Sign in with
Your question

Final Fantasy 14 is a joke...

Last response: in Video Games
September 13, 2010 2:11:41 PM

Ok, so im playin tha open beta for FF14 here and tryin to figure out what i was waiting for in the past few months. This game is absolutely terrible. The models, graphics and style are all beautiful, but they actual game is just sooo bad. I would love to elaborate on why combat, coding and limitations are all balls-ass suck, but I would rather hear you gentlemen's opinion.

Anyone else playing the beta? Having fun? if so, why? :pt1cable: 

More about : final fantasy joke

September 13, 2010 2:50:52 PM

Thought you were going to say the games requirements are a joke.
People seemed to complain about it, I haven't tried the beta yet but the benchmark runs great.
m
l
September 13, 2010 4:08:17 PM

well maybe any game up to 14 is wearing thin
thoe the benchmark looked good
m
l
Related resources
September 13, 2010 4:40:19 PM

Every Final Fanasty since 7 sucks balls - just one long CG clip after another with a tiny amount of interaction needed to just string them together.

I'm a little disappointed in anybody who thought it would be anything different.
m
l
September 13, 2010 4:57:53 PM

well I, for one, gentlemen have never played a final fantasy game. however I was told this one was to be the greatness. Yet hark alas it did fail heartily. They best delay release another year or be destroyed.

any other thoughts ?
m
l
September 13, 2010 5:14:06 PM

kyle382 said:
well I, for one, gentlemen have never played a final fantasy game. however I was told this one was to be the greatness. Yet hark alas it did fail heartily. They best delay release another year or be destroyed.

any other thoughts ?

Too harsh, you never played it then why and hope for it to never release?
Some people will enjoy it, newcomers may even feel like it's a great experiance.
So all in all, I liked the concept of the benchmark, and how everything looked. Of course, I won't buy the game though.
m
l
September 13, 2010 6:41:29 PM

well now, i did say i played the beta for a while just not the previous games in the series.

dare ye not alt+tab in this game gentlemen or a crash u shall recieve...

any other thoughts?
m
l
September 13, 2010 9:30:05 PM

Complaining about performance issues in a beta client makes you look like a dumbass.

m
l
September 14, 2010 6:04:50 AM

i purposefully avoided going into detail about the performance issues gentlemen. Read the post mr. fulle.

Just wondering how you gentlemen's are receiving the game really. bi now.
m
l
September 14, 2010 3:42:05 PM

no not at all, I think games of this general theme are in dire need of graphical improvement, so that aspect was welcome. and just like any other game, if you own a computer made a few years ago, then just turn the graphics down a bit and it should not be a problem. thank u gentlemen for your response
m
l
September 14, 2010 4:15:56 PM

kyle382 said:
no not at all, I think games of this general theme are in dire need of graphical improvement, so that aspect was welcome. and just like any other game, if you own a computer made a few years ago, then just turn the graphics down a bit and it should not be a problem. thank u gentlemen for your response

This game is heavily dependant on your cpu and ram though. Doesn't it use all 4 cores if available?
m
l
September 14, 2010 4:49:21 PM

yep
m
l
September 15, 2010 5:30:36 AM

the IGN FF14 preview just came out. The issue of needing a supercomputer to run the game on high settings did arise. Hopefully these issues will be addressed in the next 2 weeks.

and now ladies and gentlemen I would like to speak on the issue of jumping and flying in FF14....or lack thereof. I have been told that this is a feature of all final fantasy games. maybe you can get a pet later that lets you fly, but no jumping still does not jive with me.

Sure its annoying in Wow when everyone around u is jumping around like idiots all the time, but its more annoying to have to walk around a log that seems 5 inches of the ground. Your thoughts gentlemen?

m
l
September 16, 2010 5:55:16 AM

These games rarely appeal to anyone who do not favor the genre. I played 11 , i actually played the hell out of 11 , i loved that game. If 14 is just as good i will be sated. Although if it is better, i will be quite pleased. I am just very happy that all the wow fanbois seem to hate 14 not seeing them in 14 because of that fanboism makes me even happier.

I also do think its quite funny when people freak out over a game when its in beta, if people know the trend of how 11 turned out they would not be complaining at all. But then again, people making informed decisions is usually asking far too much, but as i stated before , the people who write the game off wont be missed.
m
l
September 16, 2010 6:11:37 AM

o r they adding the ability to jump in the final release? ha jk, this is not the deal breaker for all of you gentlemen.

But yes I agree this game only appeals to ff "fanboys".

and pirate, we here ladies and gentlemen of this thread, are people interested in the games potential and discussing the beta progress...not just ranting.
m
l
September 17, 2010 2:22:36 PM

seriously though, I know that especially for you Final fantasy fans, complaining about jumping must seem like a joke, but to me its a huge part of the experience. Nobody else missing the ability to move vertically?
m
l
September 17, 2010 2:27:47 PM

The beta was extremely well done, for a beta. I'm very excited for the full release.

How can you claim the game is balls, but never go into any further detail? This makes you appear to be an idiot. Please elaborate.
m
l
September 17, 2010 2:44:28 PM

lun4tic said:
The beta was extremely well done, for a beta. I'm very excited for the full release.

How can you claim the game is balls, but never go into any further detail? This makes you appear to be an idiot. Please elaborate.

It is fine for what it is, hopefully they fix the many problems with it. These aren't big issues either so they should be fixed with no issues.

Some issues already stated:
Jumping(I really don't give a damn about jumping, people are complaining in custom starcraft games you can't jump too, there are games that just don't need it.)

Performance - Personally, I got weird framerate issues where it jumped at times that didn't look to be...demanding. If you say, "Oh, well get a better pc, yours must be ***" then tell me how a 5770 and an Athlon II quad @3.4GHz is too shitty.
m
l
September 17, 2010 2:51:04 PM

The game is based on nVidia and Intel hardware.

There's no reason to jump in this game, so who cares?
m
l
September 17, 2010 2:56:28 PM

lun4tic said:
The game is based on nVidia and Intel hardware.

There's no reason to jump in this game, so who cares?

For the first thing, that's a big problem then, and needs to be useful for both Nvidia and AMD users.
Speaking of which, Nvidia cards have problems with distance settings in the beta...so I don't actually believe it's better optimized for Nvidia cards.

The second, you said the same thing I just answered with. There's no need for jumping in games such as this.
m
l
September 17, 2010 3:54:12 PM

SE purposefully optimized for i7 CPUs and nVidia graphics cards. It's marked as a TWIMTBP game. It runs fine for AMD, but it's optimized for Intel/nVidia.
m
l
September 17, 2010 7:33:24 PM

to say there is no need for jumping is completely your opinion and a shallow answer. Why don't you care about jumping or flying? Why do most rpg games include it?

Its of course not a critical thing for most people I just don't get why its not included as most humanoids can jump and the ones in this game can not. Just takes an element of realism out of it and to ME at least thats really important.

as for the nvidia, intel rambling, yes as stated in several other threads, severe graphical optimization must occur especially for nvidia cards. We look forward to seeing that in the final release.

m
l
September 17, 2010 7:35:04 PM

lun4tic said:
SE purposefully optimized for i7 CPUs and nVidia graphics cards. It's marked as a TWIMTBP game. It runs fine for AMD, but it's optimized for Intel/nVidia.

no, thats just bad for business friend. They will optimize for both.
m
l
September 17, 2010 7:36:29 PM

lun4tic said:

the title is to grab ur attention. My not elaborating is to not start a flame fest. next time make a useful post. thank u gentlemen
m
l
September 17, 2010 7:46:49 PM

kyle382 said:
the title is to grab ur attention. My not elaborating is to not start a flame fest. next time make a useful post. thank u gentlemen

Ok, how can I explain this to you in a way that you'll understand? The game is currently optimized for Intel/nVidia hardware and drivers, it will not receive any optimizations for AMD. It may receive general optimzations that will benefit everybody, but not AMD players specifically.

I don't actually know of any RPGs where the player can jump. It's pointless and contributes nothing to the game itself. If you're so inclined to jump, forget about video games and buy a trampoline.
m
l
September 17, 2010 7:54:39 PM

wow wow wow...that attitude is completely unnecessary friend. Its a completely legitimate question and no reason to be a dick about it.

There is nothing to explain lunatic. Ur loony if you think SE won't optimize graphics for both brands. That would be neglecting a gigantic portion of their players. Sure nvidia's might be slightly shinier, but both will run much smoother at launch.

seriously thou bud, if you have nothing constructive to say just don't post. ty gentlemen.
m
l
September 17, 2010 8:00:32 PM

Many singleplayer RPG's you can jump.

Oblivion- you can jump over boulders, jump of bridges 60 ft high, jump and slash. I would argue that in this game that saves time while ur traveling, ads an extra element of strategy and its just plain fun to me.

fallout-you can jump...

world of warcraft- you can jump....

When I walk up to a ledge that looks like maybe 1 foot tall and I have to walk around the hill to get up that ledge...its just not realistic or fun.

yes, in many rpgs you can't jump and I never understood that. The question at hand was, "jumping and flying, why does it not have it or need it?" Flaming on about even asking the question of jumping is just absurd.
m
l
September 17, 2010 8:29:35 PM

What have you had to say that's constructive? You complain that you can't do something that would have no effect on gameplay whatsoever while claiming the game is terrible without actually explaining why. You're posting flame bait, so don't claim you're not trying to start a flame war. Besides, this isn't a flame war, it's me explaining things to you while you fail to understand and overreact.

SE doesn't have to optimize for anything. They're most likely being paid by Intel/nVidia, or have had success working with them in the past. Yes, they'll provide a smooth experience for all users, but one that will be smoother for Intel/nVidia users.

There's nothing strategic about jumping over rocks and boulders. It wasn't strategic in Oblivion, Fallout, or World of Warcraft. It's not even strategic in games like COD, BF, or what-have-you. It's just a way for kids to be obnoxious and bunny hop or dolphin dive. Get over it.
m
l
September 17, 2010 9:54:01 PM

and so there u have that mans opinion, gentlemen.

anyone else have a some things to speak on this topics?
m
l
September 17, 2010 10:21:24 PM

Still nothing to contribute to your own thread? I'd really like to hear your well thought-out opinions and assessments of game systems in this game during its beta phase.
m
l
September 18, 2010 12:27:15 AM

previous to ur rage session...you can find my comments and questions. thank u and be silent now u particular gentleman
m
l
September 18, 2010 12:08:25 PM

Jumping is not realistic how would the hell can you jump in insanely heavy armor?? Final fantasy 14 CANNOT be compared to fallout 3 and oblivion. WoW's jump was pointless. Also alot of games optimize to specifically nvidia or Ati you cant optimize for all. But differences are minor usually.
m
l
September 18, 2010 2:47:05 PM

he just said...no rpgs have jumping...those games are rpgs. I didn't say they were exactly like FF ever...at any point.

If your wearing leather armor I don't think its that difficult to jump over a log or down a steep slope. Makes traveling quicker and more realistic AT LEAST. As mentioned before, several times, it is obviously not a game breaking addition.

to be clear about the optimization thing:

AS OF NOW IN THE BETA...neither ati OR nvidia work great. SURE the developer is getting paid more by one of the companies and they will cater to their needs 2x! YES, I get that. however, since BOTH are not working very well right now they must IMPROVE (lets avoid the vague optimize word for now) graphics and related coding for BOTH brands.
m
l
September 18, 2010 3:00:50 PM

Well its 9/18 today gentlemen and so not much time remains for the developxors.

We have heard little from folks who actually care to even critique a beta so I googled some other threads related to this one. One man had quite a bit to say about several of the topics covered herein.

"
The world is horribly rigid. Think AoC, nice at first sight, terrible after experience. You will feel locked in under normal circumstances, coming from DF even worse so.

No jumping, no swimming, no freedom. You are stuck on the ground and that is where you will stay. You will look into the distance and see a lovely water fall, but you cannot go look up close, or touch it, get in it, splash about.

For a semi-sandbox from a well established company it really lacks a lot of depth and is very restrictive in all aspects.

And I say this as a big fan of FF games in general, sadly the game just continues the downward trend of recent Square releases."
m
l
September 18, 2010 3:22:32 PM

This is funny, because the game is not meant to be a "semi-sandbox" ffxi didn't have jumping or swimming, and rightly so.... And using the argument that jumping adds realism is kinda moot to me, i don't wanna log into the game and see hundreds of people jumping around like mindless drones like WoW( Dalaran). This game takes many trends from ffxi but will expand on how endgame and general content is delivered and played. The guildleve system adds much direction when soloing or even playing in groups, in ffxi you had xp parties that hinged on brutal repetition to lvl up, this adds a bit of a dynamic change that was not present in ffxi.
People will see with the coming months how content (paid for/free) will make its way into the game in the form of "mini expansions" giving the lved up characters more things to do if they have already mastered what is currently available, much of which is not present in the beta.

There are many things that will make their appearance in 14 as time goes by (as is the trend of SE) in the form of advanced jobs, and more challenging experiences in the form of endgame leves and dungeons. It is a simple fact that most people that like this game and anticipate what will happen with it are people ready for a different mmo, and hardcore ffxi fans (majority not all).

As for this "downward trend of recent square releases" this is very irrelevant, if he is talking about the release of ff13, which i agree was a pretty big failure it is tottaly irrelevant and has no connection to the game mechanics of 14, ffxi was highly successful and still contains a strong gaming population (although not on the popularity or "success" level of WoW" the games are different in many ways, ffxi is "harder" and takes a lot more time to excel and bring your character to endgame readiness, at first a very intimidating game that was highly unforgiving, although still retained its popularity.

I emphasize ffxi so much because if SE is smart they will implement some of the strong points of this successful mmo (some of which i have already stated , advanced jobs, content delivery etc etc."

In the end people who wrote the game off in spite of any phase of the beta, truly don't matter, the same with people who will not play this game to give a meaningful critique, although one of the main things people need to realize is this game does has flaws that WILL be addressed, over time. Although to the people crying about the "tactical need to jump" i promise this will not ever be addressed.
FFXI took time to become the game it is today and i as many of the fans of the game including the ones who are in denial about their love/hate relationship of ffxi know that good things take time. Simply put.
m
l
September 18, 2010 9:57:21 PM

hahaha you wrote an essay of rage. Unfortunately nobody is impressed and your *** makes no sense.

"In the end people who wrote the game off in spite of any phase of the beta, truly don't matter, the same with people who will not play this game to give a meaningful critique, although one of the main things people need to realize is this game does has flaws that WILL be addressed, over time. Although to the people crying about the "tactical need to jump" i promise this will not ever be addressed.
FFXI took time to become the game it is today and i as many of the fans of the game including the ones who are in denial about their love/hate relationship of ffxi know that good things take time. Simply put. "

1.We are here to critique this game, yes.

2.the last thing any gamer with good taste would do is break a sweat over FF's failure. I didn't play the others and don't give a *** if this one fails because its Age of conan with an asian style and an unlimited teleport system instead of something ******* creative. Imagine that.

3. Basically you just summed up a common fact that EVERYONE who has ever played an mmo already knows. They get released to early and slowly get improved. This is a beta wow congrats ya noticed.

listen gentlemen, this forum is not designed to draw in FF fanboys who want to rage about the title of the thread. Its for legitimate commentary about the beta...If you don't want to talk about jumping..then don't. It is just a topic of interest for me.

m
l
September 21, 2010 12:16:05 AM

ha ha and your claims are legitimate. PS. saying "gentlemen" over and over doesn't make you seem more intelligent than you really are.

"the last thing any gamer with good taste would do is break a sweat over FF's failure. I didn't play the others and don't give a *** if this one fails because its Age of conan with an asian style and an unlimited teleport system instead of something ******* creative. Imagine that. "

How is this a meaningful critique, you are being so redundant it makes me laugh.
m
l
September 21, 2010 12:37:59 PM

So we need realism in this game? Then I guess we'll have to get rid of half of the characters/creatures/towns/ships/weapons.

Also, for a game that's optimized for Nvidia and Intel, it's great to see that Nvidia cards currently have problems with the settings in the game, twiddle with the field of view and terrible things can happen.
Intel, of course Intel would be better optimized then an AMD processor, because the i7's are generally faster then the current processors for AMD.

Is FF14 going to work on getting the game to be optimized for AMD as well? No.
That's not their job, it's the actual company such as AMD to release drivers for the game.
m
l
September 21, 2010 3:39:20 PM

"So we need realism in this game? Then I guess we'll have to get rid of half of the characters/creatures/towns/ships/weapons."

Very well said man, Asking for "realism" in a fantasy game with cat women and elves is quite funny, why not stop calling for realism when asking for a game mechanic...I am running a phenom x4 965 BE, coupled with my gtx460 the game is very smooth. But yes i can see that people with a bit older systems may have problems with rendering.
m
l
September 21, 2010 5:17:53 PM

sockpirate said:
"So we need realism in this game? Then I guess we'll have to get rid of half of the characters/creatures/towns/ships/weapons."

Very well said man, Asking for "realism" in a fantasy game with cat women and elves is quite funny, why not stop calling for realism when asking for a game mechanic...I am running a phenom x4 965 BE, coupled with my gtx460 the game is very smooth. But yes i can see that people with a bit older systems may have problems with rendering.

My athlon II and 5770 runs this with little issues, of course you get that performance hog you normally get in open worlds.
I won't be playing this game any longer though, as the only rpg I really like are single player ones. Fallout, Mass effect, the ones where you dont have the burden of being lvl.2 when half of the other members are beyond 50.
Also, I always stray away from missions unless I really need to do them, tried the WoW week trial and I was extremely bored wandering about until a dinosaur killed me D:
Never even heard of runescape until I was 16, and it was funny to get opinions on it.

So I would be classified as the common fps gamer, but puzzle games(Bought every single popcap game out) are one of my fave types of games.
m
l
September 21, 2010 7:35:42 PM

sockpirate said:

agree that the cat woman thing is ridiculous and a bit perverted, but beside the point. Realism in terms of a humanoid characters being able to jump...because they have legs, vs a realistic overall game style is completely different thing. You know it, its obvious, ur just raging...thanks 4 doin that.

your 5770 runs this game well because that's what it was intended for...high end systems. Hopefully they will optimize graphics for both brands to some extent and on lower end cards as well.

When BFBC2 was in beta you couldn't run the game without a supercomputer and almost required a quad core system. Half way through the beta they "optimized" the graphics and coding to where dual core systems with high end g.cards could almost max out the settings.

Dalta, ur really graspin at straws here with the optimization thing. Do you work for a game developer? Do you personally know that the game designer and not AMD is doing ANY optimizations whatsoever? I would say that in all likelihood BOTH parties are working on getting the game to run smoother on a variety of systems;however in the end it does not matter at all. The game WILL run smoother or it just won't sell many copies. Done with that aspect of the thread. Thank u gentlemen.

m
l
September 22, 2010 12:27:40 PM

Why does it feel like you don't want jumping, but a running leap across small objects?
m
l
September 22, 2010 1:26:55 PM

Why is it that every thread I go into, Kyle382 is arguing with everyone and pretending that 'they' are the ones raging whenever they bring up legitimate points? Please people, stop feeding the trolls. Trolls don't understand logic and reason.

On topic, I think not including jumping and swimming is dumb. Sure they aren't needed in a game, but they should be standard by now. Jumping adds in another variable that allows for creative use of terrain. Speaking back to when I played WoW, I couldn’t count the amount of times jumping gave me the ability to avoid a beating. How dumb is it that a person would have to path around a small log? As for swimming, the issue for me is open environment. After playing Oblivion, FO, WoW and WAR, have an open environment is almost a must for me in a RPG.

Just my 2c.

*INCOMING POST DETECTED* Kyle posts about how I am being hostile, request that I go to WoW forums (means thread, but doesn’t know the right term) or say some other stupid remark, then pretend to be the victim by being polite.
m
l
September 22, 2010 5:13:56 PM

using the term "gentlemen" to finish his post bahahha
m
l
September 24, 2010 12:22:55 AM

haha :D  you caught me. My first real name is "Cat" and last name is "zigs"...n so thank u gentlemen for posting its good to finally see we are having an opinion from both sides here.

ideally, ladies and gentlemen, I would just like to have a thread that's controversial, but doesn't spark hatred and raging. Unfortunately, like most nerds, when I am directly insulted I find it hard not to respond...I'm sure you can relate as seen in this thread.

"you know whot u doin..."

m
l
September 24, 2010 12:33:57 AM

Nerds get heated just like everyone else! Lets hug it out.
m
l
September 24, 2010 12:43:34 AM

:love:  *uploading hug* 110% complete
m
l
September 24, 2010 1:30:50 AM

That comment there could get you banned, because it looks like a troll post.
The, "Alll your base" one.
m
l
September 24, 2010 2:04:47 AM

u my frien....are just jealous.

I'm reporting u to the interweb police. expect a summons. :D 
m
l
September 24, 2010 2:52:22 AM

Did someone call?
m
l