Sign in with
Your question

Any Motherboards with AGP and PCI express

Last response: in Motherboards
June 7, 2005 10:55:12 PM

i was wondering if there were any motherboads with both AGP and PCI, tis is for i am plannig a PC that will last for the long term, i have a good 9800 pro now agp and i am not looking to replace it. But in the future PCI will be better.

Also should i wait untill the next Intel Pentium rage comes out or will the AMD now be more powerfull?

thank you

the turk
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2005 6:39:53 AM

There are a few, but all except for the ULi chipset boards use PCI for an AGP card, hardly an acceptable solution. And ULi chipset boards are very hard to find!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
June 8, 2005 2:35:30 PM

Just get a socket 939 board!

<b><font color=blue>Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX (Dual Channel)/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax Noisetaker/ Dual Mitsubishi 21 Inch Monitors</b></font color=blue>
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2005 5:27:39 PM

Which one?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
June 8, 2005 5:37:33 PM

ARE THEY ANY GOOD, (these AGP and PCI boards)

the turk
June 8, 2005 5:59:28 PM

Probably not as good as a dedicated PCIe or AGP board.

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one thath will go wrong first will be the one that will do the most possible damage
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2005 6:16:06 PM

ULi's solution looks promissing, their combination chipset putting a real AGP8x controller on the southbridge and linking that to the PCI-Express nortbridge via a HyperTransport bus, but I still haven't found any boards using it!

June 8, 2005 11:21:11 PM

Here's a <A HREF="http://www.ocworkbench.com/2005/uli/m1695/g1.htm" target="_new">review</A> of a <b>reference/sample</b> board using the chipset Crashman was speaking of.

I hope some manufacturers higher up the tier pick up this chipset (instead of the typical ECS, Jetway, et cetera). I'd hate to see a good chipset go to waste on cheap boards, like how SIS gets continually screwed over. Abit recently picked up the ULI 1689 chipset with a <A HREF="http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?catego..." target="_new">socket 754 board</A>. So, there's a glint of hope that they'll make a board using another ULI chipset(the M1695)!
June 9, 2005 12:07:07 PM

thanks mate

the turk
a b V Motherboard
June 14, 2005 6:13:49 AM

Wow, that does look just about perfect, no?

Give me the contact info for ULi, I'll ask them which partners I should contact for a review sample on a production board.

!