Need help with bad FPS/stuttering in video games

vplol

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Hi! I wasn't really sure where to post this, but this seems like the right place... D:

I recently built my new computer, but i can't really run any newer games because of the horrible stuttering I get, in bad company 2, my FPS is constantly over 60, but still the microstuttering can be seen and it's extremely annoying. In AC 2, my fps keeps dropping to like 15 every few seconds, I have tried switching the card to a different PCI-Express slot on my motherboard, but that didn't help. I think installing older drivers could possibly work, but I don't really know where I could find older drivers.

Here are my specs:

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
2GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
Sapphire HD 5750 @ Stock clocks
AMD Athlon II x3 440 @ 3GHz

vplol

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
I switched to 10.4 drivers and it helped a bit, but still didn't make the games very playable. Anyone had a problem like this and know a way to fix it?

isamuelson

Distinguished
I'm not sure about the Athlons. I do know the Phenoms have more cache that most Athlons (depends on which chips you have).

I have a Phenom II X3 720BE and even on three cores, the CPU runs games like a champ. I don't have AC2, but I do have BC2 and I get an average of around 40 to 50 fps (drops to around 35 sometimes depending on the action) and that's at 1280x1024 with quite a lot of detail running.

I also have a 5750 as well. I would definitely look at getting the 10.8 Catalyst drivers. Somewhere along the lines, the 10.x drivers fix a lot of issues with BC2 and 10.8b is the latest (the 8b was a hotfix to the original 10.8 drivers).

If none of that helps (and I guess it depends on what detail and resolution you are running your games at), then I might have to point to the CPU as being the culprit.

But, I also do have 4 gigs of RAM and that would definitely help. Also, how much memory does your GPU have? My 5750 has 1 gig.