Doom3 doesnt even make Game of the Year top 10

Last response: in Video Games
December 20, 2004 2:44:24 AM

David wasted my time with the following on 12/19/2004 6:44 PM:

> Who's surprised?!

Look what else made the list:

10.Sid Meier's Pirates!
9.Far Cry
8.City of Heros
7.Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War
6.Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005
5.Rome: Total War
4.The Sims 2
3.UT2k4
2.World of Warcraft
1.Half-Life 2

Any site (especially gamespy) which includes A GOLFING SIM in its top 10
list immediately loses my repect and attention.

Honestly, the people at gamespy are not all-knowing.

IMHO, they're idiots.

Doom3 did get a "Special Achievement in Graphics" award, along with Far Cry.

Why don't you go troll somewhere else?

--
Noob - "do you hack?"
Justin - "i hack like a maniac!"

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:41:06 -0500, SnoopJeDi
<snoopjediHOLDTHESPAM@comcast.net> wrote:

>David wasted my time with the following on 12/19/2004 6:44 PM:
>

>> Who's surprised?!
>>

>Look what else made the list:
[...]
>Any site (especially gamespy) which includes A GOLFING SIM in its top 10
>list immediately loses my repect and attention.

Don't you know that those awards are normally given out on best graphics?
There are some exceptions (e.g. Doom 3 received enough flak for being "too
dark" and requiring a bit too powerful system), but that's how decisions
are normally made.

Besides, it's a top-ten list of PC games. If you wanted a version that
excludes Golf sims, then you are free to look at the Action and Strategy
genres (as they come out.) If you want all games included, then you will
end up with these sort of suprises, even if golf isn't played by that many
people.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 5:04:44 AM

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:41:06 -0500, SnoopJeDi
<snoopjediHOLDTHESPAM@comcast.net> wrote:

>David wasted my time with the following on 12/19/2004 6:44 PM:
>

>> Who's surprised?!
>>

>Look what else made the list:
>
>10.Sid Meier's Pirates!
>9.Far Cry
>8.City of Heros
>7.Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War
>6.Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005
>5.Rome: Total War
>4.The Sims 2
>3.UT2k4

UT 2004 may have gotten good reviews, but I don't think too many
people bought the game...

>2.World of Warcraft
>1.Half-Life 2
>
>Any site (especially gamespy) which includes A GOLFING SIM in its top 10
>list immediately loses my repect and attention.
>
>Honestly, the people at gamespy are not all-knowing.
>
>IMHO, they're idiots.
>
>Doom3 did get a "Special Achievement in Graphics" award, along with Far Cry.
>
>Why don't you go troll somewhere else?
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 1:44:46 PM

count zero wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:41:06 -0500, SnoopJeDi
> <snoopjediHOLDTHESPAM@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>David wasted my time with the following on 12/19/2004 6:44 PM:
>>

>>>Who's surprised?!
>>>

>>Look what else made the list:
>>
>>10.Sid Meier's Pirates!
>>9.Far Cry
>>8.City of Heros
>>7.Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War
>>6.Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005
>>5.Rome: Total War
>>4.The Sims 2
>>3.UT2k4
>

> UT 2004 may have gotten good reviews, but I don't think too many
> people bought the game...
>

>>2.World of Warcraft
>>1.Half-Life 2
>>
>>Any site (especially gamespy) which includes A GOLFING SIM in its top 10
>>list immediately loses my repect and attention.
>>
>>Honestly, the people at gamespy are not all-knowing.
>>
>>IMHO, they're idiots.
>>
>>Doom3 did get a "Special Achievement in Graphics" award, along with Far Cry.
>>
>>Why don't you go troll somewhere else?

I know I didn't, it came out too quickly after UT2k3, and the community
packs and mods were nearly non-existant for much of 2k3's life. But
I've played it and it is a lot of fun.

Some of those picks are just retarded though; the Sims 2? WTF even die
hard Sims fans saw it as just more of the same. And Far Cry may be fun
to benchmark and whine about video card performance in the forums, but
in reality it's not terribly fun to play.

I've bought both D3 and HL2, and I can say after playing through all of
HL2 non-stop, I'm was thoroughly more impressed and had a lot more fun
in Doom 3. HL2 was less like a storyline that HL1 was and more like a
game on rails.
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 8:21:04 PM

On 12/21/2004 8:44 AM deimos brightened our day with:

> I know I didn't, it came out too quickly after UT2k3, and the
> community packs and mods were nearly non-existant for much of 2k3's
> life. But I've played it and it is a lot of fun.
>
> Some of those picks are just retarded though; the Sims 2? WTF even die
> hard Sims fans saw it as just more of the same. And Far Cry may be
> fun to benchmark and whine about video card performance in the forums,
> but in reality it's not terribly fun to play.

It's nice to see other people share my opinion, in my opinion Far Cry is
incredibly un-fun.

> I've bought both D3 and HL2, and I can say after playing through all
> of HL2 non-stop, I'm was thoroughly more impressed and had a lot more
> fun in Doom 3. HL2 was less like a storyline that HL1 was and more
> like a game on rails.

I've had a just about equal amount of fun single playing HL2, Doom3 and
Halo 2, but Halo 2 just kicks the ass of the other games as far as
multiplayer goes. UT2K4 I was very happy with and into for about two
months then I just lost interest.

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

"David" <hsternak@nospamyahooxxx.com> wrote in message
> http://goty.gamespy.com/2004/pc/index26.html
>
> http://goty.gamespy.com/2004/
>
> HL2 got #1.
>
> Who's surprised?!

Not I.

Doom 3 was Carmacks lighting effects demo wrapped up in a mostly too dark (a
little dark is fine), claustrophobic, repetitious, Resident Evil clone
gameplay package that had little to no resemblance to it's predesessors, and
generated hardly any of their same kind of fun or enjoyment. It didn't
deserve to be in any top 10 lists.

There, whew! -- got that out of my system :-)

Bob
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 3:21:34 AM

McGrandpa wasted my time on 1/14/2005 10:17 PM with the following:

> Do you think, for a moment, there are 12 million WoW players? EQ?
> That's where I discovered what these mmo's are. I took it home for
> $29, then found I'd have to put up a $30 fee to start it. Then after my
> 'card' ran out, pay more.
> I can promise you, even as "BIG" as these mmos appear, they are nothing
> to one good SP game for sheer numbers. No matter how good or wonderful
> the worlds of EQ or WoW are, there are huge numbers of gamers that've
> turned away from them for the same reason I did. But how could you
> ever really know how many pick up the box, find out that you buy the
> game and keep right on paying to play it, and just put it back on the
> shelf. Like I should have. You really can't know that. Only hazard a
> guess.
> It's ok though. You all go on liking buy and keep paying just to play.
> I'll have none of it, thank you.
> McGrandpa [AGQx]

I never said anything about them being better than a good FPS. I hate
MMORPGs.

The reviews are not "how many people bought this game? ok, #1"

And of course, the review is what the thread is about.

Anyway, back to more important things.

--
Noob - "do you hack?"
Justin - "i hack like a maniac!"
Noob - "do you have digital cable?"
Justin - "i have *ALL* the cables!"
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 10:02:19 PM

> "SnoopJeDi" <snoopjediHOLDTHESPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > I watched a guy playing the WoW beta, and it looked like a good (read:
> > for a MMORPG) experience.
>
> Do you think, for a moment, there are 12 million WoW players? EQ?
> That's where I discovered what these mmo's are. I took it home for
> $29, then found I'd have to put up a $30 fee to start it. Then after my
> 'card' ran out, pay more.
> I can promise you, even as "BIG" as these mmos appear, they are nothing
> to one good SP game for sheer numbers. No matter how good or wonderful
> the worlds of EQ or WoW are, there are huge numbers of gamers that've
> turned away from them for the same reason I did. But how could you
> ever really know how many pick up the box, find out that you buy the
> game and keep right on paying to play it, and just put it back on the
> shelf. Like I should have. You really can't know that. Only hazard a
> guess.
> It's ok though. You all go on liking buy and keep paying just to play.
> I'll have none of it, thank you.
> McGrandpa [AGQx]

Yeah, no way I could afford a pay-to-play online game.
I love Diablo II, but you only have to pay for that once, plus you can play
it just as thoroughly offline as on.

There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://www.evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)
!