A8N-SLI Deluxe - three questions

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
I think two of these three questions have been asked elsewhere but I wanted some further clarification, so I'm asking them again. I hope that's fine :)
Anyways, here's the questions.

1) The chipset fan is pretty loud. Is there some sort of program that I could use to lower the fan speed? Or would I have to remove the fan completely? That would void the warranty so I rather not do that.
What happens if I just unplug it? How many degrees would it raise? Could it be ok even if I played games?

2) I use an Aspire 500W Power Supply with the motherboard, and I have the PSU connected to the EZ Plug as well. The system seems stable and so, is there any need to worry that I might experience some odd problems such as a decrease in AI in games or so? Or other problems not related to system stability?

3) Sometimes it seems that my Logitech Internet Navigator USB keyboard stops responding, and I have to unplug it and plug it in again to make it work, or simply restart the system. I know my keyboard has worked flawlessly before I switched motherboard. Is this some sort of known bug or could there be something wrong with either the keyboard or the USB port on the motherboard itself? I haven't tried to use the keyboard in another port of the motherboard so far.

Any help on these questions would be greatly appriciated.

My system: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ / Corsair 2Gb DDR400 / Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe / PowerColor Radeon X850XT / Aspire 500W PSU / Seagate Barracuda 120GB / Pioneer DVR-108

edcarman

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2004
Here're a couple of partial answers:
1.) I have tried using Speedfan to control the chipset fan speed and did not have much success - it can control the CPU and CHA1 fans, but it seems the chipset fan speed is not variable (even though the manual claims it is syncronised with the CPU fan)
2.) The manual seems to imply that the EZ Plug is necessary only if you are using two graphics cards in SLI mode. Otherwise system stability seems unaffected by its use.

Cheers
Ed

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
The chipset runs pretty hot...you'll probably notice that the chipset and the cpu are running about the same temps...that's not good heh; Since the cpu requires that the fan be on there (in most cases), you can assume the same for the chipset fan. You can overheat your chipset just as you can your cpu. You could get a different chipset hsf to make it quieter...but i wouldn't recommend trying to turn it down or take it off. You could try taking the finger protector off of it, sometimes the air running over that kind of thing causes a lot of noise (but usually only on fans like the <i>Tornado</i> or other high rpm fans).

If you do not plug in the EZ plug, the error you will get is that the gpu is underpowered so it is going to lower the gpu processor and memory speed. Which it does. I haven't seen it happen with an ATI card, but i have seen it happen with an NVIDIA card.

In regard to the usb issue...i don't know, i haven't had any problems with my usb slots so far. You might try to find if you have a conflict in your device manager during the period that the keyboard stops responding. To test to see if the usb spot is simply going bad, swap your keyboard and mouse.

Good Luck.

F@H:
AMD: [64 3000+][2500+][2000+ down][1.3x2][366]
Intel: [X 3.0x3][P4 3.0x2][P4 2.4x5 down][P4 1.4]

"...and i'm not gay" RX8 -Greatest Quote of ALL Time

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
re: chipset fan.

i have that board and the chipset fan is super silent! makes me think you might want to keep an eye on it dude, could be a dodge fan.

as for the rest, not familiar with the aspire PSU's but if it can deliver a stable 500W then you shouldn't have any issues.

as far as the usb k/b goes - mneh, no idea i'm afraid. sorry :)

TRENDING THREADS