Mysterious Time changes

billiam

Distinguished
May 4, 2005
My computer will change times mysteriously. At times it will keep the time that is correct. At other times, it will jump two or 3 days ahead. I have replaced the cmos battery and the problem still occurs. Any idea what the problem could be?

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I would agree on the virus/spyware/etc idea.

Can't think of anything else apart from - the fairly obvious - someone else changing it for you that is. :wink:

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

billiam

Distinguished
May 4, 2005
Yes, I have done both. I run counterspy actively on my computer. I also have system mechanic installed which uses Kaspersky Anti-Virus. I have done full scans and also run the program actively. I used Norton previously. One thing that I have noticed about Kaspersky when running a full scan, that it asks me for a password to scan certain archive files. I don't have a password and have never seen this before. Is this common?

billiam

Distinguished
May 4, 2005
Just a further note. The archived files that ask for passwords are sbrecovery.* files. Other than that, I don't know anything about it.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Compression/archiving programs (such as Winzip, Winrar) give you the option of encrypting your archives with a password. You must have your antivirus set to try to scan inside compressed archives, but you have a couple of password-protected ones on your hard disk.

This isn't necessarily a problem - they could be used by an application and are passworded to stop people prying. (where I work we have applications that do this, so it's not unusual)

You'll find your scans take less time if you turn the 'scan inside compressed archives' option off, but that's up to you of course... Personally I wouldn't bother scanning inside them.

Back to your original problem, I suppose it <i>could</i> be a weird BIOS bug or something, but it's not one I've heard of before. You could try flashing the BIOS to the latest on the off-chance (but that can be potentially risky, although it's generally 99%+ safe if instructions are followed carefully), or maybe send an e-mail to the board manufacturer maybe.

Not sure what else to suggest, really. :eek:

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

RichPLS

Champion
Could it be a failing eprom chip?

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

billiam

Distinguished
May 4, 2005
From a previous suggestion, I got in touch with Phoenix Bios (esupport) about the issue. The tech seemed to indicate that that was a problem with my motherboard. They have a custom bios fix and it would only cost me 59.95...! I will have to think about that one. I am not sure fixing that problem is worth it.

I appreciate all of the suggestions I received.

RichPLS

Champion
The manufacturer should issue you a corrected BIOS for free!
Phoenix can shove this bird up their bios!

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
thats ridiculous, i screwed up my bios chip on an asus board and they sent me a new one with the flash that i wanted for 11 bucks.

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Don't go to Phoenix, go to your motherboard mfg and get them to fix it. Phoenix doesn't have to provide you free support because you aren't their customer.

Mike.

PS: You can almost buy a new mobo for that 59 bucks... (depending on what system you have of course)

RichPLS

Champion
Makes perfect sense, for the cost of you $99 mobo you get a bios included, for $69 you get a working one.

billiam

Distinguished
May 4, 2005
My motherboard was made by Shuttle. They don't offer any support for the bios that I can tell. I will look again. Of course, I will not be getting the 59.00 upgrade.