Sign in with
Your question

Mafia II - Too early or is there any problem with my rig???

Last response: in Video Games
September 5, 2010 6:10:58 PM

I just installed Mafia II to test run my new EVGA nVidia GTX 480 and found its little disappointing. And I went through several forums and leaned that it needs a additional GPU to calculate new cloth physX system that is included in the game. Is this thing applies to GTX 480 too? I mean, Do GTX 480 also needs a nother GPU to calculate Mafia II's new Clothing System? or is there an Unusual performance drop in my PC?

My PC:
PC Wizard 2010 Version 1.952
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Owner: Microsoft
Organisation: Microsoft
User:
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate Professional Media Center 6.01.7600
Report Date: Sunday 05 September 2010at22:55

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< System Summary >>>
> Mainboard : Intel DX58SO
> Chipset : Intel X58
> Processor : Intel Core i7 920 @ 2666MHz
> Physical Memory : 8192MB (4 x 2048 DDR3-SDRAM )
> Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480
> Hard Disk : Hitachi HDP725050GLA360 ATA Device (500GB)
> Hard Disk : Hitachi HDP725050GLA360 ATA Device (500GB)
> CD-Rom Drive : HUAWEI Mass Storage
> DVD-Rom Drive : Toshiba-Samsung CDDVDW SH-S223C
> DVD-Rom Drive : UTA UFO5QJG
> Monitor Type : ViewSonic VA1916wSERIES - 19 inches
> Network Card : Intel 82567LM-2 Gigabit Network Connection
> Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate Professional Media Center 6.01.7600 (64-bit)
> DirectX : Version 11.00
> Windows Performance Index : 5.9 on 7.9

***** End of report *****

These are my settings and their benchmark results.. I basically played with the physX setting and antialising..

Setup 1

Result

Setup 2

Result

Setup 3

Result
September 5, 2010 7:35:06 PM

Quote:
Yes that applies to gtx480 also.

Bro.. so, is this low FPS in my system.. is it normal?
m
l
September 6, 2010 2:06:37 PM

Quote:
Your cpu is bottlenecking ur card at that res.Overclock ur cpu or up the res.2k recommends a gtx 285 as physx card with gtx 480 for apex phsx high.So ur flps are normal.

Can you explain bottlenecking a bit mate? I mean, how it happens and how to get rid of it..
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 6, 2010 6:05:57 PM

Quote:
It happens when cpu is slower than gpu.At low res games are cpu dependent so even if ur gpu is fast the game slow down becoz it has to wait for the slow cpu to deliver the frame.At high res gpu takes over and bottlenecking is eliminated.If u rise the res ur framerate will remain same or it can even rise depending upon game.

So if I overclock my CPU, for what extent it will be enough? Here, the environment is about 32C normally. And my Processors Idle in 70C~. And I don't have a water cooling system or special Heat absorbing setup installed to overclock. My processor just have that default somewhat big fan of its to get cooled. So is it safe to overclock mate? if so, to what extent?
m
l
September 6, 2010 6:39:39 PM

Quote:
What ur load temp?Run prime95

It circles around 91C- 96C mate.. Here is the results of the test :
m
l
September 6, 2010 6:58:19 PM

...um...thats not good at all if the temps are being read correctly...even i7's shouldn't get much above 80...

But yeah, PhysX adds a LOT of work on top of what is already being done; dynamic effects on multiple objects takes a LOT of resources, hence why its rarely done.
m
l
September 6, 2010 7:11:21 PM

Quote:
No overclocking for u.ur cpu is running too hot.bring that temp down to 78 to 80c.Reset the cooler or buy a new one. where do u live?

I live in Sri Lanka bro. Can you suggest me a good cooler for a good price?
m
l
September 6, 2010 7:20:24 PM

Quote:
First reseat the cooler.If that donot help buy coolermaster hyper 212 plus cooler.is ur house airconditioned?

Nope.. not air conditioned.. :| to reseat the cooler i must first get that heat transferring gel or something rite mate?
m
l
September 7, 2010 4:17:06 PM

Quote:
yes.

K.. after i fix this cooler, what are the steps i have to do mate?
m
l
September 27, 2010 7:33:46 AM

I understand your concern, that’s how I got to your post by searching Google. I have a GTX480 with i7 920 same as you and I get an average frame-rate of 30-32 with PhysX turned on.

Some say it might be something with our version of PhysX installed but tests point to the fact that mafia 2 favors PC’s with SLI configuration (WHY???!!!).

Performance is poor because Clothing simulation is running on CPU on a single graphics card configuration. How convenient is that to make you by a new card right? This is dirty marketing or bad engineering in my opinion :p 

Here are some details: http://physxinfo.com/news/3892/mafia-ii-is-not-using-gp....
I will try this guide when I get home: http://physxinfo.com/news/3628/mafia-ii-demo-tweaking-p...

Cheers!
m
l
September 27, 2010 1:34:08 PM

crhasher said:
I understand your concern, that’s how I got to your post by searching Google. I have a GTX480 with i7 920 same as you and I get an average frame-rate of 30-32 with PhysX turned on.

Some say it might be something with our version of PhysX installed but tests point to the fact that mafia 2 favors PC’s with SLI configuration (WHY???!!!).

Performance is poor because Clothing simulation is running on CPU on a single graphics card configuration. How convenient is that to make you by a new card right? This is dirty marketing or bad engineering in my opinion :p 

Here are some details: http://physxinfo.com/news/3892/mafia-ii-is-not-using-gp....
I will try this guide when I get home: http://physxinfo.com/news/3628/mafia-ii-demo-tweaking-p...

Cheers!

yes brother.. i mean, this is so depressing for users like us. collecting money for GTX 480, and after buying that, it was like "dream come true!!" but after that, finding some problem like this.. :( 
so nice to know someone with my config.. and ya.. its not the time for this type of game to come. I only need a good gameplay with decent graphics that can get the "cream" out of my PC. But this sux. and even the game play of mafia II is also very typical. No challenge at all. the story is also look so like godfather (but not that good). we are unlucky to see the game developers going the wrong way developing these kinds of games.
m
l
September 27, 2010 2:21:26 PM

Quote:
Hey alex do you get stuttering or tiny freezes while driving in game?

nope brother.. it shutters for the first few seconds of the game.. like 30 seconds or so. I did that trick to delete NPC character cloth files from APEX directory and set my physX level to high. But it dropped to 50 fps or so in big battles. then i change it to medium settings. now it works fine. though that lag for few seconds in the game start still exist. and ya.. there is a very small slight lag when entering lit up tunnels and when driving in night times some times.
m
l
!