P4 motherboard with EISA

Hello All,

I am looking at upgrading my system and was looking for P4 motherboards with EISA slots but I have not been able to find any. Do you know of any? Two slots would be great but one is doable.

Thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by robchow on 05/24/05 10:58 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
12 answers Last reply
More about motherboard eisa
  1. I think QDI had one. I believe their address is www.qdigroup.com or something like that. It's been a few years since I paid attention to that kind of product.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  2. Thanks. I will look into it.
  3. One ISA is for my Courier modem and the other is for my sound card. I can replace the sound card but I do want to keep the modem.
  4. What's so special about the modem?

Nothing is as easy as it looks
  5. Any half-decent P4 motherboard will come with fairly good built-in sound - usually at least 5.1 surround. I can't believe it won't be better than any ISA sound card.

Modems are hardly expensive too.

I've tried looking for P4 motherboards with ISA slots, but not much luck. The only ones I found were 'industrial' boards which cost huge amounts of money.

---
    <font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."
  6. A new mobo for an ISA soundcard and modem? Crazy!

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2765&st=0#entry21597" target="_new">My Rigs</A>
  7. Soundcard I agree with everyone else - no need because onboard sound is pretty good nowadays. But I'm betting your old Courier modem is one of the best around - cost over $200 when new sort of thing, right?

A new modem is 90% likely to be a 'winmodem' forcing the cpu to process, where this one is all done on the modem. In any case, cpus are so fast now that the overhead of software processing is minimal. But, there are remote uses that require hardware modems to work right. So... by looking carefully, for about $40 you can get a hardware modem similar to your courier (may even be able to get a USR Courier for that).

I don't think any new mobos are going to have ISA slots - PCI has been out too long. You'll have to go back to something about 4-5 years ago to find one.

Mike.
  8. d00d, USR's early HARDWARE PCI modems were called "winmodems" because they were plug and play. They still had all the hardware and buffers back then. Subsequent revisions of those modems have removed more and more features to replace them with CPU functions.

So if you go back far enough "winmodem" doesn't mean software modem, it could mean a full hardware modem that's configured in software.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  9. Quote:
    USR's early HARDWARE PCI modems were called "winmodems" because they were plug and play.

And all the software modem mfgs (rockwell chipsets usually) called them winmodems because they figured they could use that as a marketing ploy, and it worked... Besides, for no apparent reason (brain fart?) the word 'software' wouldn't raise itself to the top of my brain so I used the word that was correct for today's purposes. Anyways, this guy is talking about an ISA Courier - even earlier than the PCI one you're talking here.

Mike.
  10. I know, I've had ISA Couriers. I was just pointing out the similarity of USR's early PCI modems. You can find them in old computers and junk shops, which would provide him a similar solution to use in a PCI slot.

11. I know, I've had ISA Couriers. I was just pointing out the similarity of USR's early PCI modems. You can find them in old computers and junk shops, which would provide him a similar solution to use in a PCI slot.

12. I also have hardware and software controlled Rockwell PCI modems. Zoom makes some nice hardware based PCI modems as well.

Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Font