Laptop for COD4

G

I have a Presario CQ61, Windows 7/64, AMD Athlon II Dual-Core M320, 2100 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s) 320GB, 4GB RAM,
Available Virtual Memory5.45 GB AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200.
I just tried CoD4 for the first time. I get slow down whenever the action starts hotting up a bit. Movement nearly stalls at times making it impossible to play. Is my machine not up to the job or may I have incorrect settings. Even when down to 800 x 600 i get the slowdown. Please help

the GPU is a low end IGP that was never intended to play video games and since this is a laptop, you can't really do anything about it (ie not replaceable and there isn't an external solution yet that is mainstream)

G

Oh Bollox! Looks like I'll have to have that PC built then. I played on a friends PC for the first time recently after years of consoles and was stunned at the quality. Anybody have any suggestions for a ground up build on a budget, primarily for gaming only. Is it worth trawling for 2nd hand hardware? Optimum set up for say £500? (base unit only) I see people listing their hardware with all the funky names and numbers but to be honest I have a basic understanding of these at best. So if you could base any replies on the assumption I'm an idiot that would be great. Any help, advice, mickey taking happily received :pt1cable:

probably Athlon II X3 + ATI 5770 would be in that budget if you only need the tower

though i suggest going into the Systems:Homebuilt section and ask there as i don't know overseas retailers (I'm in the US so i have newegg)