Sign in with
Your question

Are downloaded games faster or slower?

Last response: in Video Games
September 3, 2010 8:35:17 AM

Hi,

Have just seen that game now let you download games for cheaper than buying the cd version.

Can i ask, how do games played from the hard drive compare to games that use cd/dvd's when lookig at performance?

Thanks
September 3, 2010 9:07:21 AM

Mr. fredted40x, when you buy a game that comes in a CD/DVD, you'll have to install the game on your hard drive in order to play it, also, you'll need the disc inserted in the Drive, so the game will recognize that it is not a copy and that you really have the game.

When you buy a downloadable game, the game is installed on you hard drive too.
There's no difference between a game played with the disc inserted in the Drive, than a game that you bought and downloaded, both games run from the hard drive and the performance is going to be exactly the same.

If you want to save some money, then you can buy downloadable games and back them up inside your hard drive, but if you prefer to have the physical disc, you can buy the CD/DVD version of the game.

So if you want a straight answer to your question, my reply would be: you'll get the same performance between a disc game and a downloaded game, because they both are installed on your hard drive and they are exactly the same game.

Nice day.
September 3, 2010 9:09:58 AM

Thank you Xtrastor, will save some money and get the downloaded version.
Related resources
September 3, 2010 10:53:23 AM

Good idea-
September 6, 2010 12:24:50 PM

Agreed.................
September 7, 2010 7:20:46 AM

Its cheaper to buy it online and download they dont charge tax and you dont have to wait in long lines on midnight releases. (Steam)
September 8, 2010 12:24:13 AM

I'm "old fashion", I prefer to own the actual physical disk. However www.Gog.com has some nice old games that I don't mind paying for a download...
September 8, 2010 11:28:46 AM

The only thing that will be slower is the waiting while you download the game, depending on your connection speed. Whereas, if you had the physical CD/DVD, then you just pop it in and install. No wait on the download.

Of course, the wait to me is worth it. Saves me gas going to and from the store to get the game. Plus, I don't have to worry about Steam, Direct2Drive or GOG not having the game available because they sold out! Plus, I buy when they have a great sale (which is often) that beats ANY store price.

September 8, 2010 1:02:27 PM

steam has some amazing sales (esp. around the holidays and summer). the only down side is it might take a couple hours to download, but once installed you won't be able to tell any difference between a downloaded version and a cd/dvd version
September 8, 2010 1:59:43 PM

jefe323 said:
steam has some amazing sales (esp. around the holidays and summer). the only down side is it might take a couple hours to download, but once installed you won't be able to tell any difference between a downloaded version and a cd/dvd version

And, unlike a DVD copy, you can't lose the install medium. All of your games are tied to your account, not your machine. Therefore, if you get a new machine, either backup the apps directory for steam or just reinstall steam on your new machine and redownload your games and you're good to go!
September 8, 2010 10:49:27 PM

Also the games downloaded don't require a disc.
September 9, 2010 4:00:26 PM

Atotalnoob said:
Also the games downloaded don't require a disc.

I think the OP is aware of that ground breaking factoid.
September 12, 2010 9:19:28 AM

Just adding that, no one said itz!
September 12, 2010 3:06:37 PM

Atotalnoob said:
Just adding that, no one said itz!

I suggest you re read the previous posts.
September 13, 2010 6:27:35 AM

isamuelson said:
And, unlike a DVD copy, you can't lose the install medium. All of your games are tied to your account, not your machine.

OTOH Valve can ban your account at any time and then you lose all your games. This is why I prefer to buy from Gog.com when a game is available on both, and I now avoid buying older games from Steam on the assumption that many of them will turn up on Gog.com sooner or later.
September 13, 2010 11:53:34 AM

MarkG said:
OTOH Valve can ban your account at any time and then you lose all your games. This is why I prefer to buy from Gog.com when a game is available on both, and I now avoid buying older games from Steam on the assumption that many of them will turn up on Gog.com sooner or later.

Most of the time, that's due to people violating the rules. The one difference in that is with a patch that was sent out that caused an issue. It was an inconvenience, but eventually everyone was fixed. Those that didn't probably had broken the rules.

But, I do like GOG as well, but they only release old games. There is also Direct2Drive which has unlimited downloads as well, but they still have activation which can be a pain. At least with Steam, it's tied to your account, not your PC, and that's what I love about it.
September 20, 2010 3:36:39 AM

Mousemonkey said:
I suggest you re read the previous posts.

D,=
!