Solved

Starcraft 2 issues

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Starcraft 2
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
September 7, 2010 7:50:53 PM

I bought Starcraft 2 CE the day it came out, hoping that my system would run it. I was in the beta, and my computer played fine, but then the beta ended and I "upgraded" to a better video card. Now I can't even play sc2 with out constant video and sound stuttering. On occasion I get random pop noises through the sound. I have recently came across an older computer and was able to play SC2 fine, but at VERY low settings, and not able to play online with other people.

Current System specs:

Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz HT (Prescott S478)
2gb ram
Ati Radeon HD 4670 1gb GDDR3

Second system

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ @ 2.05ghz
1gb Ram
Ati Radeon HD 2600pro 512mb DDR2

edit: BOTH video cards are the AGP8x versions.

ALSO I have been talking to a Blizzard Support tech and this is what he had to say after doing everything possible. (He basically gave up and told me to spend money)

After thoroughly reviewing your system according to the msinfo and dxdiag you
sent, having you walkthrough several of our troubleshooting methods, and
consulting with our best technical genius - the end consensus is that you have
upgraded your video card to a level that your cpu cannot keep up with 'while'
running graphically intensive programs.

You stated your old graphics card worked alot better - so my recommendation is
that you either downgrade back to your previous graphics card - OR keep the
updated graphics card AND upgrade your cpu to at least an Intel Core 2. Keep in
mind the upgraded chipset may also mean you would have to upgrade your
motherboard in the process as well. Also, as with any major system upgrade you
must also ensure you maintain/update proper cooling methods for your system and
upgrade your power supply if necessary. In the end, the much cheaper method
would be to downgrade back to your old graphics card.

Regards,

Byron T.
Customer Services
Blizzard Entertainment
www.blizzard.com/support

More about : starcraft issues

September 7, 2010 8:22:43 PM

I got news, the tech support guy is right. A Pentium 4 is woefully obsolete at this stage (especially the Socket 478 varients that lack Hyperthreading), and a 4670 is about the lowest level card for gaming out there right now. Sure, SC2 may not be particulally demanding, but still requires a modern system in order to run.
m
l
September 7, 2010 8:38:13 PM

Can those systems even run SC1? Seriously though, those systems are dated and not just by gaming/enthusiast standards but by general computing standards. Netbooks have more power than that. So yeah, you'll have to spend some more $$ if you want to play SC2.
m
l
Related resources
September 8, 2010 12:26:52 PM

^^ Not really; his PC is significantly better then anything we have where I work, and I work at a multinational thats in the top 50 of the Fortune 500 for gods sake. The majority of PC's in America are still low-end Pentium 4's.
m
l
September 8, 2010 1:09:56 PM

gamerk316 said:
^^ Not really; his PC is significantly better then anything we have where I work, and I work at a multinational thats in the top 50 of the Fortune 500 for gods sake. The majority of PC's in America are still low-end Pentium 4's.

I highly doubt that. Granted my office PC is a P4, but I bet that even if you count such systems (office PCs versus home user PCs) that the majority are that old. Just think of the shear volume of computers sold since 2006 or so and all of those are going to be better than P4s. Regardless the point is that those specs are extremely dated in terms of gaming, to the point that there is no simple fix to it. An upgraded video card or a little more RAM isn't going to be enough and an upgraded CPU isn't really an option given the socket type. The OP really needs to get a whole new PC. If by some chance that 4670 is PCIe he could probably buy the cheapest model off the shelf at Walmart, pop in the video card and be much better off.
m
l
September 8, 2010 5:43:20 PM

Does he even have a PCI-E slot? I doubt it, as the 5000 series was all PCI...so we're looking at a new mobo, CPU, GPU, RAM...just buy a new system.
m
l
September 15, 2010 8:07:03 PM

Okay so how about you guys send me some money to buy a new pc, Other wise thats not an option at the moment. Also gamerk316 socket 478 does not lack HT support. Where ever you read that, or told you that was wrong.

Thanks for all the advice about getting a new computer, even though that's not what I was asking.
m
l
September 15, 2010 8:49:35 PM

skullysquirrel said:
Okay so how about you guys send me some money to buy a new pc, Other wise thats not an option at the moment. Also gamerk316 socket 478 does not lack HT support. Where ever you read that, or told you that was wrong.

Thanks for all the advice about getting a new computer, even though that's not what I was asking.

Actually gamerk316 said "the Socket 478 varients that lack Hyperthreading" not that 478 lacks hyperthreading. Sorry that you don't like the advice though. But you are using a PC that is more current to SC1 than SC2. If a new computer isn't an option maybe you can sell the game, but that's kind of a pain due to the Battle.net account. Not much else to say. If your computer is woefully inadequate for a game there is no magic advice that anybody can give to solve your problem. Don't go getting all pissy at the people who are giving you advice just because you don't like the truth.
m
l
September 15, 2010 9:40:27 PM

Apparently you didn't read my original post asking for help with a issue. Now, I have a much older computer that can play the game fine. I was asking why my current computer cannot play the game while my other computer which can't even support dual channel memory plays it fine. Also I take back what I said then about what gamerk316 had stated. I know my computer is way out of date, and I know it is the truth. The advice you had all given me was not the advice I was looking for, I was looking for advice on WHY my older computer can play the game better then my main one.
m
l

Best solution

September 15, 2010 10:41:04 PM

skullysquirrel said:
Apparently you didn't read my original post asking for help with a issue. Now, I have a much older computer that can play the game fine. I was asking why my current computer cannot play the game while my other computer which can't even support dual channel memory plays it fine. Also I take back what I said then about what gamerk316 had stated. I know my computer is way out of date, and I know it is the truth. The advice you had all given me was not the advice I was looking for, I was looking for advice on WHY my older computer can play the game better then my main one.

You don't have a current computer. You have two old ones. The fact that one can play the game at VERY LOW settings and the other can't just means one is worse off for the game than the other. The fact that the AMD system is the one that can play it and the P4 system can't is not that surprising since for those generation of CPU AMD was superior for gaming and did not rely on RAM performance the way Intel systems of that era did. That's why the AMD system with less RAM in single channel can outperform the Pentium system. If you want any advice other than to buy a new PC I would swap the video card putting the newer one in the AMD system but honestly the rest of that system is going to be such a bottleneck that it won't improve much anyways. If you say that one system can at least play at very low settings then you should be happy with that if a new machine is not an option.
September 16, 2010 7:49:08 AM

The Athlon CPU is actually superior to the Intel P4, by the way. I'd recommend you pair the Radeon 4670 with the Athlon system; that's about the best you can do under the circumstances.

The brutal honest truth is that either CPU is too slow to run the game at any decent setting. I currently play it on an Athlon X2 @ 2.8GHz and it keeps both cores at a constant 80%.
m
l
September 19, 2010 5:50:20 AM

Skully read the article they just posted on the main toms page about sc2 and what it demands. Heres a direct quote "...it takes a 3 GHz quad-core Phenom II to achieve a 20 FPS minimum. A 2.5 GHz Phenom II X4 barely offers playable performance".
Sorry to say but starcraft is more about the CPU and platform then anything else. I too agree with the rat and herr_koos; move the videocard to Athlon stystem put it on medium and cross your fingers.
m
l
June 9, 2011 1:07:02 PM

Best answer selected by skullysquirrel.
m
l
!