hook it up to the monitor, and see if you have a signal. ( again turn the psu on, count to 2, and pull the jumper). Got signal, then see if you can shut down by putting the jumper back on. Next, try with the keyboard. Same steps. Add one thing at a time. Once you have tested everything, put it back in the case, and start all over again.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes. This normally happens when the CPU is incorrectly installed, dead, or not recognised by the motherboard. It also happens when you fail to connect the ATX12v connector, which is a 4-pin square plug that looks like a shortened ATX plug.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>