Shall i get an AMD or Intel

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
Hi i am going to get a new motherboard and was wondering if i should get AMD or Intel, i play alot of games, also i will be using my previous hardware (eg old hard drive and 9800 pro) will using a AMD create any problem with my previous hardware or previous software like windows XP.

thank you
Eren

the turk

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
AMD will smoke Intel for games. + they run cooler. There are a couple of 939 boards available that support AGP, but I haven't heard much about them. You could go with 754 also and save a few bucks. What kind of $$ do you plan on spending?

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
You can get a mobo with socket 939 and AGP for around $85 and the processor will be around $140-150 for a 3000+ venice core

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one thath will go wrong first will be the one that will do the most possible damage

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123230" target="_new">http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123230</A>
I don't know if they'll ship where you live, but if not you can at least see the specs and look for something similar where you live.

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one thath will go wrong first will be the one that will do the most possible damage

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
DO YOU THINK THIS BOARD IS A GOOD ONE

AND DOES IT ACCEPT DDR 226
the turk<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TurkzZ on 06/10/05 07:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
yes it looks like a nice board, however with it being a nforce, will ATI cards suffer?

also anyone got any cheeper options?

thanks

the turk

endyen

Splendid
I have been running Ati cards on nforce chipsets for about three years (including the nforce3 for about 8 months) They work very well together. Funny thing is, often Ati cards work better than nvidia's own.
You may be able to find a cheaper s939 mobo, but not with an nforce chipset. The nforce chipsets are the best.
For example, the single chip chipset keeps the mobo about 5c cooler. They generally win most benchmarks over other chipsets as well.
I am pretty sure the board will work with your ram, but you will take a fair perf hit, for going so much slower on the memory interface. The system would do best with DDR400. You also gain by having a matched pair of ram, as then the memory can act in dual channel.

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
hi which cpu will go with the EPOX EP-9NDA3+, nForce3 Ultra,Socket-939, whats the difference between Venice core, San Diego ect, which one is better, what kind of speend is good, is 3000 good?

also how many yeas longer will AGP last, and will getting a AMD 64 be better than getting an intel for in the future 64bit will be used and only very very expensive intel cpu's use 64bit (thats what i heard), will AMD 64 last long?
the turk<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TurkzZ on 06/11/05 09:55 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

HansGruber

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
3000 is good, it's only 1.8Ghz but performance is really great.
It's the ultimate budget CPU :D

Check this too - > <A HREF="http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=574&cid=3" target="_new">AGP MB testing</A>

will AMD 64 last long?
You can buy new CPU's for socket 939 at the end of 2006, or at least till the end of 2006 summer.

About AGP, it probably won't last that long, so pci-e is recommended.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by HansGruber on 06/11/05 12:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Venice core is the better core of the low price CPUs.
It has a 512K cache and it adds SSE3 instructions to the winchester core.
San Diego has a 1MB cache.

<font color=blue>If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will go wrong first will be the one that will do the most possible damage</font color=blue>

RichPLS

Champion
The AMD 3000 is roughly equilvant to a Pentium4 3000.
No comparison really to a P4 1800...

AMD systems do more work per clock cycle, therefore came the need for the Pentium rating system.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

HansGruber

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
<A HREF="http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD0xMjU1JnVybF9wYWdlPTk=" target="_new">Here is good test of AMD 3000</A>

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2429&p=2" target="_new">Even better </A>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by HansGruber on 06/11/05 11:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

RichPLS

Champion
Raw power ain't all it takes, power plus optimization is what it takes in the real world.

I mean, if the dragster has 1200HP, but is not optimized to grip the track and shoot off, then a 800HP dragster could stomp it.

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Id rather have a big engine at lower RPM's than a small engine at very high RPM's... I think this fits the case perfectly! American Muscle RULES!

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"

RichPLS

Champion
I agree, there is nothing like good ole American horsepower!

RichPLS

Champion
This cuming from such a refined wanker!