Best Intel LGA775 Pentium 4 based games machine

meditek

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2005
It would be great if someone could tell me about a 'money no object' spec for a games machine based on the LGA775. Full spec from chip to monitor please. I realise this is boring but I just want to order the stuff and get on with it. I like Pentiums because I've suffered to many heat failures with AMD.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
The problems with AMD and heat are gone now.
Intel's CPUs are the ones that run hotter now.
If you don't believe me do a little reading around the forum.
If you decide on AMD tell us what's your budget.
If you still want an Intel system mozzartusm can help you he has a very good Intel system.

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one thath will go wrong first will be the one that will do the most possible damage

meditek

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2005
Thanks. I'm quite flexible. After 25 years of sorting through tests and opinions, I've had that. I say again that cost is not an issue - I have an unlimited budget. So please :-

Motherboard :-
Processor :-
Power supply :-
Hard disks :-
DVD R/W :-
Cd R/w :-
Memory :-
Graphics card :-
Monitor :-

In addition I need built in Networking and sound. I use earphones.

Please fill in the blanks.

Thanks.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
starfishy was building a rig in the $8,000-$10,000 range, if your budget is unlimited he could give you a list of what he bought.
Anyway I'll try to make a list then I'll post it and the other guys can give you opinions if there are better options than what I'll give you.

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one thath will go wrong first will be the one that will do the most possible damage

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Unlimited budget! Well alrighty then!

CPU= P4 670 or 3.73EE

MOBO= ASUS P5WD2 or Gigabytes new 955 Royal"Im not sure about the Gigabyte board yet.

RAM= Either Crucial Ballistix DDR2 PC5300 or Corsairs fastest DDR2

PSU= Thermaltake 680W PurePower "3 12V rails"

Harddrives= 2 Raptor HD's in SATA interface
1 larger HD just pick one. IDE

Video card - ATI 850XT Platinum

Cooling= Koolance video card enclosure, Waterblock for the Northbridge and the CPU. We would need to discuss the rest of the liquid cooling system.

OS= Windows XP Home edition not Pro

<font color=green>NED FLANDERS FOR PRESIDENT</font color=green> Its justa nother gansta PARTY!
Intel P4 Extreme(3.73)@<font color=green>5.6Ghz</font color=green>
Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 667@DDR2 855

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Unlimited budget! You should get a 37" to 42" Plasma for the monitor. Trust me, its better than sliced bread!

<font color=green>NED FLANDERS FOR PRESIDENT</font color=green> Its justa nother gansta PARTY!
Asus P5AD2-E-Premium

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Im not saying that the home ed. is better, but it doesnt run as much junk that you will never use in the background. Even XP home uses to much memory to suit my taste so I always go into services.msg and tweak the OS. Pro is great, but use it only if you need the extra networking stuff.

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium

VENOX

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2005
At work i use only XP Pro on the workstations, i found home edition a lil bit unstable in some cases. it is true that i need those extra net comp's. To bad Linux isn't so popular with common user's. I would not hesitate having linux installed on all workstations. The server i'm running is based on Suse Linux.

INTEL, ASUS, NVIDIA, GEIL

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
That's a great system!
Do you know if starfishy finished the 10K rig?

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Ive been wondering about that myself. Ill send him a PM and see whats going on with system.

I built one a few months ago for this rich bastard that throws money around like its nothing. It ended up running around 6K but $2500.00 WAS FOR A HD Plasma. Ive got a 37" Plasma that I use for the monitor and TV. Its great.

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium