antonvb

Distinguished
May 18, 2005
System Specifications

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
GA-K8NXP-SLI Motherboard
GV3DI (DUAL 9600 GT) PCI EXPRESS 16X graphics card
1 Gig Corsair Memory (512MBx2) (Inserted at DDR 1 and DDR 3), (but see no dual channel at start up)
(C512XMSLP Corsair XMS DDR400 Extra Low Latency DDR with LED)
1x Gigabyte DVD Rom is SLAVE on Cable Select (IDE2)
1x Gigabyte Dual DVD Rom is MASTER on Cable Select (IDE1)
1x Seagate ATA 7200rpm 40GB (on IDE1)
1x Seagate SATA 7200rpm 200GB (on red SATA cable at SATA 0 on Motherboard)
1x HDD Cooler for SATA HDD
Chenbro Gaming Case (300W PSU)

Problem 1:

At start up the Bios does not see SATA HDD, the manual says it will not and I understand.
In the RAID configuration utility, I created a RAID set at JBOD (Single) that is the only one I can use.
I had the option to change the RAID size, I chose all 186GB and it showed me:
Physical Drive 0 ST3200826AS 186Gb Logical drive SIL JBOD 186Gb

After I opened the RAID utility by Pressing F4 the Bios still does not see the SATA HDD in the Standard CMOS Feature.
Although at Advanced BIOS features at the HDD BOOT SEQUENCE it shows the SATA HDD as SCSI-0: 01:48-0
So I took it to nr.1 boot priority because a wanted to install Windows XP on the SATA HDD.
The SATA is already partitioned in another PC as I had the SATA HDD before the system that I have purchased.

The manual tells me to create a stiffy with MOBO CD and load SIL3114RS on stiffy. Done it

OK now I start set up with Windows XP Home Edition (No service pack), because the windows edition was purchased before SP1 of windows XP was released. Got SP2 on other disk.

When XP Set up starts I pressed F6 to install SCSI/RAID drivers.

Now windows set up gives me two options:
• Specify with device support disk press S
• And NO-NO
So I press S and get two options again:
• Silicon Image SIL3114 SOFTRAID5 controller for Win XP/Server 2003
• “ “ “ “ “ “ Win NT4.0 and Win 2000
I chose Controller for Windows XP and Pressed enter, AND ENTER AGAIN.

Set up now continues to copy files
Now I see all the HDD and the partition that I have created. (On SATA HDD as well)

I chose C: to install windows on my SATA HDD with a partition space of 15GB
I formatted the partition in NTFS TO BE SURE
Formatting on 190780MB Disk 0 at ID 0 and Bus 0 on SI3114 MBR
Formatting complete
Setup is copying files.
The Setup of Windows Freezes (green indicator stops running at bottom right of set up page, left for ½ hour still FREEZE)
Switched off PC and start again
Now windows set up freezes when it is searching for other previous versions of windows.
It keeps freezing at this point now every time.

SATA HDD is then disconnected from MOBO and started installation on 40GB HDD, its working 100%
SATA HDD is then removed and put in my 5 month old PC that I have, and the HDD is seen in the BIOS and works in windows

Problem 2:
In display properties, this 256mb 16XPCI express GV3D1 graphics card only shows 128MB in Windows, Bus shows PCI express x8

What do I do?

Windows is running on the ATA hard disk, but still I can feel that my old PC is faster
(At least till I sort all the wrongies out)

Please if you can assist me in any way
Thank you

Regards
Company name Mega gigtech
Contact Anton
082 442 2326
anton.vanbosch@sasol.com

antonvb

Distinguished
May 18, 2005
The reason i used that sil sata controller is because it is sata 1 (150mb/s)and the nforce 4 is sata 2 (300mb/s)and my HDD is sata 1 speed.

HansGruber

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
Since you have only 1 HDD for your SATA there is no point to use it as RAID.
Choose IDE mode from motherboard bios, it should be there.

This works for me, but i have promise onboard controller.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Disable the Silicon Image RAID controller. Plug the SATA drive into the nVidia SATA controller. Disable RAID mode for the nVidia controller, and you're done, all the drives show up in BIOS, and you don't need a driver floppy to load windows. Easy, no?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>