Search for driver NowiresNeeded Accesspoint

Hello,

I borrowed a NowiresNeeded Accespoint from a friend but without a
driver. I was wondering if someone might have this driver since the
website of the manufacturer is offline and the AP can't be configured
via web-interface.

Thanks,
Sander.
13 answers Last reply
More about search driver nowiresneeded accesspoint
  1. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

    "Sander" <teddy_p(nospamhere)@planet.nl> wrote in message
    [Original titel "Search for driver NowiresNeeded Accesspoint"]

    > I borrowed a NowiresNeeded Accespoint from a friend but without a
    > driver. I was wondering if someone might have this driver since the
    > website of the manufacturer is offline and the AP can't be configured
    > via web-interface.

    This is not the first time product support evaporates in less than three
    years after product introduction.

    NoWires Needed was started in Bilthoven, The Netherlandsin 1994.
    "No Wires Needed (NWN) is a leader in high-speed, IEEE 802.11-based
    wireless LAN technology and products NWN is the first vendor to ship an
    11 Mbps WLAN product that implements all IEEE 802.11 mandatory
    features including WEP security."
    http://wiki.uni-konstanz.de/wiki/bin/view/Wireless/NoWiresNeeded

    The company was sold to Intersil in 2000:
    "NoWires Needed is an OEM provider of wireless equipment for several of
    the LAN wireless vendors, including BreezeCom and Compaq."
    "During the course of our tests, the company was purchased by Intersil
    (the company that makes the Prism chipset)."
    http://www.nwc.com/1113/1113f24.html?ls=NCJS_1113bt

    Intersil was the maker of the PRISM® WLAN chip set:
    (Used also in NoWires Needed products)
    http://www.intersil.com/cda/products/?pageid=39

    In August 2003 Intersil sold of their Wireless product group:
    "Intersil Corporation (NASDAQ: ISIL), a world leader in the design and
    manufacture of high performance analog solutions, announced today that
    it has completed the sale of its Wireless Networking Product Group to
    GlobespanVirata, Inc. (NASDAQ: GSPN)."
    http://www.intersil.com/pr/shell/0,1091,1063,00.html

    On March 1, 2004 GlobespanVirata, Inc merged with Conexant Systems, Inc:
    http://www.emweb.com/
    - Press release:
    - http://www.conexant.com/news_events/news_files/03012004-1.html
    - WiFi Planet news story:
    - http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/news/article.php/3103221

    The Conexant web site offers support only to "registered customers".
    I do not think you will find anything there even if you register:
    http://www.conexant.com/

    ***

    The NoWires Needed "Parrot 1100" 11Mbps access point was also sold as the
    Compaq WL400:
    "Compaq's access point is a NoWires Needed OEM product. The access point
    is manageable only via the NoWires Needed management software, which--as
    we mention below--isn't particularly user friendly."
    http://www.nwc.com/1113/1113f24.html?ls=NCJS_1113bt

    Directron.com sells the Compaq WL400 access point for US $59.99:
    http://www.directron.com/wl400.html (See picture)

    Management software is available on the HP web site:
    "This SoftPaq contains the AP Manager for the Compaq WL 400 Hardware
    Access Point, as well as a firmware upgrade."
    http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/wlan/us/download/18064.html

    You may also find the software here:
    http://www.treiberupdate.de/treiber-download/download.php?load=13487

    ***

    The management software only runs under MS Windows (98 - 2000).
    In theory it should be possible to manage the access point through SNMP.
    (This is what the software in fact does.)

    ***

    I year ago I bought some Compaq WL400 access points on eBay for about US $29
    each. The best thing about this access point is that it has two external
    antenna connectors, both are standard SMA connectors! (Nor reverse polarity
    or threaded.) Otherwise the mechanics are good, as you would expect from a
    device with an original price of $899.

    Last year I found software and information on the NoWires Needed and
    Intersil web sites. ( http://www.nwn.com/ http://www.nowiresneeded.com/ )
    As you mentioned, the sites are now down.

    I did some experimenting with the different firmware versions. The Parrot
    1100 and Compaq WL400 firmwares and management software seem to be
    interchangable.

    NoWires Needed sold the Parrot 1100 with three other firmware versions:
    - Bridge master (for connecting two Ethernet networks)
    - Bridge client -"-
    - Client bridge (for connecting a printer etc.)

    All four devices seem to have the same hardware. Only the color of the case
    differs.

    I tried to install the bridge firmware on the Compaq WL400. The bridge
    client firmware would not install. I did manage to install the bridge master
    firmware, but in fact this seemed to be the same as the access point.

    ***

    One problem with the Compaq WL400 access point is that there seems to be no
    way of controlling the output power. I would like to use the access point
    outside with strong directional antennas. In Europe this requires that the
    output power is tuned down.

    There seems to be a firmware version floating around which increases the
    output power. This is of cause of no use in my case.
    http://www.wireless-chat.net/internet/COMPAQ_WL400_and_output_power_82256.html

    ***

    NoWires Needed also released another 11Mbps access point, the Parrot 1148.
    I do not know if this was ever sold anywhere. I have a copy of the
    accompanying CD-ROM (.zip file, 7497kB)

    [Added copy to news:comp.sys.hp.hardware followups to

    --
    Petri Krohn
    petri. krohn <a@t> iki. FI(nland)

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 00:23:25 +0300, "Petri Krohn"
    <petri.krohn@iki.fi-n-l-a-n-d.invalid> wrote:

    >NoWires Needed also released another 11Mbps access point, the Parrot 1148.
    >I do not know if this was ever sold anywhere. I have a copy of the
    >accompanying CD-ROM (.zip file, 7497kB)
    >

    >[Added copy to news:comp.sys.hp.hardware followups to

    Hello,

    Thanks for your reply. I tried the management software for the WL400
    but that unfortunately didn't work.
    I also emailed intersil and they also told me it was taken over by
    conexant. But there is no means of contacting them (conexant) via the
    web. Only some phone numbers.

    I could use that CD-ROM, just to see if it'll work.

    http://www.studiored.com/PORTFOLIO/Computer/Consumer/NoWiresNeeded_AP/nowiresneeded_ap.html
    This is the AP I mean.

    Thank,
    Sander.

    > http://www.studiored.com/PORTFOLIO/Computer/Consumer/NoWiresNeeded_AP/n
    > owiresneeded_ap.html

    Hi Sander,

    This D-Link AP looks oddly almost exactly like the one you posted the link
    to:

    http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DWL-1000AP

    The page I found it on was complaining about it's lack of a web-based
    interface also. It's worth a shot, there's d/l's at that link including
    firmware upgrade's with 128-bit WEP.

    Let us know.

    Regards,

    DanS

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:32:26 -0500, DanS
    <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a..n.e.t> wrote:

    >http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DWL-1000AP
    >
    >The page I found it on was complaining about it's lack of a web-based
    >interface also. It's worth a shot, there's d/l's at that link including
    >firmware upgrade's with 128-bit WEP.

    It looks a lot like the one I have only in grey. I used the AP
    management software but it didn't work. TOmorrow I'll try the other
    links on the page. It looks hopefull and I hope it will be.

    I'll let you know if it works.

    Thank already and if someone has more tips I'll be gladly to receive
    them.

    Sander

    > On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:32:26 -0500, DanS
    ><t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a..n.e.t> wrote:
    >

    >>http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DWL-1000AP
    >>
    >>The page I found it on was complaining about it's lack of a web-based
    >>interface also. It's worth a shot, there's d/l's at that link including
    >>firmware upgrade's with 128-bit WEP.
    >
    > It looks a lot like the one I have only in grey. I used the AP
    > management software but it didn't work. TOmorrow I'll try the other
    > links on the page. It looks hopefull and I hope it will be.
    >
    > I'll let you know if it works.
    >
    > Thank already and if someone has more tips I'll be gladly to receive
    > them.
    >
    > Sander

    Well when you say it doesn't work, does that mean that it can't see any
    AP on the network ?

    And this might be a stupid question, but you are connected thru a cable
    when trying to configure correct ?

    DanS

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 20:43:39 -0500, DanS
    <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a..n.e.t> wrote:

    >Well when you say it doesn't work, does that mean that it can't see any
    >AP on the network ?
    >
    >And this might be a stupid question, but you are connected thru a cable
    >when trying to configure correct ?
    >
    >DanS

    It can't see any AP on the network and yes I am trying to connect to
    the AP thru a cable. I even know what IP the AP has because it's
    assigned by my router.

    Sander.

    "Sander" <teddy_p(nospamhere)@planet.nl> kirjoitti viestissä

    > This is the AP I mean.
    http://www.studiored.com/PORTFOLIO/Computer/Consumer/NoWiresNeeded_AP/nowiresneeded_ap.html

    This looks just like the access point I called "Parrot 1148". The manual
    only refers to it as "11 Mbps WLAN Access Point", but the .zip file is named
    "1148apcdrom.zip" so I guess this is the Parrot 1148.

    > Thanks for your reply. I tried the management software for the WL400
    > but that unfortunately didn't work.

    Here is a quote from the manual:
    4.10 Compatibility
    "The APCenter utility version 3.0.x is compatible with the NoWires Needed
    11 Mbps WLAN Access Points and the series 1100 Parrot Access Point.
    The 11 Mbps WLAN Access Point is also compatible with the Swallow 1100
    series, for AirLock, however, the Swallow 1100 requires an upgrade.
    The 1100 Parrot Access Point also requires an AirLock upgrade in order
    to work with an 11Mbps WLAN PC Card."

    Compatibility should work the other way around. You could manage the Compaq
    WL400 with APCenter version 3.

    NoWires Needed and Compaq software do not work together with the default
    settings. The Compaq version of the management software asumes the the
    access points use the SNMP community string "COMPAQ".
    On NoWires Needed APs the default community strings are "public" for reading
    and "private" for writing.

    > I could use that CD-ROM, just to see if it'll work.

    The CD-ROM .zip file is too large to send by email (7,5MB).
    If you can provide an FTP site I will upload it.

    --
    Petri Krohn
    petri. krohn <a@t> iki. FI(nland)
    Fiber-optic Community Networking: http://www.HelsinkiOpen.net

    >> I could use that CD-ROM, just to see if it'll work.
    >
    >The CD-ROM .zip file is too large to send by email (7,5MB).
    >If you can provide an FTP site I will upload it.

    Thanks for mailing a cut down version it works great. I think I'll put
    it up on the Internet for other people to find it.

    Thanks again for the help.

    Sander

    Hi,

    I also have a parrot 1100 and can't find the managment software
    anywhere on the net. Could you please tell me where I can get it?

    Thanks

    --
    mens

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:16:52 GMT, mens
    <mens.1g1iuy@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I also have a parrot 1100 and can't find the managment software
    >anywhere on the net. Could you please tell me where I can get it?
    >
    >Thanks

    I got it from someone else. It's at http://members.lycos.nl/skaldenho

    Sander.

    Hp WL400 need a fix or repair solution 4203 that I cannot get back
    because WL400 is obsolete. I tried to call HP but difficult to get in
    touch with a special
    fix file:
    for reference :
    http://tinyurl.com/65do6

    How can I get that exe file, and MIB file too

    - Run SNWNMGR.EXE.
    - Click *File*, then *Connect to Remote Host*, enter IP address of
    AP, enter the Read Community String (COMPAQ is default), enter the
    Write Community String (COMPAQ is default).
    - Select *File*, the *Open* and choose the CompaqWL400HAPMIB file
    (part of the attached ZIP).

    --
    aladin

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00213348

    > How can I get that exe file, and MIB file too

    > - Run SNWNMGR.EXE.

    The SNWNMGR seems to be a generic SNMP client program. You could use any
    similar SNMP program.

    The CompaqWL400HAPMIB is a MIB file. This only seems to be available as part
    of the .zip file.

    --
    Petri Krohn
    petri. krohn <a@t> iki. FI(nland)
    Fiber-optic Community Networking: http://www.HelsinkiOpen.net
  13. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Perfect but how to download that zip. HP has erase the file
    So I am in contact to get that fix. It is not easy

    --
    aladin

Wireless Internet Wireless Networking