Switching? DO NOT PAY YOUR LAST BILL!

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

After a long argument with the CSR at the main VZW office, like a fool, I
paid my Verizon bill last month, in full as usual. I was told the payment
was for LAST month, not this, and another bill would show the 1 day usage
before I moved on to Alltel, the Monday after my contract was up.

MISTAKE------

This morning I get a bill showing a $31 and change CREDIT balance, because
I overpaid. NO CHECK, OF COURSE, JUST A CREDIT BALANCE. Called VZW's 800
number off the bill, finally got a TSR who told me it would be THREE TO
FOUR WEEKS before I got the check from Accts Payable.

If you're leaving Verizon, DO NOT PAY YOUR LAST BILL UNTIL YOU GET THE
SECOND BILLING STATEMENT SHOWING WHAT YOU REALLY OWE.... Just a head's up.
What they're telling you is BULLSHIT.
15 answers Last reply
More about switching bill
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    "Larry W4CSC" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
    news:Xns95557C433F207w4csc@63.223.5.244...
    > After a long argument with the CSR at the main VZW office, like a fool, I
    > paid my Verizon bill last month, in full as usual. I was told the payment
    > was for LAST month, not this, and another bill would show the 1 day usage
    > before I moved on to Alltel, the Monday after my contract was up.
    >
    > MISTAKE------
    >
    > This morning I get a bill showing a $31 and change CREDIT balance, because
    > I overpaid. NO CHECK, OF COURSE, JUST A CREDIT BALANCE. Called VZW's 800
    > number off the bill, finally got a TSR who told me it would be THREE TO
    > FOUR WEEKS before I got the check from Accts Payable.
    >
    > If you're leaving Verizon, DO NOT PAY YOUR LAST BILL UNTIL YOU GET THE
    > SECOND BILLING STATEMENT SHOWING WHAT YOU REALLY OWE.... Just a head's
    up.
    > What they're telling you is BULLSHIT.


    This is nothing new, spcs did this to me when I left them, for about 5
    months I kept receiving an invoice showing a credit balance, then on month 6
    I got a check.

    geoff
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Larry W4CSC wrote:

    > After a long argument with the CSR at the main VZW office, like a fool, I
    > paid my Verizon bill last month, in full as usual. I was told the payment
    > was for LAST month, not this, and another bill would show the 1 day usage
    > before I moved on to Alltel, the Monday after my contract was up.
    >
    > MISTAKE------
    >
    > This morning I get a bill showing a $31 and change CREDIT balance, because
    > I overpaid. NO CHECK, OF COURSE, JUST A CREDIT BALANCE. Called VZW's 800
    > number off the bill, finally got a TSR who told me it would be THREE TO
    > FOUR WEEKS before I got the check from Accts Payable.

    That's fine. I got told the same thing.

    It will *not* be longer than four weeks, or I'll have to call and start bugging
    them.

    However, I'm ok as long as I actually get the check within that timeframe.

    I generally figure a company that large will do check payments in batches. I'm
    not really in too much of a hurry to get my $19.82 sent back to me.

    > If you're leaving Verizon, DO NOT PAY YOUR LAST BILL UNTIL YOU GET THE
    > SECOND BILLING STATEMENT SHOWING WHAT YOU REALLY OWE.... Just a head's up.
    > What they're telling you is BULLSHIT.

    I don't think it's a big deal. Not for the small amount of money they owe me.

    YMMV.

    --
    JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
    PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
    Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
    news:cgvkia$qcm$2@ratbert.glorb.com...
    <snip>
    > I don't think it's a big deal. Not for the small amount of money they owe
    > me.
    >
    > YMMV.
    >
    > --
    > JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
    > Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
    > sjsobol@JustThe.net
    > PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
    > Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.

    If everyone thought of it that way the companies would be even richer. Look
    at it from a reverse perspective. In this day and age I pay most if not all
    my invoices electronically via the web or telephone. They get their payments
    in 1-2 days right out of my account. Now if you stop service or change
    providers the very same company will tell you that it takes 30-90 days to
    make your final invoice (Yeah right), the reason given is just in case you
    used long distance if you have long distance or not (Figure that one out),
    for wireless they speak of "Roaming Charges" and a few other things. If they
    can get their money in 2 days it should take that long to get it back. Now
    considering you already paid the invoice and are looking for a refund the
    company actually holds your money hostage. Hey they have it and now can drag
    their feet on giving it back. But your correct in that you should never let
    them get away with it and should bug the hell out of them to get it back.


    Elector
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Elector wrote:

    > If everyone thought of it that way the companies would be even richer.

    Whoa. I'm not saying "I don't care if they cut the check."

    > Look
    > at it from a reverse perspective. In this day and age I pay most if not all
    > my invoices electronically via the web or telephone. They get their payments
    > in 1-2 days right out of my account. Now if you stop service or change
    > providers the very same company will tell you that it takes 30-90 days to
    > make your final invoice (Yeah right),

    It IS stupid. I just don't care enough to argue that they should give it to me
    in 3-4 days instead of 3-4 weeks. They can't electronically debit my checking
    account, since they don't have my account info. And unless I'm missing
    something from having held several credit card merchant accounts over the past
    six years, they can't do a credit to my credit card without having a purchase
    to credit agains.

    > for wireless they speak of "Roaming Charges" and a few other things. If they
    > can get their money in 2 days it should take that long to get it back.

    Not in my case. Now, I don't think it'd be unreasonable to ask them to *mail a
    check* in 1-2 business days. But I'm not going to bother arguing with them.

    > considering you already paid the invoice and are looking for a refund the
    > company actually holds your money hostage. Hey they have it and now can drag
    > their feet on giving it back. But your correct in that you should never let
    > them get away with it and should bug the hell out of them to get it back.

    They made a promise, and I will hold them to it. If the money comes sooner,
    cool! If not, as long as it is still within the promised timeframe, I'm not
    going to worry about it.

    --
    JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
    PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
    Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:03:03 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
    wrote:

    >"Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
    >news:cgvkia$qcm$2@ratbert.glorb.com...
    ><snip>
    >> I don't think it's a big deal. Not for the small amount of money they owe
    >> me.
    >>

    <snip>

    >If everyone thought of it that way the companies would be even richer. Look
    >at it from a reverse perspective. In this day and age I pay most if not all

    Yeah, I never worry about credit balances. And I don't [usually] care
    if it takes a couple of months to get the refund. But yeah, these
    companies gamble that we the customers don't care. So they're making
    lots of interest on this.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    PaulAlex7000 wrote:

    > Yeah, I never worry about credit balances. And I don't [usually] care
    > if it takes a couple of months to get the refund. But yeah, these
    > companies gamble that we the customers don't care. So they're making
    > lots of interest on this.

    In aggregate, when you total up the credits due to all of their customers, yes.

    They owe me $19.82, though, and they won't make much interest on that amount of
    money in less than a month. :)

    --
    JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
    PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
    Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
    news:ch010j$sro$2@ratbert.glorb.com...
    > PaulAlex7000 wrote:
    >
    > > Yeah, I never worry about credit balances. And I don't [usually] care
    > > if it takes a couple of months to get the refund. But yeah, these
    > > companies gamble that we the customers don't care. So they're making
    > > lots of interest on this.
    >
    > In aggregate, when you total up the credits due to all of their customers,
    yes.
    >
    > They owe me $19.82, though, and they won't make much interest on that
    amount of
    > money in less than a month. :)
    >
    > --

    Makes me wonder how many months they would have to hold it before the
    interest equals the postage (and check cost, computer time, stuffing costs
    etc). postage alone is about 4 months... :)
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    In article <ch00v2$sro$1@ratbert.glorb.com>,
    Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:
    >Elector wrote:
    >> for wireless they speak of "Roaming Charges" and a few other things. If they
    >> can get their money in 2 days it should take that long to get it back.
    >
    >Not in my case. Now, I don't think it'd be unreasonable to ask them to *mail a
    >check* in 1-2 business days. But I'm not going to bother arguing with them.

    I think that the deal with "roaming" is that some (usually small) roaming
    partners will batch their bill to VZW for VZW phones roaming on them.
    VZW may not get the bill for a month or so, so VZW doesn't know until
    that long what your final bill will be.

    Of course, the counter-argument is that VZW knows if there are some
    outstanding roaming bills, since the roaming provider had to authenticate
    you when you placed or received calls on their system. It there are no
    outstanding roaming charges, then there is no reason to not settle
    your account immediately.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    CharlesH wrote:
    >
    > Of course, the counter-argument is that VZW knows if there are some
    > outstanding roaming bills, since the roaming provider had to
    > authenticate you when you placed or received calls on their system.
    > It there are no outstanding roaming charges, then there is no reason
    > to not settle your account immediately.

    Not exactly true? You will be authenticated simply by having your
    phone turned on in a roaming area. Many will be authenticated and
    not have any outstanding roaming bill(s). I imagine they have controlled
    access to the registries but do not track individual accesses. And it
    probably wouldn't be worth the overhead to differentiate those who
    had no lookups. ...Then what do you say to the customer that says
    "His got settled right away and I *know* I haven't made any roaming
    calls?". "We know you have been in a roaming area. We won't know
    if you made any calls for some time".

    -Quick
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    We've been told that it may be up to three billing cycles. So, 3-4 weeks
    sounds like a good deal. dr
    "Larry W4CSC" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
    news:Xns95557C433F207w4csc@63.223.5.244...
    > After a long argument with the CSR at the main VZW office, like a fool, I
    > paid my Verizon bill last month, in full as usual. I was told the payment
    > was for LAST month, not this, and another bill would show the 1 day usage
    > before I moved on to Alltel, the Monday after my contract was up.
    >
    > MISTAKE------
    >
    > This morning I get a bill showing a $31 and change CREDIT balance, because
    > I overpaid. NO CHECK, OF COURSE, JUST A CREDIT BALANCE. Called VZW's 800
    > number off the bill, finally got a TSR who told me it would be THREE TO
    > FOUR WEEKS before I got the check from Accts Payable.
    >
    > If you're leaving Verizon, DO NOT PAY YOUR LAST BILL UNTIL YOU GET THE
    > SECOND BILLING STATEMENT SHOWING WHAT YOU REALLY OWE.... Just a head's
    up.
    > What they're telling you is BULLSHIT.
    >
    >
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    "dr.wireMORE" <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote in
    news:ttVYc.9259$FV3.5418@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

    > We've been told that it may be up to three billing cycles. So, 3-4
    > weeks sounds like a good deal. dr

    By the end of the first month, I'll be in the office seeing what I can cart
    off to make up the money owed me....(c;
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    How much will the late fee be?


    Larry W4CSC wrote:

    > After a long argument with the CSR at the main VZW office, like a fool, I
    > paid my Verizon bill last month, in full as usual. I was told the payment
    > was for LAST month, not this, and another bill would show the 1 day usage
    > before I moved on to Alltel, the Monday after my contract was up.
    >
    > MISTAKE------
    >
    > This morning I get a bill showing a $31 and change CREDIT balance, because
    > I overpaid. NO CHECK, OF COURSE, JUST A CREDIT BALANCE. Called VZW's 800
    > number off the bill, finally got a TSR who told me it would be THREE TO
    > FOUR WEEKS before I got the check from Accts Payable.
    >
    > If you're leaving Verizon, DO NOT PAY YOUR LAST BILL UNTIL YOU GET THE
    > SECOND BILLING STATEMENT SHOWING WHAT YOU REALLY OWE.... Just a head's up.
    > What they're telling you is BULLSHIT.
    >
    >
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Jerome Zelinske wrote:
    > How much will the late fee be?
    >
    >
    > Larry W4CSC wrote:
    >
    >> After a long argument with the CSR at the main VZW office, like a fool, I
    >> paid my Verizon bill last month, in full as usual. I was told the payment
    >> was for LAST month, not this, and another bill would show the 1 day usage
    >> before I moved on to Alltel, the Monday after my contract was up.
    >>
    >> MISTAKE------
    >>
    >> This morning I get a bill showing a $31 and change CREDIT balance, because
    >> I overpaid. NO CHECK, OF COURSE, JUST A CREDIT BALANCE. Called VZW's 800
    >> number off the bill, finally got a TSR who told me it would be THREE TO
    >> FOUR WEEKS before I got the check from Accts Payable.
    >>
    >> If you're leaving Verizon, DO NOT PAY YOUR LAST BILL UNTIL YOU GET THE
    >> SECOND BILLING STATEMENT SHOWING WHAT YOU REALLY OWE.... Just a head's up.
    >> What they're telling you is BULLSHIT.
    >>
    >>

    Larry thinks the universe exists for his convenience. Flipping out
    because a huge corporation takes a couple of weeks to cut a $31 refund
    check is way over the top.


    --
    "There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in
    Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me -
    you can't get fooled again." -George W. Bush, Nashville, Tenn., Sept.
    17, 2002
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Elector wrote:

    > Bottom line is Steve the company can issue any credits it desires to.
    > Credit cards can be paid in full and you can still have a credit
    > posted to it.

    Sure, *as long as* the company has a prior purchase to credit against. I'm not
    talking about the bank itself. I'm talking about the automated systems used by
    merchants. No matter where I've worked, if I worked somewhere that took credit
    cards and had the authority to do credits, I'd always have to enter an original
    authorization code or invoice number.

    > And if you can pay instantly via your bank card or check card to these
    > companies then it should take just as long to get the refund. Seconds
    > not weeks or 3 months like the Dr. posted.

    In my case, it's possible that they *can't* do the credit because there was no
    prior charge to match it against. And I don't believe they have my checking
    account number.


    --
    JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
    PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
    Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    In article <1093914514.675980@sj-nntpcache-3>,
    Quick <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
    >CharlesH wrote:
    >>
    >> Of course, the counter-argument is that VZW knows if there are some
    >> outstanding roaming bills, since the roaming provider had to
    >> authenticate you when you placed or received calls on their system.
    >> It there are no outstanding roaming charges, then there is no reason
    >> to not settle your account immediately.
    >
    >Not exactly true? You will be authenticated simply by having your
    >phone turned on in a roaming area. Many will be authenticated and
    >not have any outstanding roaming bill(s). I imagine they have controlled
    >access to the registries but do not track individual accesses. And it
    >probably wouldn't be worth the overhead to differentiate those who
    >had no lookups. ...Then what do you say to the customer that says
    >"His got settled right away and I *know* I haven't made any roaming
    >calls?". "We know you have been in a roaming area. We won't know
    >if you made any calls for some time".

    Point taken. But I wonder what percentage of terminating customers
    have roamed in the last month or so of their service. If you haven't
    travelled recently you probably haven't been in a roaming area. But
    there is probably little incentive for them to determine this; just
    always use the same interval.
Ask a new question

Read More

Verizon Office Internet Service Providers