Mag mount antennas?

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Can anyone tell me what has been their experience using a mag mount antenna
on their car? I have the LG VX4500 and we all know they are poor RF
performers. I was thinking of getting a mag mount with the adaptor to
attach it to my phone if indeed it does help. Theoretically it should work
better but in real life does it really help out? Any comments or
recommendations as to what and where I can get a decent antenna? Thanks!

Bob

"Bob" <rfa5@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me what has been their experience using a mag mount
antenna
> on their car? I have the LG VX4500 and we all know they are poor RF
> performers. I was thinking of getting a mag mount with the adaptor to
> attach it to my phone if indeed it does help. Theoretically it should work
> better but in real life does it really help out? Any comments or
> recommendations as to what and where I can get a decent antenna? Thanks!
>
> Bob

Yes it seems to help in many/most situations, but I would like to make a
suggestion. On the back of my phone bag/clip (actually on the part that
clips on my belt) I stuck on one of those self adhesive velcro strips (the
fuzzy side), and in the car (and at home and in the office), I put a self
stick square on the dash (the "hook" side), along with a bunch of other
strips at various convenient places (on the wall near my desk, on the lamp
by my TV, on the microwave next to where I keep the charger plugged in etc).
Keeps it in one place so I can find it, and when in the car, keeps it in one
place so I can plug the antenna in.

In another post, you had asked about antennas/pigtail plugs etc, see a whole
variety at www.wilsoncellular.com, They sell a whole bunch of both the
Wilson cellular and the Wilson trucker antennas (among a bunch of others),
and if you don't like mail-order, you can see/get/order them at most truck
stops.

Another suggestion, I have a Jabra freespeak wireless headset on mine, and
trained it to use voice control, so essentially it is hands free also. (not
necessary, but I prefer wireless to wired, or fumbling with a cellphone
while driving).

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"Bob" <rfa5@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me what has been their experience using a mag mount
antenna
> on their car? I have the LG VX4500 and we all know they are poor RF
> performers. I was thinking of getting a mag mount with the adaptor to
> attach it to my phone if indeed it does help. Theoretically it should work
> better but in real life does it really help out? Any comments or
> recommendations as to what and where I can get a decent antenna? Thanks!
>
> Bob

How do we all know that they are poor RF performers?

I have 3 on my plan and use one heavily. In my experience the phone performs
as good as or better than other phones I have had or have used.

An external antenna will help any phone if you are in a marginal area.

Bob,

I don't understand why you and others say the LG VX4500 phone is a poor RF
performer. I have had cellular from the very beginning (Chicago, early
1970s). Because of my business travels I use my phone all over the entire
United States and over the years have had dozens of phones but I personally
think the 4500 is one of the best phones that I have ever had. Of course I
do not have technical data on the phone, but in my opinion it is great. I
have never lost a call, have great sound, great reception, etc. Am I just
lucky.

I got the Motorola V710 several weeks ago. Again a great phone, but I do
not think that it was my favorite so I returned it and went back to the
LGVX4500.

Tomorrow, I am going to go out and get a new Treo 600 and if it works for
me, I will give this phone to one of my employees and use the Treo. If the
Treo is too big or for some other reason, I do not like the Treo, I will go
back to the 4500.

Just my opinion.

Bruce D. Brown

I am going out tomorrow and getting a Treo 600
"Bob" <rfa5@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me what has been their experience using a mag mount
> antenna
> on their car? I have the LG VX4500 and we all know they are poor RF
> performers. I was thinking of getting a mag mount with the adaptor to
> attach it to my phone if indeed it does help. Theoretically it should work
> better but in real life does it really help out? Any comments or
> recommendations as to what and where I can get a decent antenna? Thanks!
>
> Bob

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"Bruce D. Brown" <bdbrown@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Bob,
>
> I don't understand why you and others say the LG VX4500 phone is a poor RF
> performer. I have had cellular from the very beginning (Chicago, early
> 1970s). Because of my business travels I use my phone all over the entire
> United States and over the years have had dozens of phones but I
personally
> think the 4500 is one of the best phones that I have ever had. Of course
> do not have technical data on the phone, but in my opinion it is great. I
> have never lost a call, have great sound, great reception, etc. Am I just
> lucky.

No, I also get good RF performance and sound quality with the vx4500. I
have 3 on my plan and use mine heavily. I also have used cellular "forever"
and other communications systems before that.

> I got the Motorola V710 several weeks ago. Again a great phone, but I do
> not think that it was my favorite so I returned it and went back to the
> LGVX4500.
>
> Tomorrow, I am going to go out and get a new Treo 600 and if it works for
> me, I will give this phone to one of my employees and use the Treo. If
the
> Treo is too big or for some other reason, I do not like the Treo, I will
go
> back to the 4500.
>
> Just my opinion.
>
> Bruce D. Brown
>
> I am going out tomorrow and getting a Treo 600
> "Bob" <rfa5@optonline.net> wrote in message
> > Can anyone tell me what has been their experience using a mag mount
> > antenna
> > on their car? I have the LG VX4500 and we all know they are poor RF
> > performers. I was thinking of getting a mag mount with the adaptor to
> > attach it to my phone if indeed it does help. Theoretically it should
work
> > better but in real life does it really help out? Any comments or
> > recommendations as to what and where I can get a decent antenna?
Thanks!

> > Bob

"Bob" <rfa5@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<qF%Yc.29470$Es2.11927094@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
> Can anyone tell me what has been their experience using a mag mount antenna
> on their car? I have the LG VX4500 and we all know they are poor RF
> performers. I was thinking of getting a mag mount with the adaptor to
> attach it to my phone if indeed it does help. Theoretically it should work
> better but in real life does it really help out? Any comments or
> recommendations as to what and where I can get a decent antenna? Thanks!
>
> Bob

Short answer.
Don't expect miracles from a magmount, just a consistantly higher
signal.
Check the Wilson site or Canyonriver for the correct adapter cable. I
recommend a dual charger adapter cable.
All those wires can be a hassle to deal with. The charger type adapter
disconnects your phones antenna COMPLETELY, so remember that using
just the charger, without the magmount to make calls, will provide
very poor signal levels. I works very good when charging and talking
with the antenna hooked up though, especially in analog areas, where
batteries drain rapidly.

Watch for hyped up "test" measurements and look for substance and
quality materials. The design was worked out long ago and most have
very similar levels of performance.

After taking some RX measurement using the testmode screen, which I'm
sure does not tell the whole story about signal performance, nor is it
the most accurate test, it seems .... the signal was about the same
strength if I stood outside my car with the phone's (excellent)stock
antenna OR hooked up to either of a couple of standard 12 inch long,
spring type, mag mount antennas.
Ideally I should record both RX and TX values while making calls.

My audiovox 9500 has a very good, stock 1/2 wave antenna, 6" long
antenna.
Inside the car there was a big difference using the mag mount. The car
body blocks a lot of signal.
Used the RX measurement units INSIDE the car... -83-84db stock antenna
removed entirely -73-75 stock antenna, down position
-60-61 Wilson (dual band) mag mount
-57-58 Nynex Single Band

-58db Outside the car, stock antenna only

It's important to remember, hooking up combo CLA/ external antenna
adapter cable, causes the phones own antenna to be completely
disconnected (or it should).
So, the external antenna has to make up for the loss of the stock
antenna gain and then provide any potential signal improvement, in
addition.
A phone with a less than ideal (stub/patch designed for looks?) stock
antenna, would likely benefit the most from a magmount.

Note: the Nokia 3589i (internal patch antenna) is one of the BEST
performing phones, but since there is no hardwired external antenna
adapter, it's hard to compare with any other antenna hookup. Either
the phone's receiver is incredible, to make up for the patch or the
patch antenna design is some kind of breakthrough. I'd like to think
reception with another antenna could be MUCH better and when someone
finally adds a little external antenna port to the 3589i, they will
know for sure!

Also, there are even more loses all along the signal path, when using
an external antenna. The adapter cable, each connection and adapter
barrels. Any long length of cable can have a high loss, unless the
appropriate quality for the distance, shielded cable is used.

*The Wilson uses longer and thinner cable 9.5 feet of RG 174u. Fits
better through a closed door but has a fairly high loss. It's also a
dual band.
The Nynex has 6.5 feet of Belden RG58a/u
The cable type used can make a difference, since better made, thicker
cable loses less signal.

In real world use as well, the magmount seems to provide only a little
improvement over the stock antenna, if compared with the phone held
outside the car, in the same location. The magmount removes any
obstructions caused by the car body or tinted windows, or one's own
head, inside the car.
It would also seem, a magmount, for a fixed location, would remove the
obstructions caused by the walls or house, but doesn't boost the
signal a great deal, unlike a Yagi. There's also some gain getting any
type of antenna up higher. A magmount mounted on a pole, could be the
alternative to making calls from the rooftop.

There's longer, higher gain, magmount antennas. I have not used one,
but they get extra gain by concentrating the antenna signal more
towards the horizon. Since I travel in the mountains and towers are
usually atop hills, high gain magmounts may actually reduce the
signal "seen" by the phone, and could miss the towers high up. If one
were out on plains or wide open country, the high gain designs may be
more useful.
Yagi antennas, although not useful for a car, since they require
aiming at one tower, really do boost the signal significantly, over
the stock antenna.

I bought a 12" Wilson Mag Mount for $39. There's a piece of vinyl tape
on the base covering magnet. The tape is starting to scrap/peel off
with just a little use:(
The ball on the end fell off:(
It performs about equal to an old Nynex mag mount antenna I own.
Appears to be made cheaper, with a big marketing hype. Good
warranty/CS. Wilson replaced the anntenna with another one. The ball
was replaced by a plastic nub. The other styles of Wilson antennas may
be better?

Wilson Electronics, Inc. - Wilson Magnet Mount Cellular Antenna

http://www.cellularantenna.com/antennas/wcmagnet.htm

Check out this antenna forum for more info Cell Antenna Corporation
Q&A Forum

http://www.cellantenna.com/.cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

Index - How to Improve Cellular, Nextel and PCS GSM Reception

http://www.criterioncellular.com/tutorials/index.html

Criterioncelluar has been a good resource. They are less hype and more
practical info. Local to (SF) and sell mostly pro-grade and American
made antennas/parts.
They can also make up any length and type of cable/termination and are
very knowledgable.
Bought an Antennex Yagi and parts from them and got good help quality
products*.

At least there are good pictures, showing how to identify the various
types of connectors used to connect handsets, cables, adapters and
antennas. With so many connector types, it can be confusing.

Haven't used their 3 watt booster, but I'm curious if anyone has a
review or compared it to the popular (BDA) Cellantenna sells? It's FCC
compliant, which is important. Yet another, 3 watt booster sold by
Wilson, does not indicate an FCC approved design?

The difference between quality antennas/parts and cheaper imported
stuff, often seems like OEM compared to aftermarket accessories. Both
units will work, but the cheaper parts do not hold up as well and
overseas construction and materials are often inferior.

*Despite getting an American made, welded and tested Yagi antenna, the
last element of 6, on the end, was mounted a couple of degrees off
perpendicular. Antennex replaced it for free, including shipping and
said the holes had been drilled slightly crooked, before welding.
It still worked fine, but makes one wonder about the state of American
manufacturing.
After all, the reason I paid $120 for a welded, 6 element Yagi,
instead of riveted import, was that each Antennex antenna is claimed
to be tested and tuned to specs. I thought welds would hold up better
as well under rough use, like getting carried in a car trunk.

-
David

"Dan Albrich" <junkmail@shaney.uoregon.edui> wrote in message news:<VrKdnawZlN5sIancRVn-ug@comcast.com>...
> > Can anyone tell me what has been their experience using a mag mount
> > antenna
> > on their car?
>
> Yes, and it makes a significant difference. From usenet reports, but also
> from personal experience an antenna will allow you to make and receive calls
> in an area where weak signal is detected by your phone, but not usable. It
> also helps you hold calls as you drive through a weak section that would
> otherwise cause a call to drop.
> I have seen it allow me to place calls in places where my phone doesn't even
> detect a signal without the antenna but this is rare. So the conventional
> wisdom is that it helps weak areas, but doesn't allow you to use the phone
> in a place with no detectable signal (without antenna) in most cases.
>
> > I have the LG VX4500 and we all know they are poor RF
> > performers.
>
> This is a tough issue because nobody has access and time to really use a
> wide variety of phones, and compare them side-by-side.

I take several phones out to a favorite hiking trailhead, where calls
calls will barley connect, if at all, on ATT TDMA/Analog, VZW D/A and
Sprint.

Bolinger Canyon Road, before park road gate, dirt parking lot on left,
where a car would park, near garbage can.

N 37°48.694'
W122°02.608' (WGS-84)

Then make bunch of test calls on each. 611 is used for unactivated
handsets and as an alternative outgoing number from active phones
The further up the hill from the valley floor required to walk before
a call can be connected show, the relative fringe area call
performance or (power to reach back to the tower?).
The Startacs constitently needed to come further up the hill to
connect a D/A call.
If a phone can call out from the valley floor parking lot, like the
Nokia 3585i, it's given an excellent rating. Moving around once a
fringe call is connected, seems to show how well each phone can hold a
call.
Even if a call is connected with the Motv60i, it won't hold a call
except for a keeping the phone carefully held in certain direction,
unlike the VX 9500 or Nokia 3585i where I could move all over.
Each phone gets checked in analog, digital and PCS. The external
magmount antenna didn't seem to make much difference on the Startac or
Audiovox 9500 and I'm trying to figure out why? Only had adapter
cables for these phones.
Cell shrinkage during peak times, changed results drastically. During
some times of day, no calls would connect from the parking lot, but it
was consistant across phones.

If you go into the
> debug menu (Menu-0) and view the debug screens, you can find the EC/IO
> measured in db. Comparing this to another Verizon phone in the same spot
> (EC/IO) should give you a decent estimation of RF capabilities of the
> phones. The "bars" indicator, as we know, varies by phone and cannot be
> used for comparison.

I thought the EC/IO measured the relative interference levels "Signal
to Noise ratio" created by all the other CDMA users. How does is this
value used to rate one phones RF to another?

> For
> example, the 8260 on AT&T was a poor performer relative to other old
> TDMA/anlog handsets including even Nokias 6160 which was a real work-horse
> of a phone.
>
> Granted, I've only owned a handful of 1x phones, but in my limited
> experience they seem to generally perform better RF-wise than any of the 2G
> phones (or at least equal to the best of the 2G handsets). This was an
> unexpected but welcome surprise when I upgraded. I suspect you can take
> most any 1x phone and have it perform as well as even the best 2G phones.
> Within 1x phones, there are differences still. Anyway, haven't seen a 1x
> capable phone with really poor RF yet. (incidentally I see this same
> phenomenon withboth 1x and GSM phones vs. "2G" TDMA/CDMA under the same
> conditions. It seems the phones that use an economy of bandwidth for calls
> generally, may also work better in bandwidth constrained environments --

Does 2G mean second generation, pre 1x? Like the Motorola Startac 7868
Dual band/dual mode, for example.
Verizon first "trimode" got this reputation for having excellent RF
performance or "the best phone made". I find most of the newer 1x
handsets to have superior digital reception. My AVX 9500 still beats
it in analog. Now, voice quality may still be the best. Compression
didn't advance VQ much.

Is the best RF TDMA handset still the 6160? I have to buy a prepaid
for a friend. What is a Nokia GSM example?

> One last thing with regard to the antenna- most of the phones have this
> unusual looking "O" ring that has a pin in the center. In some cases the O
> gets progressively smaller so as to give you a cup or cone appearance. My
> experience with these connectors has generally been bad.

I'm using adapter cables that plug into the bottom of the phone jack.
Despite how delicate they look, those ports hold up very well. A
couple of cables have failed on very old phones.

> PS: I started out with Magmount, then closed my window on the cable coming
> into the car (not professionally installed). This ruined the molding around
> one of my windows and it had to be replaced. I know have a glass mount kit
> which has worked really well for me,

Inductive antennas must work, or they couldn't get a signal to pass
through the glass. Seems like there must be some loss" Silly, but I
just don't trust antennas which don't keep the wires connected
(hardwiring). Got ripped of on the very first (reradiating dipole)
window mount antenna.

-
Thanks,
David

"George" <george@nospam.invalid> wrote in

> How do we all know that they are poor RF performers?

I don't think it's any of the phones, now that I have dumped Verizon's
Cellular One system in Charleston, SC, for Alltel's system. I'm using the
same defective Motorola V60i that was to blame for all of Verizon's signal
problems as before. But, now on Alltel, the defective V60i blamed for
everything makes clear, completed calls way down past -97 dBm on page 1 of
the test page display.

From this observation over the couple of weeks since I flew the coup, I
think it's more related to what system the phone is talking to, than it is
to blame the phones, themselves. Alltel's system, here at least, will make
a great call when there's only 1 bar of signal. Simply amazing.

Having never switched systems, before since Cellular One put up the first
two towers, I had no reference to see this effect. All I knew was when my
VZW said "NO SERVICE" inside WalMart, the Alltel customers were talking on
theirs.....??

Larry W4CSC wrote:

> I don't think it's any of the phones, now that I have dumped Verizon's
> Cellular One system in Charleston, SC, for Alltel's system. I'm
> using the same defective Motorola V60i that was to blame for all of
> Verizon's signal problems as before. But, now on Alltel, the
> defective V60i blamed for everything makes clear, completed calls way
> down past -97 dBm on page 1 of the test page display.
>
> From this observation over the couple of weeks since I flew the coup,
> I think it's more related to what system the phone is talking to,
> than it is to blame the phones, themselves. Alltel's system, here at
> least, will make a great call when there's only 1 bar of signal.
> Simply amazing.

This is simply amazing. What is more amazing is that it is coming
from you Larry.

> But, now on Alltel, the
> defective V60i blamed for everything makes clear, completed calls way
> down past -97 dBm on page 1 of the test page display.

> Alltel's system, here at least, will make a great call when there's
> only 1 bar of signal.

What you are implying is that VZW's system *won't* make a call
at the same signal strenght??? Same radio interface technology???
C'mon Larry. You have your issues, but you have never resorted
to voodoo explanations in the context of radio...

-Quick

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <qF%Yc.29470$Es2.11927094@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>, rfa5
@optonline.net says...
> Can anyone tell me what has been their experience using a mag mount antenna
> on their car? I have the LG VX4500 and we all know they are poor RF
> performers. I was thinking of getting a mag mount with the adaptor to
> attach it to my phone if indeed it does help. Theoretically it should work
> better but in real life does it really help out? Any comments or
> recommendations as to what and where I can get a decent antenna? Thanks!
>
> Bob

I haven't tried it in a car. But I can tell you that I now know of
three people (myself and two people to whom I gave gifts), who found the
magnamount to make enough of a difference so that their phone calls are
received, don't break up, and don't drop, inside buildings or particular
rooms where this wasn't possible. All three are LG 4400s.\

I've rarely been so pleased with the performance of something so small
and compact and well made.

Heed the caveat about attaching it to metal such as a file cabinet. Not
having a large metal object where I needed the antenna the most, and
wanting to move around with it, I placed it on a large ball jar lid so
that it is placed on a larger piece of metal. Another person placed it
on a file cabinet and the third find that just walking around with it
boots signal adequately,

Louise

> The external
> magmount antenna didn't seem to make much difference on the Startac or
> Audiovox 9500 and I'm trying to figure out why?

Could be Pilot pollution or distance from tower.. I'd be curious if your
results improved dramatically by forcing analog prior to testing (assuming
you haven't done that). I often find myself requiring analog when hiking in
the mountains where no digital phone will work. Same phenomenon on the
north rim of the grand canyon. Your phone can see digital service on the
south rim but cannot use it (too far away for the timing to work). Force
analog, and calls can go through.

> I thought the EC/IO measured the relative interference levels "Signal
> to Noise ratio" created by all the other CDMA users. How does is this
> value used to rate one phones RF to another?

EC/IO is a measure the usable signal strength perceived by the phone.
It accounts for a rising noise floor as you have more users.

> Does 2G mean second generation, pre 1x?
I meant to say pre 1x.

> Is the best RF TDMA handset still the 6160?

--> oh, didn't mean to imply 6160 is the best, but it's very good.
The star tacs are very good too. I never used the panasonic and some of the
others
so I couldn't say. If you want a solid TDMA phone that is easy to use, with
cheaply available accessories (etc.) then I would definitely recommend the
6160.
I have always preferred the menu interface on the Nokias to the Star Tacs
but
that's just a personal preference.

> What is a Nokia GSM example?
Not sure what you mean (example of what?). I just bought an unlocked
Cingular 6340i so I could have a phone with the potential to use
GSM/TDMA 850/1900 and analog. I activated it with a GoPhone SIM
which means I can only use the GSM side, save 911 calls.

This phone includes the standard Nokia antenna adapter and works with
my other Nokia accessories so it's a nice basic phone. Looks like the
6360 which was an excellent RF perfomer from the TDMA days. Anyway,
this gets me 850 and 1900 mhz GSM with external antenna capability.

> Inductive antennas must work, or they couldn't get a signal to pass
> through the glass. Seems like there must be some loss" Silly, but I
> just don't trust antennas which don't keep the wires connected
> (hardwiring). Got ripped of on the very first (reradiating dipole)
> window mount antenna.

I have a magmount and glass mount antenna (separate). The magmount does
of course out-perform the glass mount, but both a good improvment for
my needs. I don't find the degredation of the glass mount to be problematic
for my applications.

> Thanks,
> David

--> Yes, nice visiting via usenet David. Hope you are having a nice summer,

-Dan

--
Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu

"Dan Albrich" <junkmail@shaney.uoregon.edui> wrote in message news:<MrqdnVd0_9KrEqvcRVn-hg@comcast.com>...

"Could be Pilot pollution or distance from tower.."
"I'd be curious if your results improved dramatically by forcing
analog prior to testing (assuming you haven't done that). I often
find myself requiring analog when hiking in the mountains where no
digital phone will work. Same phenomenon on the north rim of the
grand canyon. Your phone can see digital service on the south rim but
cannot use it (too far away for the timing to work). Force analog,
and calls can go through."

I encounter the "4 bars digital display, no connection limitation",
often. Especially on hill tops, where the power to send a signal, back
to the tower IN DIGITAL mode, just isn't there.
Using Analog, will still connect, from the same location, much of the
time.

That's another reason to keep analog in rural hilly areas. Just more
power,to cover distance.
I'm probably oversimplifying things.
I suspect there are a whole bunch of variables, including how the
tower is aimed, how many towers are getting picked up and interactions
with the terrain and flora.

I believe that digital signals may be aimed downward to roads and
valleys. Analog seems to be "broadcast" all over. The D/A relationship
behaves that way in many locations, though sometimes the opposite is
true. Often climbing up a hill, is the only way to get a digital
signal.

"--> oh, didn't mean to imply 6160 is the best, but it's very good.
The star tacs are very good too. .
If you want a solid TDMA phone that is easy to use, with cheaply
available accessories (etc.) then I would definitely recommend the
6160."

I have several CallPlus Nokias fired up already, just wanted to make
sure I wasn't stuck in a rut.

"Not sure what you mean (example of what?). I just bought an unlocked
Cingular 6340i so I could have a phone with the potential to use
GSM/TDMA 850/1900 and analog. I activated it with a GoPhone SIM which
means I can only use the GSM side, save 911 calls.
This phone includes the standard Nokia antenna adapter and works with
my other Nokia accessories so it's a nice basic phone. Looks like the
6360 which was an excellent RF performer from the TDMA days. Anyway,
this gets me 850 and 1900 mhz GSM with external antenna capability."

Pinch me!
I feel the urge for a new toy coming on;) A GSM prepay to test both
850 and 1900 would be way cool.
With ATT or Callplus prepaid, sounds like a significant step towards
the ultimate prepaid/test phone. An external antenna port too!

"GSM/TDMA 850/1900 and analog"

Did I interpret the modes correctly?
GSM 850 AND 1900 +
TDMA 850 AND 1900
AND Analog,
All in one handset?

Wow! Where's some more info on a prepay set up for an unlocked
Cingular 6340i?
(A CDMA/GSM/Analog version would be nice.)

-
Thanks,
David

> Did I interpret the modes correctly?
> GSM 850 AND 1900 +
> TDMA 850 AND 1900
> AND Analog,
> All in one handset?

Yep. This is correct. The original 6340 GAIT phone lacked 850Mhz GSM, but
the 6340i is a newer version to include GSM at 850.

> Wow! Where's some more info on a prepay set up for an unlocked
> Cingular 6340i?
> (A CDMA/GSM/Analog version would be nice.)

Nothing as cheap as ecallplus or free2go on the GSM side yet. I bit the
bullet and paid $20 for a GoPhone SIM which is only good for 30 days unless
I recharge. I have vacation coming this month, and plan to carry the AT&T
phone with me to see where it works etc. I'll let it "die" after 30 days,
then hope that I can still see signal without an activated phone. I got an
unlocked phone in case I decide to use a T-Mobile prepaid SIM.

One bad thing about GAIT so far : If you're in an area with no GSM, and your
SIM is a GSM-only SIM (ala GoPhone) then your phone will yield an error
when trying to select TDMA/analog. The problem I experience is that when
GSM signal is available again, the phone doesn't automatically find it. I
have to power-cycle the phone. I'm beginning to think it would have been
better to buy a Sony Ericson T226 -- just a GSM-Only phone with 850 and 1900
to avoid this issue.

Anyway, no biggy either way. A GAIT phone, activated on a GAIT plan is a
truly powerful thing, but a GAIT phone with a GSM-only SIM isn't ideal.

-Dan

--

"Dan Albrich" <junkmail@shaney.uoregon.edui> wrote in message news:<qvqdneEm_sW01KTcRVn-gA@comcast.com>...
> One bad thing about GAIT so far : If you're in an area with no GSM, and your
> SIM is a GSM-only SIM (ala GoPhone) then your phone will yield an error
> when trying to select TDMA/analog. The problem I experience is that when
> GSM signal is available again, the phone doesn't automatically find it. I
> have to power-cycle the phone. I'm beginning to think it would have been
> better to buy a Sony Ericson T226 -- just a GSM-Only phone with 850 and 1900
> to avoid this issue.
>
> Anyway, no biggy either way. A GAIT phone, activated on a GAIT plan is a
> truly powerful thing, but a GAIT phone with a GSM-only SIM isn't ideal.

Oh, so you can't register the GSM with one carrier, "Go Phone" and the
TDMA with another, like Ecallplus. And if you want TDMA/analog only
you can't let the SIM die and then register the phone on ecallplus as
a TDMA/analog?
It's all a package activation? No prepaid multinetwork GSM/TDMA/AMPS

So to get full multinetwork capability do you need a regular yearly
ATT/Cingular contract plan? Is there a special GAIT plan?

-
David

> So to get full multinetwork capability do you need a regular yearly
> ATT/Cingular contract plan? Is there a special GAIT plan?

Yes. In GAITland, the SIM contains info needed for both GSM and TDMA
which is actually very weird. I do not believe it would be possible to do
two different GSM/TDMA plans.

-Dan

--
Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest