Anyone else thinks HP's website needs a major overhaul?

Hello,

I've spent nearly three days searching for all tools and drivers for my HP
systems which are lacking recovery CDs and thus, important tools such as
DiagTools and TopTools.

Drivers are quite easy to find once you find your product (which isn't
always as trivial as you might expect, see Visualize X550 for example). But
add-on utilities are nearly unidentifiable (e.g. search for TopTools for
Kayak XU6). Product specifications are hidden in some submenus most of
which are even unusable due to some JavaScript sending you to a generic
page). Many links are just orphaned.

Still better as MS or Sony, though... And a quite helpful support, I might
add (searching for the support matrix for TopTools, links are orphaned, but
HP support came up with the answer in two days).

Any thoughts?

As a sidenote: I understand that there is a need for consistancy in naming
conventions for companies but sometimes you might just stretch it too far:
TopTools, TopTools agents for servers, TopTools agents for Desktops (add
WMI or DMI respectively), DiagTools (dozens of different versions which may
or may not work in your workstation and all of which of course won't work
in your laptop - the P/N of the older DiagTools CD with support for
Omnibooks isn't downloadable anymore), e-DiagTools, Insight Manager (where
version 4.2 is newer than 7.1), dozens of versions of the Kayak XU and so
on...

100,000 lemmings can't be wrong.
7 answers Last reply
More about anyone thinks website major overhaul

    You should write Carly! ;-)

    HP's web site competes with Sun's for the
    Great Prize for the most chaotic web site
    in the entire Galaxy.

    IBM's is indeed hors concours ;-)

    dk

    "Christian Dürrhauer" <cduerr@geog.fu-berlin.de> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've spent nearly three days searching for all tools and drivers for my HP
    > systems which are lacking recovery CDs and thus, important tools such as
    > DiagTools and TopTools.
    >
    > Drivers are quite easy to find once you find your product (which isn't
    > always as trivial as you might expect, see Visualize X550 for example).
    But
    > add-on utilities are nearly unidentifiable (e.g. search for TopTools for
    > Kayak XU6). Product specifications are hidden in some submenus most of
    > which are even unusable due to some JavaScript sending you to a generic
    > page). Many links are just orphaned.
    >
    > Still better as MS or Sony, though... And a quite helpful support, I might
    > add (searching for the support matrix for TopTools, links are orphaned,
    but
    > HP support came up with the answer in two days).
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > As a sidenote: I understand that there is a need for consistancy in naming
    > conventions for companies but sometimes you might just stretch it too far:
    > TopTools, TopTools agents for servers, TopTools agents for Desktops (add
    > WMI or DMI respectively), DiagTools (dozens of different versions which
    may
    > or may not work in your workstation and all of which of course won't work
    > in your laptop - the P/N of the older DiagTools CD with support for
    > Omnibooks isn't downloadable anymore), e-DiagTools, Insight Manager (where
    > version 4.2 is newer than 7.1), dozens of versions of the Kayak XU and so
    > on...
    >
    > --
    > mit freundlichen Grüßen/with kind regards
    > Christian Dürrhauer, Institute of Geography, FU Berlin
    >
    > 100,000 lemmings can't be wrong.

    I've been looking for some of the latest drivers for the video card in
    a hp e-pc e-vectra... long story short, HP's site doesn't seem to help
    me.

    Without a doubt, the HP web site is poorly organized and wanting in content in
    many areas. The merger with Compaq did not help much. It was a merger of
    equals. Equally difficult web sites missing much information essential to
    customers. Two companies with a tradition of trying to lock customers into
    their "way" of doing things, which meant their proprietary technology at prices
    well above the rest of the market. The current HP web site is a reflection of
    the HPaq business model, treating customers like mushrooms. Keep customers in
    the dark and feed them a lot of manure.

    IBM, Dell, and even Gateway have far better organized and far more complete web
    sites. With IBM, you can STILL get detailed data about its lamentable
    MicroChannel computers. With Dell, you can still get technical info about its
    early 286 and 386 computers. Gateway, pre-eMachines anyway, had a decent
    collection of technical data about computers going back to the 486 epoch.

    Carly has a lot on her plate. This week's Fortune magazine presented the merged
    HPaq in a very unfavorable light, essentially declaring the merger a bust for
    stockholders in strictest financial terms, and asking what Carly intends to do
    to improve profitability of the non-printer businesses. There's also been
    speculation that the HP board will lose patience with the Carly regime's poor
    strategic planning and lack of direction... Ben Myers

    richard el grande wrote:
    > I've been looking for some of the latest drivers for the video card in
    > a hp e-pc e-vectra... long story short, HP's site doesn't seem to help
    > me.

    Does this help?
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?locale=en_US&pnameOID=20822&taskId=135&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=32384&submit.y=8&submit.x=8&lang=en&cc=us

    craigm

    Right. HP does not often have drivers for computers available on its web site,
    a real sore spot as far as I am concerned. Your best bet is to read the
    "Product Specifications" for the computer, then track down drivers at the
    various web sites of the chipset manufacturers whose chips are inside the
    computer. This has worked for me many times over, when I've rehabbed an HP
    computer... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Without a doubt, the HP web site is poorly organized and wanting in content in
    > many areas. The merger with Compaq did not help much. It was a merger of
    > equals. Equally difficult web sites missing much information essential to
    > customers. Two companies with a tradition of trying to lock customers into
    > their "way" of doing things, which meant their proprietary technology at prices
    > well above the rest of the market. The current HP web site is a reflection of
    > the HPaq business model, treating customers like mushrooms. Keep customers in
    > the dark and feed them a lot of manure.
    >
    > IBM, Dell, and even Gateway have far better organized and far more complete web
    > sites. With IBM, you can STILL get detailed data about its lamentable
    > MicroChannel computers. With Dell, you can still get technical info about its
    > early 286 and 386 computers. Gateway, pre-eMachines anyway, had a decent
    > collection of technical data about computers going back to the 486 epoch.
    >
    > Carly has a lot on her plate. This week's Fortune magazine presented the merged
    > HPaq in a very unfavorable light,

    You can say that again. They did a real hatchet job on her. Almost makes you
    feel sorry for the poor girl. Just kidding. They even acknowledged right off
    the bat that they were one of the publications that helped turn her into the
    media darling she is today. After Fortune said that her "big bet is failing",
    the WSJ, not to be outdone, said "Fiorina Fails at HP". For some reason, the
    honeymoon with the press seems to be over.

    > essentially declaring the merger a bust for stockholders in strictest financial
    > terms,

    Interestingly, an HP executive responded to that by saying the merger really
    wasn't done for the benefit of stockholders, it actually was done for the
    benefit of customers. Then I see where PC World surveyed their customers,
    and found HP and Compaq branded computers came in dead last in satisfaction
    with the products, and well as support. Apparently the customers didn't benefit
    quite as much as this executive claimed. The employees didn't seem to benefit
    either, as about 30,000 have been whacked as a result of the merger. Seems
    like the only real beneficiaries were Carly and her top lieutenants, who helped
    themselves to hundreds of millions in the process.

    > and asking what Carly intends to do
    > to improve profitability of the non-printer businesses.

    Well, she paid Gwen Stefani, Vanessa Carlton, and Matt Damon big bucks for
    cross-promotions at CES this year. That "Harajuku Lovers" camera that Gwen
    designed ought to be dynamite. When the innovative HP iPod Photo hits the
    street, it ought to really turn the company around, huh?

    http://vnuuk.typepad.com/ces/2005/01/another_keynote.html

    Christian Dürrhauer wrote:

    > I've spent nearly three days searching for all tools and drivers for
    > my HP systems which are lacking recovery CDs and thus, important
    > tools such as DiagTools and TopTools.
    >
    > Drivers are quite easy to find once you find your product (which isn't
    > always as trivial as you might expect, see Visualize X550 for
    > example). But add-on utilities are nearly unidentifiable (e.g. search
    > for TopTools for Kayak XU6).

    No problem. Every HP product has a product number. If You use this one You
    should find what You need...

    > Product specifications are hidden in
    > some submenus most of which are even unusable due to some JavaScript
    > sending you to a generic page). Many links are just orphaned.

    I had no problems with the HP pages, neither with IE or Firefox...

    Benjamin

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?