how does proxy mobile ip work with arp on the mobile node?

Archived from groups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I don't understand how a mobile node that has
moved subnets can talk to the rest of the network
when using proxy mobile ip. Does anyone know how
this works?

ARP is L2(ish) and i get we don't want to create a
giant L2 network by bridging all traffic both directions
between an access point to the mobile node over the wifi link.

So we use mobile ip at the ip layer.

The problem is when a mobile node shifts subnets
it is now on the wrong network.

The only thing i can think of is the AP intercepts
all packets from mobile nodes and transforms them
somehow. This turns an AP into router which it is
probably underpowered to do, especially as the
wifi side gets faster.

Archived from groups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

In article <10o4rengk895k4f@news.supernews.com>,
Debbie Craft <d145@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't understand how a mobile node that has
> moved subnets can talk to the rest of the network
> when using proxy mobile ip. Does anyone know how
> this works?

www.tcpipguide.com has a chapter on mobile IP that explains how this is
done.

--